Kick Conversion

Re: Kick Conversion

Now that you mentioned that I do remember a friend telling me about the kick only EFI dirt bikes.
I retract my statement. Maybe I just didn’t give enough umph.

Re: Kick Conversion

Grady, Are these FI dirt bikes using capacitor’s for stored electric to get the pump to squirt and the injectors open?

Re: Kick Conversion

Grady, Are these FI dirt bikes using capacitor’s for stored electric to get the pump to squirt and the injectors open?
The Zook I don’t know.
I do know they have had some kind of fi for a few years.
I looked around, no batteries or capacitors are mentioned.
I did see where guys that own them can map
for different things, engine wise. So, there must be a battery to run a chip or something one would think.
From what I did see the Zook does not use an o2 sensor,
but some kind of sensors in its place.

As far as the Montesa trials bikes, I remember seeing somewhere they got spark and enough juice for the fuel pump from the very heavy crank and massive flywheel.
Apparently when you kick them the motor keeps spinning enough to get them both going.

Re: Kick Conversion

Fuel Injection: All Buell tube frame models from 1996 to 1998, as well as 1999-2002 M2 Cyclones were carbureted with standard module ignition systems, while 1999-2002 X1 Lightning and S3 Thunderbolt models came with factory fuel injection.

above copied from the internet

Re: Kick Conversion

I’ve been looking around and not having any luck finding mentions of battery-less dirt bikes with FI. None mention how they get juice.

I ask a friend how his FI gas gas gets juice. His has a ion battery that weighs 12 oz.
It’s either a big secret or no one else cares.

Re: Kick Conversion

whatarush
From looking at the electrical diagram, It shows that it does have a condenser along with an optional battery wire. Looks like for the mapping changes, they have jumper wire plugs.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2020/rm-z450/electrical-e03

Re: Kick Conversion

hacksaw
Wow. Too much crap.

Re: Kick Conversion

oldironnow
I did some looking around the internet over the weekend, since I remember that the first wave of injected MXers were billed as not having batteries. I recall the electrical systems created adequate power in the first rotation.

Yamaha mentions their motocrossers carry tiny batteries,

"The YZ450F features a compact electric starter system ... Powered by a high-capacity and ultra-lightweight four-cell lithium-ion battery, the system adds minimal weight."

Perhaps to run their "high pressure fuel pump."

Suzuki says they are battery-less:
"Designed for motocross use, the lightweight, battery-less, electronic fuel injection system is key to the engine’s efficient power delivery."

Re: Kick Conversion

hacksaw
ok. how many amps is that battery?  doubt it would start buell.

Re: Kick Conversion

motogrady
hacksaw wrote
ok. how many amps is that battery?  doubt it would start buell.
Got me on the amp draw thing, but every 450 out there,
except the Suzuki, has a button.  Hit button, go.

That’s what the big deal, or commotion is about.
I dunno if the other factories even have kick start.

Some believe, in the heat of the moment, especially if a guy stalls in a deep, muddy rut, or overheats and stalls it on the sand, kicking will cost precious time and positions.

Others say, sometimes electric start don’t start either.
No matter how many times you crank it if it’s hot or flooded.

Either way, that season starts in about 2 weeks.

Re: Kick Conversion

oldironnow
Adverts on Bay Area radio and outside the Oakland Coliseum.

Re: Kick Conversion

  Hit button, go.
That seems to be the quickest way to get back at it. The thumb is less than an inch away where as a kicker is flip out kicker, lift leg, kick and back up.