MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

oldironnow
Joe Roberts - out after crashing and breaking his collarbone.

Yamaha signs Pramac

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/motogp-more-from-the-motul-tt-assen/
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

I’ve got to wonder why Pramic made the switch. I know they’re getting the same bike as the factory bikes but the factory bikes haven’t been winning any trophies lately.
They are making small progress steps (new motor this weekend) but they have some hurdles to overcome.

Aleix taking a hard sit down in PR.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

Another bit of news this weekend:
3 hours before practice KTM told Miller that he was getting the boot at the end of 24.

I get letting him go but they asked him not to talk to other teams about a seat for 2025 giving him the impression he was sticking around.

https://us.motorsport.com/motogp/news/miller-reveals-brutal-ktm-u-turn-on-his-motogp-future/10627935/

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

Bezzechi and Fernandez both took a fast get off hat turned into some serious barrel rolls at turn 7.
I tried to count them but it just wasn’t possible. Bezzechi rolled enough to make him dizzy causing him to loose his cookies.

Amazing how quick these guys think. Fernandez instantly brings his arms in.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

oldironnow
Is it just Assen?
Or is it now the new normal that sliding bikes are getting airborne like stock cars used to before they got flaps and vents ?
Stick with the MotoGP race to the end 👍👍
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

Tire pressure rules suck.
Marc was smart enough to loose a spot but still screwed in the end. I disliked that rule from day one. Now I think I’ll petition for its removal. Think Dorna will listen?
16 points for.01 for a short period is BS.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

Tire pressure rules suck.
Marc was smart enough to loose a spot but still screwed in the end. I disliked that rule from day one. Now I think I’ll petition for its removal. Think Dorna will listen?
16 points for.01 for a short period is BS.
I feel that, but then I come back at the issue from the other side.
The rule is there for a reason.
In my life-experience, Organizations don’t make rules without being goaded into it.
Everything slides until something goes sideways.
So it seems likely to me the rule exists because Michelin wants to be protected from racers/crew chiefs/Teams taking pressure risks that cause tire failure during the race.
Marketing asks Engineering to figure out what’s acceptable… bam (so to speak ). There’s the line.

I still vividly remember Nakano’s lurid crash at the end of Mugello’s front straight.
But I do not recall any chunking or delaminating in these recent years.

(When i was employed, the company used gutted trailers with doorways cut in the sides as moveable additions to the sorting building.
They would be backed up to a dock-doorway, plugged into the building for motor-power, heat and lights, and then employees entered to work.
One morning, after years of moving these units around and plugging into the building the rather large plug (which had a very cool auto-disconnect system in case a driver forgot to unplug), there was suddenly a very large and serious additional ground wire to the system … essentially the ground system for arc welding…
Working for a company that always strove to spend zero dollars, the first thing I thought of was “who died.”)
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

grado
Administrator

I think it was the tire manufacturer that was concerned about running below design pressure.

Imho, design the effin’ tire to handle the pressure swing.
As a whole, that tire might not perform as well as a more sensitive to pressure tire, but eh, let the rider deal with it.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

grado wrote
I think it was the tire manufacturer that was concerned about running below design pressure.

Imho, design the effin’ tire to handle the pressure swing.
As a whole, that tire might not perform as well as a more sensitive to pressure tire, but eh, let the rider deal with it.
Bingo!!! A tire choice should determine championship points. Not the tire.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

grado
Administrator

Wouldn’t it be cool if every team, hell, every rider showed
up with his tires?

“I have a complete set of Dunlops, 3 hards, 3 mediums and 4 softs.  Also I have 2 Bridgestone wets, front and rear.”

“Why the Bridgestone wets?”

“Well, I just feel in the wet it’s the best tire.
So I use it.”

“Why don’t you use one manufacturer for all your needs?”

“Because no one manufacturer makes the best for everything.”

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

oldironnow
Very cool
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

I like your idea, Grady.
It would make for some interesting racing.

I doubt marketing would care for it much.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

oldironnow
I also like the Grado-Idea.

More tools from the toolbox. More chaos in the ranks :)

This current system was started to create a level footprint

(and Michelin had an advantage at the Eurpean rounds - it could assess the track through qualifying, and then crank out a specific batch in France on Saturday night for the race on Sunday. Bridgestone couldn't logistically make that happen.)

Who's to say it is actually an even racing-field? Could there still be 'specials' in the lot to be funneled to certain riders to win or lose?

Today, I'm liking the idea of an open marketplace for tires.

It seems to be working for frames in Moto2.

.

Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

oldironnow
ALSO !

In the further interest of competition, it occurs to me that Moto3 seems to be technically stagnant and lacks more manufacturers than KTM and Honda.

Certainly it makes Moto3 stable, but the class could be an interesting Bouillabaisse of innovation.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: MotoGP AssenTT - 2024

Well, thing is, motogp is supposed to be cutting edge, prototype, the sky’s the limit engineering playground.

Level playing field, heck, that’s American Class C stuff.
World Superbike.

F:(k.

A set number of sealed motors.
Tire pressure geeks deciding finishes.