Honda Rebel 1100

Mad4TheCrest
I saw one of these tooling through Belfast, Maine today. Sounded nice, and didn't look too weird. It must not be that powerful or else why just a single front disc? Otherwise, could one of these be the best all-around bike out there? (Speaking from practicality and usability, NOT beauty. Pretty it isn't)

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Allred
We've all heard the joke about "the new-born baby that was so ugly the doctor smacked the mother", well I think it applies here, that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Mad4TheCrest
Allred wrote
We've all heard the joke about "the new-born baby that was so ugly the doctor smacked the mother", well I think it applies here, that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

.
It might be just me, but the Rebel looks more insectoid (like a mosquito or crane fly) than those other bikes we often claim resemble insects. I think too the profile looks part chopper without the chops. It just seems wrong. But on the other hand,  it's price and general specs seem suited to be a decent first big bike for many people.

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Allred wrote
We've all heard the joke about "the new-born baby that was so ugly the doctor smacked the mother", well I think it applies here, that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

.
Lol!

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow
The 300/500 Rebel looks good to my eye (LOVE the perimeter frame!), and they had this big twin hanging around, so without a middle-weight twin in the stable, it makes sense to roll this out and try and grab those 500 riders who want to move up in the family. AndCruiser is the default image forMotorcycle in most heads worldwide.

That been said,

I, too, would like some different takes with the 1100. The exhaust is horrible, but those big cans are the Euro5 future. Still, gimme some shape, baby. Let's have some swoop and shields to fill out those engineering-perfect mid-pipe diameters. (Ahem - Sportster S) What about a little up-angle on those black cans? what about repurposing those leftover CB1100 exhausts? This current pipe looks like they gave up, arms in the air, under an avalanche of marketing surveys.

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WANT!   JUST MAKE IT BLACK AND UGLY!   AAAAAAAHHHHGGH!!!!"

And I can't stand forwards, but this bike could use forwards and buckhorn pullbacks. Why not. I had an in-law whose answer always was 'Buckhorn pullbacks'.

"Want another beer?"
"Buckhorn Pullbacks."

This handlebar belongs on the street-tracker version that should follow the standard version of the 1100 engine. Then last but not least, when do we get the RR-SP limited edition Öhlins-besotted race version? How old will my iron be then?

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Mad4TheCrest
Cool insights on the Rebel, OldIron. Still, to my rheumy old eyes, this bike looks like something that got sat on by the Hulk and broke in the middle. Then someone said, "et Voila!"

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Fatfatboy
Good description Mad  I really think the original rebel had the look down. Sort of like a 3/4 dyna. This new one just look weird.
Maybe weird is the new cool. What dose we know. We are the old men in the corner sucking down dinner

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow
Let's see if we can compare. Rebel 500.

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow
The 1100 engine done swoll the middle of the bike so much, it now dwarfs the wheels and rider.
The visual balance is gone.

imo

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

Mad4TheCrest
oldironnow wrote
The 1100 engine done swoll the middle of the bike so much, it now dwarfs the wheels and rider.
The visual balance is gone.

imo
I think you have got something there. The smaller rebels still have that exaggerated ant prothorax look created by the low seat and rising tank line, but the 1100 exaggerates the look to (for me) beyond the 'turn-off' line.

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow
The Rebel 500 is just exaggerated enough to not trigger the Uncanny Valley.

I just noticed the bend in the 500's exhaust. That is to say, I did not notice it before.

It jumps out at me on the 1100.

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow
Maybe an aftermarket exhaust would help.

V&H -

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow
TBR -

Re: Honda Rebel 1100

oldironnow

SC Project (eBay, with clamp and springs)