IS HARLEY DEAD?

Allred

I'm not sure what the truth is, or what the answer is, but this is an interesting, well put together video.

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

m143
I saw a PanAm on the road today.

I think HD will be okay.

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

oldironnow
m143 wrote
I saw a PanAm on the road today.

I think HD will be okay.
I haven't watched the vid, but off the top, I agree with you.

Saw a Pan-Am pounding down Hwy 17 two days ago.

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

motogrady

ahhhhhh....they are so big, with such a following, if it comes to it they can sell a factory or 2.  Or a big bank, or super rich guy, or government agency will step in.....imo HD is here to stay, one way or another.

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

If HD can support the technology in the PanAm with good service that keeps the owners happy, HD will do fine. If that auto ride height gizmo works and is reliable, quite a few shorter riders who have felt restricted to scooters and cruisers may step up. HD should come out with a lighter option featuring the 900cc version of that engine as soon as they can. Preferably in a roadster with good cornering clearance and an all day gas tank. Then maybe i can check off that 'own a Harley once' bucket list item.
That's the key ^

Competency proved in the large ADV market will hopefully let them revived the Bronx platform and then expand the line.

Isn't that how HD did it with the EVO rollout? Just the Big Twin and then the Sportster?

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

Re: IS HARLEY DEAD?

I finally got a chance to watch the video. He brings up some valid points and after thinking about it I do see Harley in a pickle.

In order to get more sales they need to attract riders. Since their riders are aging out.
They could take a bit from Honda back when they were selling bikes to non-riders  (“You meet the nicest people on a Honda “)That would take selling bikes a lot cheaper than what Harley can do with American labor and mostly American parts.

They would have to follow the rest of the crowd and go to China. This means All-American Harley is no longer All American thus cheapening the brand and giving Indian a message they could hang their hat on.

You don’t hear much about Indian dying. Though they have. It’s because since 1953 they were not the giant Harley has become.

I don’t think that they are dead. I just think they will have to realize that the Harley fad is over and will have to make cut backs and sell less bikes and chrome doo-dads in boutique shops that are owned and ran by the same guy that is selling Toyota’s, Fords, etc.

Just my rambling thoughts.