KTM no thanks!

hacksaw
A few weeks back I went to visit the KTM dealer. Big markdowns on 2023 models. So I went looking at their smaller bikes . Nice machines except for wimpy foot controls  which I guess are designed for much younger and smaller riders. So I didn’t buy anything.
Now I read Ktm is partnering with China . Which is a definite no to me.
China seems to have bought there way into everything this side of the Biden crime family .

Did I read something about an American Ktm racing team ?
American as in Chinese R&D?
Disgusting !

Anyhowz our local Ktm dealer has hundreds of bikes . Plus 4 wheelers and can am ? I think “trikes”.
I forget but they may have husky and gasgas .
All junk imho.

The redeeming factor is they have several RE models on tge floor. Overall good looking standard bikes . Except for the fugly adv one.
Sadly RE is so underpowered . It would be hard to not buy one otherwise

Fat brown seat sux and the muffler needs some help . But it’s a beautiful machine.

Re: KTM no thanks!

hacksaw
I wouldn’t do this to a new bike , but a used one I would love a bash  plate , high pipe , add ikons, cut the fenders down and add some jc Whitney type universal tires !
Ultimate urban curb hopper and also fit easy on the back of a camper .

Re: KTM no thanks!

motogrady

I think the KTM partnership with China is KTM having their bikes made in some huge factory they built.

The American racing team is Triumph.

The RE…….you used to have a Mach 3, does that kind of hp
really matter to you anymore?
I don’t really, for me, anyway, need 60 hp anymore.

I mean, my Honda puts out maybe 70, which I rarely ever get close to red lining anymore.
Plus, the height, it’s more a pain in the ass throwing a leg over the new tall bikes than it is hitting a bump to me.

I dunno.

I just can’t justify the9/10 grand for a new whatever,
when a 80s ride for 3 fits me, personally, better.

Re: KTM no thanks!

Unfortunately China is in just about anything with electronics. Price drives everything and China makes it cheaper than anyone so manufactures are basically forced to buy Chinese parts.
The only way around it would be to make every single piece of the motorcycle instead of outsourcing. Could you imagine the price?

Re: KTM no thanks!

Not sure China has a micro chips
Monopoly.

But anyway, why would things be that much more expensive? Shipping from China has got to cost . Well China has no New green deal and has slave labor.
But our government is standing in our own way. We were on the verge of energy independence. Thst would change much.

Re: KTM no thanks!

70hp would be fine.
The RE pic I posted is a 350. It’s not really tall.

Re: KTM no thanks!

motogrady
hacksaw wrote
70hp would be fine.
The RE pic I posted is a 350. It’s not really tall.
The point I was making is that 350 RE that puts out maybe 29hp would be enough.

Maybe getting on a highway entrance ramp you’d might need full throttle a time or 2.  And yes, it does, the RE that is, seem old school low.
The fact it’s made in India or wherever, eh.
Anything made here is gonna be too heavy.
And half of that bike is probably made in Indonesia or something.

That RE has you written all over it.

What are you doing with that toaster tank Victor Special?

Re: KTM no thanks!

hacksaw wrote
Not sure China has a micro chips
Monopoly.
They don’t. Many are made in Twain and South Korea.
After the hard hit chip shortage I remember reading somewhere that Biden signed a Chip Act that allocated 50 something billion into convincing companies to bring chip production back to the US. I hope it actually works and is not just another pot of gold for companies to put their hands into and use the funds elsewhere.

Wire harnesses seem to be a major part that is China made.  Even Indian is using them on their bikes.

Re: KTM no thanks!

Sold it at Britjam this past late summer.
I still have just too many projects .
I am not sure if RE have Indonesian connections. I haven’t heard that b4. But I wouldn’t doubt it .

Now I think , but don’t really recall, RE has a 3 year warranty?
That would take me to bring 75. Lol.

Re: KTM no thanks!

hacksaw wrote
Not sure China has a micro chips
Monopoly.
They don’t. Many are made in Twain and South Korea.
After the hard hit chip shortage I remember reading somewhere that Biden signed a Chip Act that allocated 50 something billion into convincing companies to bring chip production back to the US. I hope it actually works and is not just another pot of gold for companies to put their hands into and use the funds elsewhere.

Wire harnesses seem to be a major part that is China made.  Even Indian is using them on their bikes.
Yes tiwain. No wonder China is after them .

Re: KTM no thanks!

Might be part of it. I did some web searching and found out that 90% of the high performance chips are made there and 50% of the semiconductors are controlled by the same Taiwan company TSMC.

What’s sad is both the computer chip and semiconductors where invented in the US and we dropped the ball by outsourcing for cheaper wages. Idiots.

Re: KTM no thanks!

hacksaw
Agreed.