CW SUBJECTS

Allred
Okay, so I'm annoyed that after just 58 years Cycle World decided to cancelled its online Forum, but I am such a fan of Kevin Cameron that I cannot help but be continually impressed and appreciative of his postings and I have to spread the word.

Okay. so carburetors are passe, fuel injectors solved all of our problems right?........but I cannot help but be fascinated by the technical problems that carbs used to produce................maybe fuel injection isn't that prevalent, hey my ride-on-mower, my weed whacker, my leaf blower, my chain saw, my pressure washer,....................and my motorcycle are still carburated, so this information is still interesting to me. It keeps me connected to a previous time, (dare I say "bygone age"?) and is actually still useful information even in this hi-tech, fuel injected, electronic, computer-controlled time.

So here's Kevin's brief overview on needle metering, which at least was very important back in the day, and maybe still is?

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/carburetor-needle-tuning/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email

Re: CW SUBJECTS

Interesting that this comes up now, I haven’t read the article yet. I was up til 2:00 am last night working on the carburetor on my 05 883 Sporty.

The thing has had some sneezing though the carb since I bought it a couple years ago. I’m getting ready to sell it so I am trying to get it ready for its next owner.

The bike sat a lot with its previous, original owner. Less than 1200 miles per year. And I’ve only put about about 500 miles on it since I’ve owned it.

I was running some Chevron Techron through it and tried some carb clearing fluid spray but still had sneezing when cold. And it was the coldest natured bike I’ve had.

I changed the pilot jet a couple weeks ago but still got some backfire through the carb. Last night I put new manifold gaskets and pretty much eliminated the backfire. It also is not as cold natured as before.

EFI is mice but there is a couple advantages to carburetors.
1. They sound better at idle. Efi idles much faster.
2. It’s much cheaper to tune a carb than an EFI. Jet tuner kits are $50 or less for a Harley carb. A tuner for EFI is a minimum $400.00.

Re: CW SUBJECTS

motogrady

Whatever they are paying KC it ain’t enough.

As far as the efi thing, eh, the future is here.
Ain’t no stopping it. The next wave, chips and map settings for them are like Cheerios for breakfast.
It’s a given.

That the bike is totally dependent on a battery, that it will not start or run without juice, eh, that is also a given.

I mean, who in their right mind would want to ride a bike that, heaven forbid, you had to push start?

Re: CW SUBJECTS

m143
That was a great read.
I seem to be messing with a carb. of some sort way more than I'd like.
I have access to a cold cleaning tank that helps.
My grand daughter can install those little o rings in the S&S accelerator pump.

Re: CW SUBJECTS

That the bike is totally dependent on a battery, that it will not start or run without juice, eh, that is also a given.
That’s probably the worst part about it all. When the battery goes your just done.

My wives Mustang’s battery shit the bed while parked in the garage. The jumper cables were in her trunk, that wouldn’t open with the push of the button and has no key slot to open the trunk. I had to squeeze my fat ass in through the back seat to get into the trunk to get the cables.

Because the battery was dead the car wouldn’t let me shift the lever into neutral so I could push the car out of the garage.
 I had to remove a part of the counsel to get to a trap door to get to a release pull that would allow me to push the car out. Silliness.

Re: CW SUBJECTS

m143 wrote
My grand daughter can install those little o rings in the S&S accelerator pump.

That’s freakin great!

Re: CW SUBJECTS

Re: CW SUBJECTS

oldironnow
https://www.cycleworld.com/woolies-alpinestars-55th-anniversary-bike-brings-legends-out-shadows/

Now, do I have a right to be annoyed by this 2018 article?  I'm asking here.

I'm doing some research on this Woolie guy, by way of learning about the Baggers class, and I find this CW story about him and an Alpinestars tribute, and it just makes me sick.

Is it a vortex of insider brand-monkeys self-preening each other over the alteration of a tits-right '74 Ducati Super Sport?

Is it the literary equivalent of the perfect cappuccino photo shot at Sunday brunch, with the sun just-so across the cup and the smoked salmon toasts, fromage blanc, caviar, capers etc. bokeh-ed properly in the background?

The exclusive story of the exclusive $55,000 bike bought by the exclusive guy and fettled and ridden by the exclusive people and why and I reading this and howzabout a picture of the original bike which I am now far more interested in because it is gone, and this untouchable version will just disappear into the corporate offices of Alpinestars.

WOW CW! I just saw a one-day comet! Thank you! No wonder I let my subscription lapse just before the end. This story is relevant to maybe 300 people in the America.

Or, everything is just fine, and I am just a complete dickhead, which is also likely.

Re: CW SUBJECTS

Maybe Mad4 or Fid might see it on its annual ride to the Rock Store place with Leno on his jet bike.

Beautiful