History of the Hack

Interesting read on the history of the sidecar.
Explains how the name hack came to be used.

https://www.insurance.harley-davidson.com/the-open-road/profiles/motorcycle-sidecar

Re: History of the Hack

Allred

A couple of weeks ago I followed a Ural sidecar outfit and was quite surprised to see it had a drive to the sidecar wheel. I never knew that this was even done.  Obviously in this case the chair wheel has to be in line with the rear driving wheel and has a UJ and shaft drive from the rear hub, basically making it a 2wd vehicle.

Re: History of the Hack

There is a bike shop about six blocks from me that sells those Urals. I have been tempted to get one of them two wheel drive sidehack for winter riding.

https://www.abcbmw.com/

Re: History of the Hack

According to Wiki its the 2014 and later bikes that are the better ones to own.
Fuel injected, brembo brakes at all three corners, Ducati ignition, Nepon alternators, stainless exhaust and more powder coating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMZ-Ural

Explains the much higher cost for these than what they were several years ago.
If memory serves me correctly when Dave first came into town a new one could be had for around $12k with a hack. They are $20k+ now.

Re: History of the Hack

According to Wiki its the 2014 and later bikes that are the better ones to own.
Fuel injected, brembo brakes at all three corners, Ducati ignition, Nepon alternators, stainless exhaust and more powder coating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMZ-Ural

Explains the much higher cost for these than what they were several years ago.
If memory serves me correctly when Dave first came into town a new one could be had for around $12k with a hack. They are $20k now.
Yes, because of this thread I checked out the Ural site and was flabbergasted to see the prices!!!

I always thought these things were dirt cheap, for the price of a new Ural I could buy a brand new 'Busa and have still have a couple of grand left over for speeding ticket fines, bail money, attorney fees, etc!

Re: History of the Hack

The 'Busa still calling you? Just do it. You only get one turn on this rock.

$20k does seem a bit steep but I guess if they have improved to the point of BMW quality it is to be expected.
Here's one on craigslist for $15k. 2018 with only 500 miles. I had a guy over me a good price for my 96 Softail,,,, hummm,,,

https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/nashville-2018-ural-gear-up/7317799801.html

Re: History of the Hack

The 'Busa still calling you? Just do it. You only get one turn on this rock.
You are right of course, but there is something right now that doesn't make it possible, maybe it will be on the cards a little later.

Re: History of the Hack

https://youtu.be/kZxhTjaCmso

Re: History of the Hack

Allred
That's pretty impressive!

As teenagers a buddy and I borrowed his dad's Morris 1000 Traveller (station wagon). We drove from pub to pub and managed to run over a jack rabbit on the way, we threw the rabbit in the back of the car to gut and eat later.

After several pubs and lots of beers we decided to drive the car down a stream, just to see if it would do it.

The stream became deeper, and deeper, until the radiator fan picked up the water and soaked the distributor and brought us to a stop. We got out of the car to investigate, which immediately let all the water into the interior of the car when we opened the doors. ("slamming" the doors after we got out didn't help!).  Up to our knees in water, we dried out the distributor and managed to back our way out of the stream.

We returned home, delivered the car, and walked away, completely forgot about the jackrabbit, now soaked in the back of the car, and forgot about it all. My buddy's father didn't notice the soaked interior, but he did notice the rotting jack rabbit in the back of the car a few days later!!!!

Ah, the innocence/stupidity/selfishness of youth!

Re: History of the Hack

oldironnow
We need a thread to catalogue your adventures.

Nearly froze to death on a BSA.
Liberated valves from a periodically sunken Merlin engine.
Drove a small English station wagon down a stream.

Likely has eaten eel.

What else?

Are you the chap who had his foot stepped on by MBE GM Hailwood?

Re: History of the Hack

Ha, great story Allred.
Funny he didn’t notice the soaked interior. I guess that was a good thing the old cars were cars and not living rooms on wheels with wall to wall shag carpet and cloth covered loungers.

“Innocent/stupidity/selfishness of youth!”

I’m sure you, as well as I, are glad we didn’t have camera’s disguised as cell phones when we were being innocent, stupid and selfish.

Re: History of the Hack

LOL!  Yes, have eaten eel, not my favorite dish, much prefer cockles or winkles.

Yes, basic, smooth-covered seats and equally basic rubber matting for "carpet" would mask the soddenness of the car interior. But that rabbit sure reeked after 3 hot days in the back!

Re: History of the Hack

uuuuuuhhh,,, Can I have catfish please.

Re: History of the Hack

Are you the chap who had his foot stepped on by MBE GM Hailwood?
Mike the Bike never stepped on my foot, but I did race against World Champion Freddie Frith!

Re: History of the Hack

oldironnow
Allred wrote
oldironnow wrote
Are you the chap who had his foot stepped on by MBE GM Hailwood?
Mike the Bike never stepped on my foot, but I did race against World Champion Freddie Frith!

.
That's amazing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Frith

It may have been dcproofrock who had the Hailwood tale.

Re: History of the Hack