The top 5.

motogrady
So, I’m reading an article about how motorcycle taxis and transportation in the larger African cities is getting out of hand.

https://apnews.com/article/uganda-bodaboda-motorcycle-taxis-traffic-74665cbf333bc540fcab9ec148464956

Boda boda!  We have wheelie boys they have boda boda.

Anyway, the article mentions most boda boda riders are on a brand named Bajaj Auto.
The most popular bike in Africa.

So I thought, who sells the most?
On planet Earth.
So I looked around….

In 2023……

5th.  TVS Motor. India. 3.4 million units sold.
4th.  Bajaj Auto. India. 3.6 million.
3rd.  Yamaha. Japan.  4.6 million.
2nd.  Hero.  India. 5.6 million.
1st.   Honda. Japan. 18.5 million.

All in all, last year, including those out of the top 5,
62.5 million motorcycles were made and sold last year.

Re: The top 5.

oldironnow
I saw that BodaBoda article.
Gives a palpable sense of the desperation.
Thanks for posting the link here. 👍
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: The top 5.

Wow, that's a lot of motorcycles. Of course they are probably all small bikes used more for transportation for the family, chickens and the occasional door from Home Depot.
It would be nice if more US folk took that idea in the big cities.

It's a shame that Uganda has all these young men without jobs when here in the US we are missing men of that age in the trades.
If they could only learn our language and hitch a ride on a plane.