Crash and road rage videos

Mad4TheCrest
I don't exactly know why I do it to myself, but periodically I immerse in you tube bike crash and road rage videos. I guess I think I'm going to learn something new or remind myself of some safety tip I may have forgotten. But likely it is just prurient interest of the "there but for a modicum of sanity go I..." But I have to report the vids these days are mostly not of the good old 'real' crash variety, instead they are video after video of some bike-riding dufus reacting to normal unskilled driver behavior by going all apeshit on the driver, or worse, revving their motor uselessly in anger. And neither a wheezy 250 or a honking big Harley sounds all that great when doing that, although it says a lot about innate human behavior that a big twin rider would even attempt it. Fear and anger overcome common sense.

One other trend in the vids these days: rider's not wearing gloves, or wearing gloves while wearing short-sleeved t-shirts. I guess there's now the white hand brown arm equivalent of a farmers tan. What is our riding world coming to? Who are the people inheriting our legacy?

Re: Crash and road rage videos

Allred
I have to admit that I do the same......and come pretty much to the same conclusions, after a vid or two I realize what a waste of time it is and I move on to something else.

While I know that a large percentage of car/truck drivers border on complete incompetence, and that many just have an inexplicable loathing for motorcycles even being on the same asphalt as themselves, I am also startled at the ignorance and stupidity of some motorcycle riders.

But then I realize that these videos are not a representation of your average motorcyclist, but an indication of a minority of "squids", the inexperienced, the ones who are destined to be short-term-motorcyclists.

These are the type of riders whose intellect prompts them to post these videos, whereas the vast majority of "real" riders, those who don't split lanes at 50mph, who don't do 1/4 mile wheelies on crowded streets, who don't remove the rear license plate and then tape it on sideways, who don't replace perfectly good stock mufflers with loud "Yoshimura-type" exhausts "for extra power" (which they don't need), who don't go around creating situations that give them the excuse to rip off the door mirror of some startled car driver. And the red-lining of your hi-revving, in-line four engine can surely be barely audible to today's isolated car driver.

If you watch pornography, you may believe that the average guy has a 9" dick, believe me, it's not true. And these crash and road rage videos are not representative of your average motorcyclist, they are simply representative of the type who revel in posting such videos on You Tube.

Re: Crash and road rage videos

Mad4TheCrest
It's clear most of these new videos don't have much to teach us, except that if you ride like there's no tomorrow every time you ride, there very likely won't be a tomorrow soon enough. Wait, I guess that is a good lesson. πŸ˜‰

Re: Crash and road rage videos

Fatfatboy
Mad4TheCrest wrote
Wait, I guess that is a good lesson. πŸ˜‰
Good point.

I have a friend who sends me a lot of photos, links and videos of rider stupidity.
I can’t help but think that these idiots that star in these things make us all look bad.