Mechanical Mysteries

oldironnow
So the Buell... HD product...

If one is riding HD product at night and the headlight dims for a second on one trip, and then the next trip it dims for a few seconds a couple of times....

What does that indicate? A stator issue? A Voltage Regulator issue? A Battery issue?

Testing will commence, but I'm looking for experienced lore.

Re: Mechanical Mysteries

Aight,, intermittent gremlins suck.

If the other lights do the same dimming I am thinking the regulator is wearing down.
If the other lights stay normal I’m guessing a bad or loose connection.

Re: Mechanical Mysteries

oldironnow
Ooooo that's brilliant! (puntastic)

Systemic vs. just the headlight.

Re: Mechanical Mysteries

motogrady

God, electrics suck.

I'd go bad connections first.  Then pop a battery in it.  Then rectifier.

Re: Mechanical Mysteries

God, electrics suck.

I'd go bad connections first.  Then pop a battery in it.  Then rectifier.
Three thumbs up

Re: Mechanical Mysteries

Re: Mechanical Mysteries

oldironnow
Thank you for finding that post!

I've been lurking and searching forever at those two Buell forums. That post never came up.

It's a 2009. Last of the full production years, so it has the upgrade built in.

I've got it parked right now, and intend to start the inspection this weekend.

Happy Labor Day holiday all!
Supports splitting everywhere.