MAGAZINES

Allred
We all know that the glossy magazine is going the way of the Dodo, and since Cycle World's slow decline, and then complete demise, my overall magazine subscription list has followed a similar path.

I struggled on with some of the auto magazines that managed to survive in decent form, their prices were so ridiculously low I couldn't resist, how can you turn down 12 issues delivered to your door for $6.00 bucks!!! But modern cars are so bland, I can't tell a Nissan, from a Buick, from a Toyota, from a Cadillac anymore, and those that do hold some sort of interest cost several times more than I paid for my house, so why torture myself! My only car magazine now is the free one I get from having Hagerty Insurance on one of my vehicles, and it is a very good magazine.

So, suffering from MGPWS (motorcycle glossy paper withdrawal syndrome), I couldn't resist Classic Bike's offer of $19.95 for a year's subscription. I have subscribed to Classic Bike several times in the past, at much higher fees, but it is a good magazine, so what the heck. Okay, so it's only six issues a year, and at my age I've pretty much read every report on pretty much every classic bike more than several times over the years, but the magazine is full size, super-glossy and 80 pages........and nostalgia is a good thing, even if you have been there before!

The first issue I received spotlighted the 1965 Honda CB160 twin, which was a great choice for their main article because that bike is often overlooked despite being one of Honda's best motorcycles. A super little machine that was good looking, revved smoothly and effortlessly, handled well, was fast for a 160 and was the epitome of Honda reliability.

Issue #2's main article is on the '74 Ducati 750SS, you know, the one based on Paul Smart's Imola race bike.  Then there's an article on the Vincent Rapide, Eddie Lawson's Honda NSR500, an MV Magni, a Kawasaki KZ1000R-S1 replica, and a staid but very nostalgic AJS Model 16 (hey, it's AMC gearbox is worth more now than the bike cost when new!!!).

Anyway, it does go to show that good, well written, glossy-paged motorcycle magazines can still be had for as little as $3.00 bucks an issue delivered to your door!

Re: MAGAZINES

I think Doughboy just started getting that rag. He too must of been enticed by the 20 bucks a year.

I've been hearing good things about Road Runner magazine from folks and have been tempted to hit them up at only 30 bucks a year but I'd like to see one in pulp before checking the box. Unfortunately I've not seen one on a newsstand/mag rack yet. As a matter of fact I don't see any motorcycle rags on any racks.

I've developed a retina issue in my left eye so it takes work to read anything that is not written clearly on a good clean background or backlit like  computer screen or phone so I want to see just how clear their writing is before wasting my time or 30 bucks.
I don't like when mags write on the photos of the story they are writing about. I'm sure it saves space but it makes it to hard to read and if it's not real interesting it's not worth the trouble.

I guess the mags have forgotten that  lot of their readers re aging.

Re: MAGAZINES

I don't like when mags write on the photos of the story they are writing about. I'm sure it saves space but it makes it to hard to read and if it's not real interesting it's not worth the trouble.

I guess the mags have forgotten that  lot of their readers re aging.
A pet peeve of mine too, it's a magazine not some art nouveau manuscript.

I find the writing in pretty much everything a little small these days but that's due to 88.3% of the population being younger than me. Motorcycle Classics doesn't go in for any of that silly overwriting and I can actually read the text in good lighting without reading glasses, it's just easier with them!

http://publichealthintelligence.org/content/which-percentage-people-older-and-younger-you

Re: MAGAZINES

I miss getting magazines in the mail too.

The AMA sanctions most motorcycle events so I join to be able to ride in Trials events.

Their monthly magazine has stepped it way up. Mitch Boehm is now on the staff, and last month he did a great piece on Malcolm Smith.

It's a treat to find it in my mail. This came yesterday and I've already been cover to cover.

Re: MAGAZINES

Walt, is that rag only American bikes?

Re: MAGAZINES

oldironnow
I want to know more about that front end set up behind the young artist with the flamethrower.

Re: MAGAZINES

m143
The fork is on her father's Indian build.

The format is a lot like CW covering many motorcycles and motorcycle sport.

Re: MAGAZINES

Allred
I see the later quarterly issues of CycleWorld are going for up to $20 bucks on eBay...........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193880448454?hash=item2d242cddc6:g:OtkAAOSwzcpbOlWl

Re: MAGAZINES

The Triumph she built.

Re: MAGAZINES

oldironnow
Very cool.

Excellent machines.

Re: MAGAZINES

whatarush
I think Doughboy just started getting that rag. He too must of been enticed by the 20 bucks a year.

I've been hearing good things about Road Runner magazine from folks and have been tempted to hit them up at only 30 bucks a year but I'd like to see one in pulp before checking the box. Unfortunately I've not seen one on a newsstand/mag rack yet. As a matter of fact I don't see any motorcycle rags on any racks.
I take it you haven't looked at the Road Runner mag I left at the shop yet?

Re: MAGAZINES

whatarush wrote
I take it you haven't looked at the Road Runner mag I left at the shop yet?
Thanks for the reminder. I set it on the turntable cover to check it out the next time I had a chance to sit and listen to my new unwrapped Pink Floyd Animals LP.
It’s still unwrapped.

I just thumbed through it while watching FP1. I like the layout. All clearly written with proper font size.
I’ll take it with me to dialysis tomorrow and read it so I can give it back to you.