BMW Collision Warning System

 Yet another auto feature making it's way to motorcycles.
The system uses radar to scan traffic conditions ahead and if it thinks your getting ready to run into the back of suddenly stopped traffic.

When it thinks your in danger of a collision it will first display a warning icon on the dash followed by two quick pulses of the brakes to let the rider know to look out. If there are no reactions from the rider the brakes will be softly applied. This has the brakes on the ready because there is already pressure in the system.
If there is no actual situation the throttle just needs a twist that will release the brakes.

Yeah,, it's just more junk to inflate the price of bikes cost and maintenance but I know of one person that if he would of had this monitoring system on his Goldwing it could of possible saved him from a horrific accident that put a windshield into his throat and his wife up and over him and lying in the back of someone's now dented pickup.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-tech/bmw-radar-advanced-collision-warning-system/

Re: BMW Collision Warning System

Re: BMW Collision Warning System

The last thing I will ever want on a motorcycle is my bike fighting me for control. There's a lane departure correction feature on the car I drive that pisses me off so much by trying to gently tug the steering every time it thinks I am too close to a line, I turn it off except when I am driving long distances late a night on the freeway, where the possibility of dozing off and wandering lanes becomes more likely, and that feature becomes potentially life saving. But I wouldn't want even that feature in those circumstances on a bike. Alerts are ok, interventions not (except ABS and TC).
This ^
Totally this ^

The last tractor i was assigned had these modern features.

The auto-braking was infuriating when the highway curved left at an off-ramp. The radar would sense a stopping car ‘ahead,’ and it would hammer the brakes in a panic stop while my eyes were already looking through the corner.
Heart rate, cortisol, swearing, loathing ensued.

Re: BMW Collision Warning System

hacksaw
The more shit they put on bikes the less riders are going to pay attention to what may kill you.
I don’t care for most all
New bikes anyway.

Re: BMW Collision Warning System

oldironnow
I feel ya there.

I’m riding around today on errands wishing for a simpler existence.

It’s all doable.

Re: BMW Collision Warning System

hacksaw
a simpler existence! my personal holy grail.