T.E. Lawrence. The Road.

grado

Re: T.E. Lawrence. The Road.

Allred
I didn't know T.E Lawrence, but knew two motorcycle enthusiasts (much older than I) who did know him well and were close friends. A man and wife, Mr and Mrs Appleton, knew him well and would relay tales of their experiences with him when they came into the shop I worked in as a teenager. They spoke of how such an exuberant and charismatic person he was (and also his obvious sexual "leanings") and how he was such an enthusiastic motorcyclist.

Re: T.E. Lawrence. The Road.

grado
Administrator

Ya, I read he had some, ah, leanings all right lol.

Also I believe it was his death, the head injury that was a real driver as far as motorcycle helmet design.

I used to help with a vintage bike show a few years back.
One year a guy had a Brough Superior there.  Beautiful bike.
People would at first just glance at it, then move on to the more flashy, late model stuff.

But when I mentioned it was the same bike Lawrence of Arabia rode, and got killed on, you almost had to shoo them away.