Chasing that sound

I’ve been messing with the sound on my 2020 883 Sportster. Trying to get a deep rumble out of it.

The stock configuration is sewing machine quit. I really hadn’t planned to do much to this bike. I like the way Harley set it up. I just changed the bars out and put a mustang seat on it that I already had.
 I even like the look of the stock exhaust and thought I could live with the stock setup but after a day of puttin around listening to the valve train clatter I had to do something.

In the past on stock Harley mufflers I just took a 1” hole saw on a 12” long 1/4 drill bit and drilled the baffle plate out which would give me some sound and not loose any power. Didn’t even have to take the mufflers off the bike.

 I drilled the baffle out on these pipes expecting the same thing and it sounded horrible. Not much more noise and sounded like that noise a fart makes while sitting in the tub.
I took the mufflers off and discovered that they have a honeycomb catalyst in them.

I used a 12” long 1/2” drill bit and drilled a hole through the catalyst, put the mufflers back on.
Now it didn’t  sound like a water fart but still did not sound good.

So I’ve been listening to YouTube clips of different exhaust trying to get the right sound. I was looking for something deep but not screaming.
I wanted slip ons because I like the stock headers and their covers that have speed holes.

Rhinehearts and Vance and Hines seem to have the best sound.
I snagged a used set of Vance and Hines with only 800 miles (guy traded his bike in and took them off before trade in) off eBay for half the cost of new.
I put them on last night.

Modified stock
https://youtu.be/kObPem-hZ0w

Vance and Hines
https://youtu.be/gBHuKyt3s_U

They are a bit louder than I want. It’s got a removable baffle but it is pretty much straight through

I took it for a short putt this morning and noticed a little loss of torque. They make a quiet baffle but they are $50 each.
I have some muffler fiberglass packing so I think I will try and modify these before spending any money on them.

I bought them cheap enough I can sell them if I can’t get the sound I want out of them then I’ll prey eBay and Marketplace for some Rhineheats.

Re: Chasing that sound

monkeyshines
Fatfatboy wrote
[...]

I can still hear the thrashing of the shovel over the drag pipes
I always thought sportsters sounded best with a good 2-1.

Re: Chasing that sound

Yes, I agree. The 2 into 1 is a great sound out of the Sporty.
The pipe on my Roadster was killer.
Unfortunately to go into a 2-1 I would be near the $1k mark or more.
I’m just not ready to go there yet plus I haven’t seen a 2-1 that looks good on the iron.

If I can’t get the exact sound I’m looking for out of these slip ons I’ll put them on the auction block and maybe try some Rhinehearts, if I can find some take offs like I did these V&H.

I the the V&H short shots are a good looking pipe on the Iron put they are louder than what I want on this bike.
I commute on it and cranking them up at 5:00 A.M. is not the best way to make sure the neighbors call the cops if they see someone breaking into your house while you’re on vacation.

Re: Chasing that sound

I’ve been playing around with these V&H slip ons.

I added in a lollipop baffle.

That got me the torque back that I lost but it is still louder than I want. So added some fiberglass packing wrapped with some galvanized wire that I had from a previous project.

It has mellowed the pipes down quite a bit but it is not quite deep enough for my liking.

This is the pipes with the baffling and glass packing.
https://youtu.be/7FZkuX2_w4o

I think the problem is the end opening is just not big enough to get the sound I want.
V&H glass them 3” but they are not a 3” opening. More like 2.25” or 2.5”. They must be going by the outside heat shields.

So I’m still on the chase.

Re: Chasing that sound

 I pulled the baffles out of the Vance and Hines mufflers and got the sound I like but lost all low end power but the upper RPMs not only sound awesome as the sound bounces off the passing trees but brings the power back on.
But it is way too loud for those 5:00 A.M. rides to work.

So I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and go for a full system.
Thankfully Trump just sent me a check that will cover most of it.

I’m thinking,,,

I had American Performance true duels on a Heritage. Great sound and great quality. Made in the USofA as well.
They are not as big as the big boys like V&H, cobra and the like but you can call and actually talk to someone.

Re: Chasing that sound

Well poop, after doing some research on the Outlaw pipe it seams there is some issues with that pipe.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5281213#post5281213

Movin on

Re: Chasing that sound

monkeyshines
yeesh. definitely move on.

Re: Chasing that sound

monkeyshines wrote
yeesh. definitely move on.

The man in the brown van brought me a 4 inch cannon today.

Results to follow.

Re: Chasing that sound

The man in the brown van brought me a 4 inch cannon today.
Damn, you kids are always about more noise!!!

Re: Chasing that sound

Allred wrote
Damn, you kids are always about more noise!!!
BLAAAAAHHHH, BLAAAAAAAHHHHH, BLAAAAAHHHHH, blaaahhh, blaaahh, blahhh, pop,,,blah.

Re: Chasing that sound

Bingo! Got the sound I was after with this Cobra PowerPro 2 into 1. Nice deep V8 rumble that isn’t loud.
Stays nice and mellow on the cruise but let’s you know something is happening when cranking it on.

https://youtu.be/FCs163hzPu0

Hearing it on a phone just doesn’t sound as good.

I added a Fi2000 fuel management system with it which comes from Cobra set up for slip ons and after a short ride to dialysis today I can tell I need to do some adjustment.
I’m gonna try an air filter that I have laying around that will let it breath and then start fiddling with it.

I don’t want to lose to much MPG so I hope I don’t have to pour the fuel on.

Re: Chasing that sound

Re: Chasing that sound

That’s a great looking pipe.
I wish I could order new legs.

Re: Chasing that sound

Re: Chasing that sound

Re: Chasing that sound

Re: Chasing that sound

oldironnow
That looks HD-market sale-able.

Re: Chasing that sound

Sure does. Not sure why they don't.

Re: Chasing that sound

oldironnow
I would think Legal/Marketing/Engineering can't come to an agreement on heat and size.
Supports splitting everywhere.