Motogp Yamahas

So the MOTOGP season ended with a B class Yamaha higher in the points than the three A class bikes of Rossi, Vinales and Quartararo.

The Yammis say they can’t get no grip. Is it that the horsepower over rides the tire?
I can’t see that because the Ducs have the real horsepower but they don’t seem to have the grip issues.

I wonder what gives that doesn’t allow grip?
I also wonder if Rossi will do better next year with a B class bike, if that what he ends up with.

The Yamaha engineers have their work cut out for them this winter.

Re: Motogp Yamahas

So the MOTOGP season ended with a B class Yamaha higher in the points than the three A class bikes of Rossi, Vinales and Quartararo.

The Yammis say they can’t get no grip. Is it that the horsepower over rides the tire?
I can’t see that because the Ducs have the real horsepower but they don’t seem to have the grip issues.

I wonder what gives that doesn’t allow grip?
I also wonder if Rossi will do better next year with a B class bike, if that what he ends up with.

The Yamaha engineers have their work cut out for them this winter.
That's a great question for KC.

There are so many variables to it.

I bet it even depends on what kind of grip they are lacking. Edge, upright. Cold or hot, Early 'drop.'

I think Quart's late-season performance 'drop' came when the tracks got colder and Team Yam wasn't allowed to lower the pressure on the Mitch-élans below the legal lowest PSI level. No flex, no heat, no grip.

OR

They went to the lowest level for heat, but that caused so much 'mush' in the front end, he couldn't steer.

So, why could Morbidelli make it work...?

Re: Motogp Yamahas

motogrady

Or, look at what happened.
The motors blowing up thing.
The brakes thing.
The number of guys running that brand, with everyone kind of doing their own thing, thing.

I read somewhere, it was a guy's opinion, that Suzuki, with its kind of small effort, was able to concentrate on that smaller effort, more than the rest.

Sometimes more, ain't better?

Re: Motogp Yamahas

Allred
Yeah, wasn't Rossi's previous complaint that Yamaha either wouldn't or couldn't get the electronics sorted out which led to early tire wear. Yamaha eventually did anti-up and improve things, but I don't think it was to the same standard of other teams. Add to that the fact that apparently Rossi's riding style made for more rapid rear tire wear than most and the problem never really got fixed to everyone's satisfaction.......least of all Rossi's!

I can only think that the Yamaha electronics, while improved, are still not up to par, and it affects most of the Yamaha riders, just to greater or lesser effect depending on individual rider style.......Morbidelli's style must be the the least affected by electronic assistance?

Over in the Honda camp everyone was complaining that the electronics were being manipulated exclusively for Marquez, ensuring that he won everything, but meanwhile other riders felt like they were riding a bucking bronco. Crutchlow eventually gave up complaining and resigned himself to adjusting to the bike rather than the other way around.......and it brought him improved success.

Not sure how or why the Suzukis have become so successful, maybe they have just become a fine blend of handling and electronics over time that most riders can easily adapt to? Probably the same with KTM.

The Ducatis had that huge top speed advantage, but that has been matched by some of the other brands now and so is not the advantage it used to be.