End of the dealers?

motogrady

I think this is how Tesla kind of does it.

https://youtu.be/hY2mZ7ICO8U?si=Fg7bOJQ6Eu1JW6Ga

Re: End of the dealers?

oldironnow
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/with-suzukis-new-decision-things-are-going-to-get-interesting.1693403/

So, after a bit of watching, I’m a believer.
But then after more minutes, I’m getting the feels like I’m reading a yearly report from a stock-market listed company:
“Incredible upside and certainty going forward, and we also see totally out of our hands risks that are possible, leading to total collapse.”

Suzuki - stressed? Yes. They need solutions.
Does evaporating their dealer network increase profit or alienate sales?
IMO, some kind of situationally appropriate consolidation is coming.

I liked looking at all the nice Suzukis in the vid. Especially the OG Gixxers.

Re: End of the dealers?

motogrady

Will we be buying brand new Road Kings
and Goldwings off Amazon one day?

Re: End of the dealers?

Will we be buying brand new Road Kings
and Goldwings off Amazon one day?
I don’t see why not.
The point is the sale.
Honda landed In college bookstores and main street hardware stores.
Find your customer.
Maybe fat2 will someday sell glass on Etsy.

Re: End of the dealers?

motogrady

No kidding.  Hardware stores.

Not hard to believe really.
Come springtime Lowe’s and Tractor Supplyboth will have
Chinese mini/bikes for sale.

I look at them and think, “China junk killing us.”

Then, it’s, wow, I could buy one for me and one for the wife for $,1600.

Re: End of the dealers?

Maybe fat2 will someday sell glass on Etsy.
 This has not crossed my mine. We are competing to online sales in the shower division. For folks that are DIY'rs they can measure and order their shower glass online. These are basic showers. There are still a lot of folks that want  custom showers that are not DIY'rs. We sell enough to keep about 4-5 guys busy.
Fortunately curtain walls and storefronts are not an online order thing and we keep 25-30 families fed providing that service.

 I don't see how non-dealerships thing would work and keep sales on the up. Motorcycles are more personal than your average auto.
I have used the WWW to purchase used motorcycles. Some I never even had a chance to sit on or test drive but they were used and inexpensive where if I didn't like it I knew I could sell it and get most if not more of my money back. I wouldn't spend any serious money on I bike I've not at least sat on somewhere much less test rode.
But, it's a new world so maybe it just might work. The biggest issue I see is service and repairs. How far will a person need to go to get that done?

Back in 2020 during the pandemic Suzuki did Suzuki Direct 2 You. Maybe they learned something from this.

Re: End of the dealers?

Then, it’s, wow, I could buy one for me and one for the wife for $,1600.
And then sell them in a year or two for a couple hundred bucks because you can't get a throttle cable or some other minor part.
I see a lot of these on Marketplace that almost all need something fixed.

Re: End of the dealers?

motogrady
Ya. I haven’t let that fact go unnoticed.

And really, I’m not in the market for one of those.

A side by side 4/4 for myself and the better half,
that would probably actually get used.
Ride thru the woods, oooo and ahhhhin at the little deer and squirrels, drinking a cold one…….munching on a bag of chips……..

wtf am I thinking 😒

Re: End of the dealers?

This means the end to 70% of their product line. They could possibly sell Thru caravana or Costco . Hyabusa or some small dirt bikes. Moped  type shit.
Certainly cruisers and baggers will be gone.
Let’s recall Suzuki cars pulled out completely years ago.
And you salivate over dealer sponsored racers will lose that.
The only new Jap bikes I ever bought were Suzukis.