Mecum flyer

hacksaw
Anyone else get the mecum folder in the mail ?
Actually pretty  nice . Las Vegas auction  of Austrian National collection. Nice bikes.

Re: Mecum flyer

motogrady

Not me.

I kinda like seeing those foreign bikes.
Those off the wall rides.

Man, losing Allred was/is a bummer.
Effing guy was good with that stuff.

Re: Mecum flyer

hacksaw
Well there is a few collections being offered. But it was also a solicitation for putting bikes in the auction.
Which I am not doing . Lol.
I am not that big on the antiques. Classics are more my bag.

Re: Mecum flyer

motogrady

Keith, what do you consider classic vs antique?

What does Mecum say?

Re: Mecum flyer

hacksaw
There is no absolute designation imho.
Just a feel for it. Board trackers and the like are antiques.
. Maybe up to late 3O’s . Kinda depends on the machine.
Certainly Post ww2 would be classics.
I do love late flatheads , indians , HD 45’s etc.
they bridge the gap.
But for the sake of an example , I might leaf thru an article on a 1910 Pope but read with interest one on a 66” triumph.

Re: Mecum flyer

motogrady

Ya, that’s what many feel.

Some I’ve heard say 1927, or whatever year HD put a front brake on a bike is the classic/antique.

Some say 100 years back makes an antique.

AHRMA has dates, for racing classes, but with exceptions.

I dunno. I just find it hard to relate to the real old stuff.
They’re so fragile imho.
And yeah I know about the Cannonball thing.

I kinda think, the Grado scale…….
Antique.  100 years back.
Classic.  75 years back.
Vintage. 50.
Modern.  25.

Something like that.

Re: Mecum flyer

Re: Mecum flyer

oldironnow
That’s wild - I remember posting that on CW years ago !

Re: Mecum flyer

hacksaw
Well, the AMCA says over 35 years is antique. I think that’s BS. Honda’s aren’t antiques.
And now that I think if it there isn’t any year parameters for classic. Classic should be something that has some special deal to it. Say a classic Brit bike . 60’s triumphs etc.
a classic bobber in traditional sense .
Harley  softails could be classic despite the year.
Perhaps recent RE’s could be  considered classic.
Classic UJMs etc.
but just because a bike is old doesn’t make it a classic.
Vintage. ? Pretty much anything that’s not an antique. The 1927 cut off mentioned works for me.
100 yo is antique furniture and stuff like that.
Not sure it applies to bikes but given a couple of more years it will .

Re: Mecum flyer

hacksaw

Mecum

Re: Mecum flyer