SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

Not sure why, but I got thinking about sodium-filled exhaust valves. I know that they were common in large aircraft engines during WWII as a way to cool exhaust valves, the valve stem was hollow and filled approx 50% with sodium, and as sodium becomes liquid at 208F, its presence inside the valve stem aided in transfer of heat from the valve head when it became hot by basically sloshing back and forth within the valve stem and transferring heat away from the valve head.

I was wondering if sodium-filled valves were still used, and a quick search on the internet brought up, no surprise, an article by KC on just this matter!
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/some-facts-about-sodium-filled-valves/

Many years ago, about 52 years ago to be approximately precise (I know, an oxymoron)  a buddy and I learned through the local grapevine that an excavation crew working on an oil pipeline in the North Sea off the east coast of England had uncovered an old aircraft engine. They put it to one side on the muddy flats of the shoreline and continued with their laying of pipeline. The grapevine information was that it was a Rolls Royce Merlin engine from a Hawker Hurricane, or possibly an early Supermarine Spitfire.

This was before the days when such things had sky-high dollar value, restoration of such things was a thing of the future, and an aluminum (aluminium?) engine like this that had lain buried in the salt water mud for 30 years would probably be of little interest to anyone anyway. We waited several weeks, maybe even a month or two, and having not heard of any specific organization or authority having shown any interest in the engine my buddy and I decided to drive out to the area and see if we could find it. I'm not sure what we intended to do with it, I think we maybe thought we would load it into our vehicle and bring it home!!!!

Having learned the approximate location of the item from local lore, we drove the 20 or 30 miles out there and did eventually spot the engine. The coast in that part of the world slopes extremely gradually and tides are as much as 35 ft and go several miles out.......meaning the difference between high tide and low tide can be 2, 3 or even 4 miles.  We arrived at low tide and using binoculars the engine was quite obvious, it stuck out like a sore thumb as a dot in the distance on the muddy flats of the recently sea-covered shore.

We had purposely borrowed a 4-wheel-drive Landrover with thoughts that we may be able to drive right up to the engine and somehow haul it into the back of the vehicle (A 27 liter V12 Merlin weighs nearly 1,700lbs.....the naivety of youth is just amazing!) but it was quite obvious that where it was located we had no chance of driving up to it anyway, and it would take considerable effort, equipment and determination to get direct vehicle access to it.

So, we drove as close as we dared in the Landrover, and then walked the extra 1/2 mile or so to the engine.  It was relatively "complete", we assumed the structure of the aircraft had been so fragile and decomposed that the engine was the only solid item the pipeline crew thought worth salvaging as they moved it out of their way and placed it on the sand/mud flats.

The remnants of a two-bladed wooden propeller stub was still there indicating it was an early model as three-bladed propellers were not fitted until after 1939, and metal, constant-variable ones even later. At first glance the engine looked in remarkably good condition considering its location and history, but our thoughts of salvaging the motor complete were dashed when we realized that despite the high quality metal parts being in relatively good condition, the basic aluminum structure of the engine had been compromised by years of exposure to salt water.

I was a little surprised at the size of the engine, the valves and valve springs were exposed as the aluminum valve covers had long since been eaten away, and the valve springs were rusty, but the valve stems were still shiny bright!. Once we realized the extent of the salt deterioration there didn't seem to be much that would be salvageable , but I did wonder if I could remove some of the 48 valves complete with springs......... I had a wild idea that they would make great chess pieces! I tugged on a valve spring and it came away in my hand, complete with collets and valve, I repeated this for several others, some gave way easily, others resisted. It was cold, the wind was blowing, we were getting tired and disappointed that we weren't going to go home with a complete V12 Merlin engine in the back of our Landrover, so I tugged about 4 or 5 of the valves which offered the least resistance and we left with some complete valves and valve spring units.

Those valves made for interesting talking points for many years, they were made of Cobalt and were as shiny as the day they were made despite all those years in salt water.

Anyway, a rambling story which started off about sodium-filled exhaust valves.

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

Very cool piece of memory right there, Allred.
Pretty cool to be able walk up to that engine and snag some pieces.

The only engine I’ve ever come across is an old lawnmower motor rusted beyond identification.

How long did you hang on to them valves?

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

oldironnow
"disappointed that we weren't going to go home with a complete V12 Merlin engine"

A very nice understatement of that century

Can I thank you enough for this story? No. I love it. So tactile. I felt cold and damp wind-blown exposed just reading it.

So, um... just where exactly did you day this engine is?

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

How long did you hang on to them valves?
They sat for many years on a shelf at the place where I worked, they attracted a lot of attention becasue they were so damned big. I don't remember what happened to them, I presume I left them there when I left. The company closed in later years so I don't know what their fate was.

I'm thinking they are probably worth a dollar or two now.

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

So, um... just where exactly did you day this engine is?

LOL....somewhere out here maybe, likely long gone I'm afraid.

I am not sure, but I seem to remember hearing later that some aircraft-enthusiast-organization did eventually go out to the site, not sure why it took them so long to do it, and I'm not sure if they actually salvaged the engine or not.  There were rumors that they were not happy to find that "vandals" had been there before them and torn some of the valves out of the cylinder heads!

With hindsight I'm sure that today the motor would be highly desirable if only for the salvageability of parts like the crankshaft, camshafts, timing gears, etc.

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

oldironnow
Thanks for the photo.

That's effin' cool!

Do you have to mind yourself not to get caught out by the incoming tide?

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

oldironnow
https://www.roushaviation.com/parts-inventory/

These are listed as valves, but look like a box of springs:

http://www.aerovintagespares.com/avspares/Rolls_Royce_Merlin_spares.html

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

Do you have to mind yourself not to get caught out by the incoming tide?
Most definitely, it can be extremely dangerous if you are not familiar with the tides and the area. The tide can come in faster than you can walk and it is easy to get cut off.

I used to do wildfowling in that area as a younger man and had been tutored in the dangers, but some were not. I know of several examples of shooters being caught unawares by an unusually high tide and barely making it out of there.

In 1969 four horseback riders set off on a sunny Sunday morning ride when a fog rolled in. They lost their bearings and were never seen again. The only evidence was one of the dead horses washed up days later.

Re: SODIUM-FILLED VALVES

 Yes, that is strange, definitely not valves, just a box of new springs.

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/power.html

Found this site, used valves and springs for £65.00 (about $80.00), not as "valuable" as I thought they would be.

.