The ideal Street Sportbike?

Mad4TheCrest
I've been mulling over a question I thought I had answered to my satisfaction long ago, but ... no ... I really haven't:

What makes the ideal street sportbike?

Should it be mostly upright, using 'naked' ergos, or is that blasphemy and it has to be café at the least and race rep preferably?

Does it need to have dominant power for the racetrack even if it's only used for the Street, and if so what classifies as dominant? 200 bhp? 150 bhp? 100 bhp? Should the focus be on torque or bhp?

As an addendum to that last question, what is more important to a good street sportbike, power or handling?

What about electronics? What would be the ideal mix? Or does it not really matter?

Can a cruiser ever be legitimately called a sportbike?

What would be the bike you'd choose to own right now, to ride as your sportbike? Cost not an object.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

motogrady

I'd say, somewhere between a crotch rocket and a naked.

Let's say, a Royal Enfield Interceptor, that I'd call a naked bike.
40-60 hp.  No fairing, no panners, maybe a disc up front.  Standard long bench type seat.
Easy on the ass and back. Add air cooled if you like.  A naked bike.

Then, there's the Ninjas and their ilk.  Crotch rockets.

I dunno, good question.

Something in between. 60, 80hp.

 What were those Yamaha in line 4s they made for a few years.
I think they were 750's?  They had a bit of fairing, you could pack double.  I think they had a windshield.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Allred
Mad4TheCrest wrote
What makes the ideal street sportbike?

The answer is fairly simple..........

yes it has to be café.
yes it has to have dominant power.
the focus should be on torque (and horsepower),
yes handling is important.
no, electronics are not of prime consequence.
no a cruiser is not a sport bike.

Add to that........
it has to have a fairing. (150-200hp without a fairing is an oxymoron)
it has to be reasonably comfortable for relatively long rides.
it has to be fairly maintenance free.
it has to be super reliable.

The Suzuki Hayabusa is café styled, it has dominant power over pretty much everything on the road, it has torque in abundance, it has excellent handling, it has ride select and ABS which is all you need, it has a wind-efficient and body protecting fairing, it has a sporty yet comfortable riding position, it has a relatively low seat height, the motor is unburstable.  The series II (2008-2020) can be purchased with ultra low mileage in mint condition for under $10K.

Oh, and it's pretty!!!!!!......(in its own unique way)

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Mad4TheCrest
Thanks for chiming in, Allred. It is hard to argue against the Hayabusa. It's fast, powerful, handles well enough considering its weight, and is often pictured with a beautiful woman. I can easily see the big Suzook as someone's top sportbike choice, although it's ultimately not my cup of tea.

I have come around to preferring light weight, nimble handling, and power that allows you to wring it's neck without eliciting CHP roadblocks and helicopter chases. The power does have allure though (as does the associated women).

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

motogrady wrote
... What were those Yamaha in line 4s they made for a few years.
I think they were 750's?  They had a bit of fairing, you could pack double.  I think they had a windshield.
Depends on how many years ago. Yamaha had a really nice inline four FJ6 followed by an FJ8, before dropping the I-4 for their new Triple FJ9 (now MT-09).

You could make a good case that the half-faired FJ06 was a pretty good sportbike, similar to the claim made for the Tracer GT (slightly ADV'd version of the MT-09). I really liked the FJ8, but it was around for what, 2 years, before being dumped?

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Allred
Mad4TheCrest wrote
power that allows you to wring it's neck without eliciting CHP roadblocks and helicopter chases.
LOL, yes..........Suzuki says Hayabusa means Peregrine Falcon, but I think you are right, it also translates to "CHP roadblocks and helicopter chases"!!!

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

grado
Administrator

It's the fj6 I was thinking about.
Mainly because I ran into 2 guys, on 2 different occasions, that loved them.

One guy told me he was on his second one.  That he had had one, sold it for a full fairing crotch and knew immediately he had made a mistake.
Said he tried bonding with, I think he said it was a cbr. But after a year, sold that and looked until he found a low hours fj6. Said it was the best all around bike be ever had.

This is the bike I'm talking about.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Mad4TheCrest
grado wrote

This is the bike I'm talking about.
That's the bike I was thinking about, but I called it the wrong letter designation, it's FZ6 not FJ6. Called the Fazer in the UK, it was a great bike that wasn't as popular as its predecessor, which was less sporty but had more useable midrange.  This one really revved out - but sort of in the middle between the older version and an R6.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Fatfatboy
Let’s see,,, the ideal street capable sport bike,,,,
I’m thinking something nimble, light (400 pounds or less) ,500cc (or less) that I can crank the throttle without the fear of a dance with Johnny Law or a hunt for a side street to hide down.

Something that doesn’t require 6.5 hours of fairing removal to change the oil. A nice bullet fairing to duck behind would be sweet.
Something low maintenance that doesn’t require a tackle box full of shims to keep the motor quiet.

Bars low but not kissing the front tire low. Maybe a clubman set on clamp risers so I can adjust up or down with just the loosening of a couple bolts depending on how my neck is feeling that day and just how spirited I want to ride.

Oh,,, and because of the lymphedema in my left leg has it looking like a German sausage I would like pegs midway, please. Rearsets just won’t do.

One last ask, v-twin please,,, or an L.

I don’t think this exist in the United of States.
Maybe a modified Ducati Sixty2.

Re: The ideal Street Sportbike?

Mad4TheCrest
"...Maybe a modified Ducati Sixty2..."

I think you'd find that a little anemic. I'm guessing if you could put the now-discontinued Monster 821 motor into a scrambler chassis it would be something very interesting. Possibly a little fugly though given l/c piping.