Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

Fatfatboy
The Chinese are masters at copying so many thing’s. Now they have created the Evrolution (said in a crappy Asian/English accent)

https://www.rideapart.com/news/594974/shineray-harley-davidson-evolution-vtwin/amp/

I wonder if they are preparing for the Chinese Sportster

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

Fatfatboy
oldironnow wrote
I am at once both attracted and repelled....
Spot on.

So the Chinese took an American icon, improved it and made it Euro compliant.
I have to ask why Harley couldn’t have done the same instead of scraping the motor and developing something completely different.

The new Sportster S is something they needed to attract those desiring performance and something new but the tried and true Evolution Sportster should remain as a staple.
And a lower price point.

My guess is the Sportster S makes more money per bike than a lower price Sportster.

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

hacksaw
This post was updated on .
how do u know its improved?

i am considering buying one more new motorcycle in my life. thats if i can ride. i haven't done much this year.
couple of reasons. i love my fatboy. but i am having trouble with my body trying to muscle the fat front tire and wide bars to get it turned around and out of the garage. its also getting the chrome pitting.
i still have the triumph and BMW. and shovel heads and BMW and other projects. i got to thin the heard.
but more so i need to downsize my rides.

i am currently without a sportster. yes! i know that is a total sin. and i do have lots of sporty stuff scattered all over. but anyway, i started investigating 2022 sportsters. the real ones.
as usual with harley, they make models that dont have what i want. ex: the 883 isnt a 1200 and the 1200 has forward controls.  and i dont like the colors, or the fat front tire on one, etc etc.
the prices are high imho. 12k for an 883? how much to have it punched to 1200 and order the paint sets from last year?

so then i come across this,
(tried for over half an hour to post a pic here!)

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/softail-standard.html

14k. thats less than i paid for a new 2006 super glide custom.
i could get all the extended warranty and maintenance plans and just be done with it.
at my age resale is meaningless.

of course, the closest dealers dont have one!
joe biden. showrooms were crammed with bikes under Trump.

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

Fatfatboy wrote
oldironnow wrote
I am at once both attracted and repelled....
Spot on.
….
I have to ask why Harley couldn’t have done the same instead of scraping the motor and developing something completely different.
….
Imo, Shineray had to detune it so much to get past Euro5, that it lives now at a level that HD buyers would mock and avoid.
If HD is getting cash from licensing or each sale, then they’re at least getting something from their old design while they move into water.
I do wonder if this process is a probationary period for Shineray to prove viability of future HD manufacturing.

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

hacksaw wrote
how do u know its improved?

From the web;

“During the engine’s development, the firm claims to have improved the crankshaft rigidity and strength, boosting durability by 25% under high-load conditions, and improved heat dissipation by 10% thanks to better cylinder head heat sinks and oil circulation. Strengthened pistons, cooled by oil jets underneath, are said to add more reliability and longevity.”

Your issue moving the Fatboy around was the reason my road glide was sold and since I’ve not figured out how to drag a dialysis machine behind it long distance touring is not an option anymore so it wasn’t worth the heft anymore.
That had to be the best bike I’ve ever owned though.

That Softail standard is a great canvas. Stock I can’t stand it, I’m really not a fan of that tank without a dash, but I saw one that had extended forks on it and a king queen seat that gave a great 1970’s vibe.
I’m sure you won’t find one at the $14k price. Dealers are selling everything they have coming n so prices are up.
I’d bet it’s $16k out the door.

The only sporty I have now is a 74 XLCH that’s been converted to electric leg. Great ol’ ironhead.
I sold my 2020 883 because I wasn’t riding it and a kid at work offered me a good number so I sold it to him. He absolutely loves it.

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

oldironnow wrote
I do wonder if this process is a probationary period for Shineray to prove viability of future HD manufacturing.
You may be on to something there.

Re: Chinese Sportsters, possibly?

hacksaw
Fatfatboy wrote
hacksaw wrote
how do u know its improved?

From the web;

[...]

From the web;

[...]

You are taking a lot on faith. I don’t believe anything those commie Chinese put out.
There are plenty of used sportsters out there.
So me not to worry .

I always liked the tank mounted dash. I have had many. Still have 2. But I am looking for simplicity. I never liked the  sportsters thst converted to fat bob looking tank mounted gauges. The softail standard is more in line of my thinking on sportsters.

Iron heads are cool. I admire your attitude concerning the dialysis thing. God bless you.