No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

motogrady

Man, I tell you guys, this Covid thing, seems like it's never gonna end.
Donna freakin cause I'm still workin.  Swap meets are shrinking. Passed on a theature showing of On Any Sunday. It's like the world is all a Monday. Even if you got the shot!

And now, this........

PICKERINGTON, Ohio—The American Motorcyclist Association will not participate in the 2021 Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme Motocross of Nations, Sept. 25-26 in Mantova, Italy. Ongoing COVID-19 mitigation efforts and ever-changing travel restrictions presented logistical challenges that contributed to the U.S. team’s decision.

“A number of issues have contributed to the logistical difficulty of attending the 2021 Motocross of Nations, on both an individual and team level, and these have been exacerbated greatly by current and expected COVID-19 mitigation efforts surrounding the event,” said AMA Director of Racing Mike Pelletier. “Due to the sizeable financial risk faced by all the team stakeholders, and the unknowns in play here, we came to the unanimous conclusion that suspending our participation was the responsible decision.”

“The AMA takes great pride in our efforts to compete in the Motocross of Nations each year, and we hope to return to the Motocross of Nations in 2022,” Pelletier added. “As we look forward to competing again in 2022, it’s our goal to bring back the Chamberlain Trophy to the U.S. once again.”

The FIM-sanctioned Motocross of Nations is a world championship team event featuring three-rider national teams. They compete for a combined score, which determines the overall championship-winning country.

The U.S. team is the all-time leader in FIM Motocross of Nations overall team victories, with 22 overall wins. Most of those wins took place under five-time Motocross World Champion and AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer Roger DeCoster’s direction, with the most recent U.S. Motocross of Nations win coming in 2011.

Re: No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

oldironnow
I'm starting to back away from a planned November flight to visit Granddaughter and her massively less interesting people () She's too young for The Vax. I'm not sure I want to risk bringing The Delta Var in an asymptomatic way.

If the airline let's me change, I may move the my banked flight from last year to a three-week stab at Europe - Sachsenring and Assen, 2022.

Cyclevisor Group Tour ??? Assen pegs the date at the last Sunday in June. Sachsenring may run the week before. Seems like a pretty solid couple of dates... ah. excpet the recent run of German races have been in early to mid July.

Now, it's a tough gamble.

Re: No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

motogrady

Ya, it's the unknown that's really hurting things that need to be planned out ahead of time.
If you look at that press release, the main thing is the fear of investing time and money,
not knowing if it will happen at all.

I dunno.   I've done all I can do, at this point.  Took the Johnson and Johnson about 2, 3 months ago.

Am I gonna go and cram in a plane, or breathe into a bunch of strangers from out of town at a swap meet, no.

But damn, one guy is ready for something.......most anythinglol!

Re: No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

Re: No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

The biggest item on my personal bucket list (as opposed to the list I share with my wife) is a trip to see the NW200 followed by touring Ireland (North and South), then the whole two weeks of the IOMTT. Tough to pull off for a stiff who's still working, even without COVID but I am gonna try. I have promised myself to do it by 2024, which means planning and booking it starting in 2022. Will travel be more predictable by then?
That's a good trip.

The traveling Rea fans I met all suggested just spending time wandering around their home turf and hitting their road-course races. Brilliant.

I tried shopping flights to Amsterdam for June 2022, and the prices with Delta are higher than I'd like this far out. In 2018 I paid $720. Now, they're running around $1700. Makes me not want to take the risk. (Plus, there a rule in place now for a clear Covid prior to return to the States. That's another gamble.)

The spot price for jet fuel is about 14% less expensive than it was in Sept. 2018.

Re: No MXON for the USA in 2021. Covid the cause.

oldironnow
The futures market doesn't look insane...