Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

This weekend !

Last year,

Oliviera
Quarteraro
Zarco

 - in sketchy conditions - that featured a start delayed by downpour, but an assist from a local rain charmer:

https://www.crash.net/motogp/results/999061/1/2022-indonesian-motogp-mandalika-full-race-results

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

oldironnow
Alex Marquez has withdrawn from the Indonesian GP due to injuries from the last GP in India.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

Both Bezzechi and Martin have both have shoulder surgeries. Martin took top spot in FP1 and Bezzechi took a fast fall on his way to making the fastest lap, until the fall. It will be interesting how they handle the whole race.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

Bagnia in Q1!???

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

whatarush
This post was updated on .
Wow. Bagnia P13 😳

The Beast takes it on the last lap

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

whatarush
Low grip track sure has mixed up the first two rows this round.

Sprit race in 3 1/2 hours….looks like it may be a late night

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

whatarush wrote
Low grip track sure has mixed up the first two rows this round.
 There was a lot of close calls in the two practices I watched caused by lack of traction. It is new slab and listening to the tire techs they said it is a real smooth surface. Easier on the tires but hurts the traction. Needs more rubber on it.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

Bagnia missing Q2 by his teammate!! Ouch.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

whatarush wrote
Low grip track sure has mixed up the first two rows this round.

Sprit race in 3 1/2 hours….looks like it may be a late night
This one was lined up well for a live-watch…
Couldn’t log in where i ended up !!!!

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

oldironnow
I thought that race was in the bag twice.
Once it changed.
Once it didn’t.
A solid full-length watch.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

Great race for sure.
Martin pulled a Bagnia. I guess it’s kinda my fault. I told the wife that Martin doesn’t usually make stupid mistakes.
Guess I was wrong.

Bagnia showed why he is #1.  Making it the first time since 2006 that someone from further than fourth row tagging first place.

I really thought Aprilia was going to give Whatarush some serious points this time around but Aleix let him down.

Has Yamaha found something or was this just the right track for them?

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

whatarush
Fatfatboy wrote
Has Yamaha found something or was this just the right track for them?
Some rounds back they want back to last years setups that helped Quart get back some good feeling with the bike.

Also with the low grip of the track and the Yami having the lowest torque it helped with rear grip. If you watch FP1 and P2, you’ll see Bag’s rear tire was loosing traction coming out of the corner. Simon was saying that they was having problems getting the torque map adjusted

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

That’s a good analysis ^, grip-torque favor.

In powering through Q2, the Sprint and Pre-race chatter, I’m sure somewhere I heard Crafar say that Yamaha has deployed a front or F/R lowering device that gives them parity.
If this is true, Quartararo might be closer to being back in the game.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

oldironnow
IMG_5751.mov

That’s some old school tire wear.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023

I seem to remember Rossi pulling off something like this several years ago, pre-Marquez era,in the rain. He started way back in 16th or something and was flying by guys like they were tied to the guardrail.
Impressed the heck out of me.

Re: Mandalika - Indonesian MotoGP 2023