It is balloon !

Re: It is balloon !

hacksaw wrote
The last old fashioned hardware store closed this year
Man, sorry to hear that. Everyone needs one. We still have ours but the owner is 80 y.o. and has started having falling issues so I'm sure it won't be long and it will close. The son is working with the dad but I'm pretty sure once the father steps out or passes away the son will sell the building off. He doesn't seem to have the initiative to keep the business going.
I'll then be forced to drive 25 minutes away to do the 30 minute walk about in Home Depot get that last 1/4-20 S.S. bolt to finish a project or wait for McMaster Carr to send me a box of 25.

We have a Tractor Supply but they almost never have anything I need except dog food or hi-heat stove black paint.

Re: It is balloon !

Re: It is balloon !

hacksaw
Oh boy. A place called centerville lumber closed wow, like maybe 10 years ago. Perfect old time lumber yard. Hardware too. I believe it became true value at some point.  Mostly pros used it, but it’s was walk in friendly to laymen as well. Must have been in bizz for 100 years since they had an ancient barn thst  was moved to town property . Barn is supposed to be home for sone arts thing but it’s never actually been used to my knowledge .
Not even 5 min away.
We once had a Sears . When I was a kid I loved the escalators and toy land . Much of the original stuff in my late 40’s house came from Sears . When they closed down and the building was demolished Sears opened Sears hardware . Excellent place for selection . Lasted Msybe 5 years . We had a Rickel after that . All the outlier hardware stores folded.
Home Depot is practically across the street from me.

Re: It is balloon !

hacksaw
Oh I am a huge fan of Jean Luc!

Re: It is balloon !

Yup. That’s what happened to Spring Glenn Hardware . Last of the breed in town . 2nd generation store where the 2 brothers got old and the 3rd generation was not interested .
To double the pain , it had a shoemaker in it .
Lowes and Home  Depot killed the Radio Star .
McMaster Carr is good . A lot of bits and pieces on your BSA came from them.
I miss Radio Shack . Not mom and pop per say but they had that wall with trays full of all kinds of plugs and transistors and whatever .
Tractor supplies are a couple of towns away .
I did buy workwear from one.
There is a harbor freight Maybe 20 minutes away.
Joe Gresh pushes their stuff .