Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

Shocker!

Print anything is becoming obsolete.
I was in the store the other day and stopped by the magazine rack just to see if there was any rags that perked my interest.
Not a one interested me. The rack was an 1/8 of what they used to be.
Mostly Women’s Day, 4x4 and gun magazines.

What seems strange to me is the government is spending a lot of money building fancy libraries in our area.
I just assumed books were going digital as well.

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

Allred
A few years ago I would have been shocked, but Cycleworld has been dead to me ever since they changed the format to suit a fictional avant garde clientele and went to the 3 monthly issue, in fact I'm more than surprised they lasted this long.

The demise of Cycle World is a shame, as is the demise of pretty much all such magazines, I used to subscribe to several auto magazines, but they have become so flimsy, and the merchandise available for discussion so mundane, that I have ceased interest...........even at the tantalizingly ridiculous subscriptions prices of $6.00 for 12 issues delivered to your door!

Many things have disappeared over the last 60+ years........I miss center stands, and I still think a kick start is a useful thing. I miss chrome bumpers on cars, and protruding press-button car door handles, call me old fashioned but I like music CDs, and I know GPS is a wonderful thing but I miss maps (even if you could never re-fold them properly!) at least I knew where I was!

I used to think that it was only during my parents' time that things changed, and that since then everything had stabilized and during my time everything would remain the same. Of course time has shown me that there has been as much change, or more, during my time than there was during my parents' time, and I'm sure there will be an equal amount of change during the next generation's reign.

As for Cycleworld.............I cannot grieve much for something that has been dead for so long already.

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

Allred wrote
call me old fashioned but I like music CDs, and I know GPS is a wonderful thing but I miss maps (even if you could never re-fold them properly!) at least I knew where I was!

.
I’m with you gramps. I still prefer CD’s and maps to the digital counterparts.

My 18 Challenger came stock with a info screen with XM AM and FM. No CD. Disappointing.
A couple months ago I bought an old Wrangler for winter use. It has a CD player. I love it. I got to pull my CD collection back out.

I remember my first motorcycle trip using a GPS. It got me to where I wanted to go but I don’t know how I got there.
I went back to maps.

I hear Rider Magazine is still going strong. Maybe worth a look see.

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

oldironnow
It's my fault.
I just declined to renew my CW sub. I thought, "you know, I haven't even cracked the last couple of issues. Let's take a shot at breaking the continuity. Do less things based on the past."

I have been receiving Road Runner through the mails, and it's pleasant. Nothing exciting. Just ... nice. Full of ads, mostly regional entities trying to entice the wanderers to mosey on over to their neck of the country, and that's part of the refreshing feel.

It's North Carolina-based, so it lacks the residual So-Cal vibe that lingers from the '70s/'80s heyday on motorcycle mags. And it offers a 'golden-retriever' style of article. Not much adrenaline. Very much like what we do here. Hey! I went on this ride and I saw these things and I ate this and I slept here and here's a map and you should try it!

Remember when the bikes were changing every minute and the reviews meant something?

Remember when magazines built race bikes and took them to the track?

Remember when young people had money burning in their pockets?

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

motogrady

https://youtu.be/4fk2prKnYnI

And as far as Oldiron and his take on things, those are some very astute observations.

Re: Cycle World sold and ceases print edition

whatarush
I too I'm surprised it lasted after it went to a quarterly mag. They took out all the content that I liked most (intake, service, comparison tests). I felt that the articles that they did have just rambled all to fill the page.

I still get my Road Racing World mags montly...but they are getting thinner.  I've been thinking about subscribing to Roadrunner after looking thought one of my buddies mags.