R12

hacksaw
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/r12.html

Oh boy!!!!

Re: R12

oldironnow
The paint feels like early ‘80s vintage.
The seat says HD.
Am I describing some kind of FXR from that time ?

Re: R12

Yes, FXR with a sportster seat is what I see. I like it. I doubt I'd buy it but I do like it.

Re: R12

Yes, FXR with a sportster seat is what I see. I like it. I doubt I'd buy it but I do like it.
Agreed. I like it, but would want other machines for BMW money.

Maybe a Guzzi version.
Maybe a Harley version.

In fact, maybe this is an attempt to get out in front of any HD Bronx machines.

Re: R12

hacksaw
Well we don’t know what the money will be.
It’s better looking than the current sportster .
A lot more powerful than a Guzzi EV7 .

The problem with Guzzi is still its limited dealership locations and uncertain availability of parts.

BMW , although not an issue with the R12, has extensive involvement with all its past vintage models. Something a huge majority of HD dealers do not.
The BMW dealers in my area ( all owned by the same guy)
Have me feeling like an actual part of the total BMW experience. Harley dealers not quite so much . Granted they both are there for the money . Or rather my money . But HD dealers just seem a bit more shallow. Perhaps because both the hd dealers I have dealt with for decades are under new ownership.
The big advantage of my BMW guys are they and pick up the bikes. Sometimes at no cost .
My Triumoh  dealer is close .
BMW dealers are hour away .
HD 30 or 40min away,
Guzzi about an hour away.
All of this figures into what’s convenient to me at this stage of my life.

Any Howz , I have stated the big 1800cc bmw cruiser was way over the top for me and that I wished they made a smaller version . I am anxious to see the R12

Re: R12

oldironnow
That’s a rational analysis.
I like this feeling they built exactly what you want.

Re: R12

hacksaw
Well we shall see.
I am also interested in the triumph 400’s when they come out .
Should  be an interesting Jan got new releases

Re: R12

Re: R12

hacksaw
The street 400 is 31.1 “ tall. Perhaps a tad tall but yiu are not considering the seat width.
Meaning a narrow seat gets you flat footed on the ground

Re: R12

hacksaw wrote
.

The problem with Guzzi is still its limited dealership locations and uncertain availability of parts.

BMW , although not an issue with the R12, has extensive involvement with all its past vintage models. Something a huge majority of HD dealers do not.
The BMW dealers in my area ( all owned by the same guy)
Have me feeling like an actual part of the total BMW experience. Harley dealers not quite so much . Granted they both are there for the money . Or rather my money . But HD dealers just seem a bit more shallow.
Your fortunate to have so many potential brands relatively close to you.
Guzzi has some interest with me but the nearest dealer is 4 hours away so I’m stuck with marketplace and Craigslist for my Guzzi viewing.  If I want a Harley or a hondsukyamer I have many dealers to choose from within an 40-60 minutes away. Euro bikes are a about an hour as well.

“Shallow” describes the HD dealership quite well. There is not much difference between them and a Hyundai dealership except you don’t see t-shirts and farkles at a Hyundai dealership. Maybe it shows who’s buying Harleys the most. If it were not that I just like Harleys over all the others I would be riding something else.
They have the advantage that they just fit me better and they are dang great bikes and the aftermarket sector is awesome.

Re: R12

hacksaw
Agreed.
My biggest issue with HD is they just don’t make a bike I particularly want.
I would likely have bought one of the last true sportsters if they hadn’t inflated the price on them .
One imho pays a premium when buying a new bike. Vs used off private ads. I want to feel good about the whole experience .
The problem with Harley is I usually know a lot more about the bikes than the salesmen .
So what am I paying for in that regard?
My triumph dealer is ok . Family bizz from the 50’s started as BMW. Currently truimph Yamaha Kawasaki Polaris. They used to handle excelsior victory and Ducati .
They have one long time salesman . He is solid but sometimes I have to work on him to loosen him up .
A mile away is Suzuki Honda Ducati Vespa and some Chinese crap.
I bought bikes  from them in the early 70’s in my Jap bike days.
What I don’t have is a vintage Brit shop. They are all gone around here . Even aftermarket Harley shops , I wouldn’t know who to go to .
There are a couple but I don’t know their work .

Re: R12

Well…..agreed, there is a premium on a brand new bike.
A friend of mine just last year wanted a 2nd Harley.
Just something newer.

Why, he told me but I forgot.
I think he was just attached to it as he has owned it forever. Said he and his wife had a lot of memories on it and just wanted to keep it.

He and his wife were at the HD dealer and he was ready to buy a year old trade in. Like 16k or something for a used ride.

His wife asked is that the one you really want?

They have been together forever also.

He told her well. I’d really like that new Ultra whatever,
but it’s just too much money. Like 9k too much more.

Said to me she grabbed the salesman and told him I want that Ultra whatever, here’s the check, and put it in my husbands name.

Premiums all around on that one.

Re: R12

hacksaw
Thsts women for you. It’s pretty much how i ended up with my hinkley Bonnie.
I hav no use for ultra anything . I can’t handle them anymore. If they fix my back and i eventually move to where it’s easier egress , who knows?
But I have had enuff baggers to satisfy me in life.

Ya know, I would get more grief from my wife for buying a used 3k$ sportster than I would  a 30k EGlide.
Go figure.