CHRIS VINCENT SIDECAR CHAMPION DIES

Allred

This will mean very little to most if not all on this forum, but I have just received news that sidecar racing genius Chris Vincent has died.

Chris Vincent was a hero to many during the '50s and '60s for his amazing achievements in his sidecar racing career, and I was one of his many devoted fans.

During these times the two engines that were the most successful in sidecar outfits were BMWs and BSAs, for whatever reason Triumphs and Nortons, were just not as conducive to the requirements of sidecar racing, I assume it was a case of torque characteristics rather than horsepower, because the reverse was true when it came to solo machines.

The Germans like Max Deubel, Helmut Fath, Fritz Scheidegger, Klaus Enders, etc, were favored with (unofficial) works BMW support and the British teams designed their own (non works support) machines with British twins.

Chris Vincent did race BMWs at times but without works support he favored the BSA A7 & A10, and later BSA A50 & A65 motors for his kneeler outfit.

Chris wasn't the first to design and use a kneeler-style sidecar outfit, but he was a pioneer of the styling.

The Germans dominated the GP scene with their works supported machines, but at short circuit racing Chris Vincent was also magic to watch, and there was plenty of skilled opposition in addition to the German machines, Fred, Roy and Tom Hanks, Terry Vinnicombe, Mac Hobson, Charlie Freeman, Bill Bodice, Pip Harris, etc, etc  These people worked out of the back of their vans for the love of the sport.

During a major meet at Cadwell Park, someone broke Chris Vincent's long standing lap record by a fraction of a second. Chris immediately requested special permission to go out and do two laps alone between scheduled races. His request was granted and I watched him do one "warm-up" lap and then broke the lap record by 2 or 3 seconds on his second lap!

He is one of the few people I have admired in my life, he is part of my history, and is sincerely missed.

Re: CHRIS VINCENT SIDECAR CHAMPION DIES

grado
Out of the back of their vans, for the love of the sport

A very powerful statement, appreciated by but a few.

Here ya go Allred. That's Chris in the 2nd clip.

https://youtu.be/dH41wItINQc

https://youtu.be/xJEsi-YSr5g

https://youtu.be/NvNPIacuz3Y

RIP Chris.

Re: CHRIS VINCENT SIDECAR CHAMPION DIES

Allred
Some memories there Grado.

The sidecars were always awarded 1/2, or less, the prize money of the solos, despite the fact there were two of them to share the spoils, and the machine was stressed more than their solo brothers.......I guess they figured there were two of them to contribute to the expenses?????

But their performances were never less than the solos, often more-so, and yet they never seemed to complain. "Foreign" competitors raced with right-hand chairs, while "domestic" competitors raced with left-hand chairs, if you've ever driven an outfit you will know that each handles completely differently, and in truth should never have been on the same circuit at the same time, but no one complained.

Chris Vincent was not known to understate his abilities, and the reason he was allowed to do so was because everyone knew what he said was true, anyone else would have be labelled a braggart, Chris Vincent just brought admiration for "speaking his mind", he had the ability to back up all that he said, and more.

He designed his own frames and I don't know how he got those BSAs to go so fast, but he did. He even went so far as to state that he didn't need a passenger but had to have one to comply with race rules, and I have seen him do several record-breaking laps without a passenger just to prove the point!!!

Re: CHRIS VINCENT SIDECAR CHAMPION DIES

It's always disheartening when the world looses someone great and though I have never heard of Chris Vincent from what I have read about him he was a great racer and stayed true to cycling even past his racing carrier. His two son's even stayed the course with solo racing.

Race in Peace Mr. Vincent.

I wonder why sidecar racing has not had much popularity? They are some crazy SOB's bouncing around in the chair.

Re: CHRIS VINCENT SIDECAR CHAMPION DIES

Great vids.

Thank you!

Gotta hand it to Chris with his mischievous Guy Fawkes look, and Stan, too, for never rolling off.

Amazing lives.
Supports splitting everywhere.