No Daytona 200 2020☹️

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

That is a bummer. It's a shame it wasn't scheduled for November the 7th.
2021 can't get here fast enough.

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

That is a bummer. It's a shame it wasn't scheduled for November the 7th.
2021 can't get here fast enough.
Ya.
I went down there for maybe 2 weeks in 2015.
Caught the 200, was pretty cool.

For the first time in quite awhile I'm a bit ahead of the game, enough to where I was thinking about doing the biketoberfest and the 200 this time around.

Effin virus☹️

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

oldironnow
It was on my list this year.

Maybe next year, too.

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

It was on my list this year.

Maybe next year, too.
Hey, March is but 6 months away.
I know, a lot of things can happen in 6 months, but where better a place for a bunch of Moto heads
to meet up could there be, besides Daytona during bike week?

^ No truer statement. None!

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

It was on my list this year.

Maybe next year, too.
Hey, March is but 6 months away.
I know, a lot of things can happen in 6 months, but where better a place for a bunch of Moto heads
to meet up could there be, besides Daytona during bike week?

mmmmm,, maybe a meeting of the CV crew?

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

Well guys, I looked around to see if the 200 is gonna run this year, during bike week 2021.

And found, nobody really knows.

Called the AMA, I think I got an answering service.  Nice lady. But did not know the difference between
a dirt bike race and a street bike event.  She read off what was happening off a sheet, but was without clue really.  She then looked up the person that should know, and connected me to that number.
Another woman, not in the office, left a message and 4 days later no response.
I know, it's the holidays, and there's the Covid thing.
But jeez...

Bike Week has a website, and are showing like 4 events, the Supercross being one of them.
That's it. No 200.

MotoAmerica, no phone number on their site.  All they offer is an application to either run or apply for a press pass. Since they don't have Daytona on their schedule, I did not even try.

So, I then called ASRA.  Those guys run basically their own series, mainly on the East Coast.
And their 3rd stop this year is Daytona, where they have races scheduled at the Daytona track for
early March, the traditional time the 200 runs.
Left a message, and lo and behold, a guy called me back 3 days later.
And had an answer, sort of.

This is how it works.

Apparently, ASRA runs, that is organizes the teams, riders, does the flagging and scoring.

But, the Covid thing is the big stickler.

Which is really a shame, as there were a lot of teams and riders entered.  60 plus had signed up to run.
From as far as Europe and South America.

Some of these teams and guys even had their bikes shipped, ready to go, and still have them here, waiting for something to happen.

Which, to an outsider, is, I dunno, bizarre, crazy, or just plan sad.  Take your pick.

I mean, it's The Daytona 200 for Gods Sake.  The Mardi Gras of New Orleans.  The New Years of Times Square.  The Daytona 500 of Stock Car Racing.

How can this event not be happening?

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

hacksaw
wwell they made a mess out of times square ny eve this year.
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

motogrady
Holy crap guys.

Checked the website of ASRA, the guys that seem to have had The Daytona 200 dumped in their laps.

Look what's on their schedule.......

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

Re: No Daytona 200 2020☹️

motogrady

Ya, I saw that.  🙂

There's a few on the list that I'd like to see.
Hayes, Herring, if u look at the guys with a bunch of sponsors, you see some good riders.

Dunlop, very cool......