The RoadRacing Of Nations.

motogrady

Wouldn't it be the greatest?

Maybe hold it the first weekend after New Years Day.

Invite each country on the globe, to pick their 3 best roadracers, that would like to represent their flag in an annual event.

Score it Olympic style. First place, no points, 2nd, 1 point, right on down the line.
Lowest total score for all 3 riders on a team wins.

Would it be hard to get guys off the couch half way thru their off season?  Sure.
Would it be hard to get the factories, or clubs, to finance sending 3 bikes and their riders
to a different track on the globe every year?  Yep.  Who in their right mind would organize
and try to bring it all together?  Got me.

But, to have all the different Nations that would, and could, get together in one place to mix it up, for the bragging rights to Fastest Nation........Wouldn't that be the greatest?

Re: The RoadRacing Of Nations.

Re: The RoadRacing Of Nations.

motogrady

Ya...that's a good list.

Thing is, would they agree to run?

In the dirt side, there are 2 events that fit that bill.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Six_Days_Enduro

The Six Days.  For over a century, the yardstick that measured the great ones.
The Italians, the Spanish, the Finns, the French come to mind as consistent contenders.
Not like we here in The States have never done it.  I think we took it in 2016 and 19.
The International Trophy, I think that's what they call it.  As a rider, just to finish is a big deal.  To have a team of guys finish all 6 days, performing better than all comers, truly a great accomplishment.

It's been said, if you can't take a wheel off, change the tire, and put it back on in under 5 minutes, by yourself.....you don't belong in the ISDE.

https://youtu.be/RcN3zrl-4I8

The other event that fits this bill is The MXON. The MotoCross of Nations.
Kind of the same deal, 3 riders from each country.  But you don't have to work on your stuff. It also has been running a long time.  Since right after WW2. We've done a bit better
as a Nation in this one.  Heck, we went on a tear back in the 80s, and the 2000's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motocross_des_Nations

Been to 2 of them, Unadilla and Budds Creek.
The pagentry, the party atmosphere, the different languages, the different peoples,
truly awesome experiences, both of them.

I don't think we sent a team last year, the Covid thing.
Just as well really. Generally, we suck in the mud.

https://youtu.be/w2FtCWb2iUw

Ya, something like the above, to break up the long winter, road racing wise, that would be a good thing.

Re: The RoadRacing Of Nations.

Right now, I guess our best three would be Gerloff, Beaubier, and Gagne. Or maybe Roberts.  Think how hard it would be for other countries to choose their top three.
Thing is, it's kind of rare for a lot of Nations to send their best.
Some guys, don't want to go because, well, why should they?
They've been riding all year.
Very little prize money.  You race basically for national pride. There is the possibility of injury factor.  The factories as a rule don't like bothering with a one off event like this.

Then there's the reputation thing.

Would a Marquez or Quartarano step down, equipment wise, and take the chance of getting beat by Gagne or Rea?  I mean, everyone would have to be on production based stuff, to be fair.

One would think it would be the Nations with the greatest depth, rider wise, that would do well.   Not the top tier guys, it would be the young guns, the hungry ones, that would carry the day.  The Spanish, The Italians, one thinks they would be the guys to beat.

[...]

This is why We would win; our people have much more to gain.

Now i have a new lotto goal!

That, and buying a defunct racetrack!

Re: The RoadRacing Of Nations.