New member photo of HD 250 mx

Rich's Relics
This is the latest addition to my herd. Any info on parts availability appreciated.

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

motogrady

Welcome Rich.

The pics thing here is quirky.   I pulled this off your email.

Good luck with that project.

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

motogrady
Quick story on Rich's bike.

Back in the 70s HD wanted to get into a lot of things.
Motocross was one of them.

They invested a lot of resources in the program.  Created a team and hired a few of the best pro racers available. They ran the nationals, did okay with maybe a dozen full factory prototypes.

They then ordered 1,000 production bikes for sale to the American public.
They were produced at the Aermacchi factory in Italy, shipped to the US and assembled here.

Then, HD AMF hit on hard times.

Like they did with  Buell, the just shut the program down.

Of the 1,000 that were made and shipped to the US, it is rumored that half of them, 500,
were ordered crushed by the factory for the tax write off.

That left around 500 left.  Many were trashed or used up by guys just riding in the dirt.
Many met the fate of countless motorcycles, left to rot under a leaking tarp behind a garage.

I remember seeing 1 or 2 years ago in just that situation.

Which leaves, who knows, maybe 100 still out there.

Relics of the heyday period of Motocross in the USA they are.

Almost forgotten, they have become one of the hottest, and most desirable vintage dirt bikes out there.

And Rich has oneđź‘Ť

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

motogrady

Yeah.  They were out there for a bit.

Rocket Rex Staten was a take no prisoner kind of guy.

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

motogrady

Ya, they were for sure out there....

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

Haha......check out the photogs and spectators.  Not much of a fence, just right there, close enough to grab a handlebar as they went by!

Re: New member photo of HD 250 mx

Haha......check out the photogs and spectators.  Not much of a fence, just right there, close enough to grab a handlebar as they went by!
Those were the days!  I like taking a certain extra amount of responsibility for my risk.

Welcome, Rich - Nice bike, and congrats on the historic find!
Supports splitting everywhere.