Tools Advice Sought

oldironnow
Any recommendations on a click torque wrench and a floor jack to lift a pickup?

Re: Tools Advice Sought

motogrady
Kind of at a loss on those guy.
My torque wrench is pretty old, the kind that has the rod with a pointer that has a scale by the handle.
It's off by about 3 lbs, was the only wrench that could pop the nut on a Montesa tapered countershaft sprocket nut. Bent the rod, but got the nut off.

Sears used to be the go to place for me, for the quality stuff.
But alas, Amazon took care of them.

Maybe hit a new car dealership in your town, walk out back and hit up one of the older mechanics,
find out when the SnapOn or MAC guy stops in.  They're gonna be expensive.

The jack, Tractor Supply.

Re: Tools Advice Sought

whatarush
Terry (ZRX4ME) did a show and tell on torque wrenches and how to recalibrate them once at our meetings. When I asked which wrench he recommended, he said Snap-On was his first choice, but pricey. His second choice was SK Tools.

As for a floor jack I like AC Delco 3 1/2 Ton floor jack for taller vehicles and my Daytona low-profile floor jack

Re: Tools Advice Sought

The ones at The Shop.
The Shop is the place that works on my automobiles.

I’m embarrassed to say, I don’t work on my auto’s anymore.
Although last night I did use my 30 year old el-cheapo 2 ton jack to lift my T-Bucket to adjust the spring load.

I have to agree with Whatarush on the AC delco jacks. They must be good. Through the years I’ve had to replace a couple of them at my work. They keep disappearing.

My torque wrenches are some off brand names but they are accurate.

What are ya torqin?

Re: Tools Advice Sought

oldironnow
Thank yous for the replies!

I'm torquing the Buell fasteners. Specifically, the axles, which have ridiculous torque ranges of 39-41 lb./ft and 49-51 lb./ft. I have an old Sears beam-type wrench, but after hurrying through reinstalling the forks after service, I likely over torqued the front by 20 pounds.......  At least, that's what the wrench suggested when I pulled the wheel to find the source of a weird and disturbing front-end 'looseness' at slow speeds and over bumps. Often a tuck-ish feeling to the left.

So I may have crushed the flimsy aluminum axle tube.That has a tolerance of 0.002 inches................  Fricken Eric......

I wrecked my old floor jack when the pickup slid off it recently, twisting the entire jack assembly. I was rushing the lifting, and it excited the truck enough to walk a bit in the direction of the very slight slope across the driveway.

Re: Tools Advice Sought

................  Fricken Eric......
LOL!! I wonder how many people have uttered those words through the years

oldironnow wrote
I wrecked my old floor jack when the pickup slid off it recently, twisting the entire jack assembly. I was rushing the lifting, and it excited the truck enough to walk a bit in the direction of the very slight slope across the driveway.
Yikes, Glad you were not under it.

Re: Tools Advice Sought

oldironnow
I'm still using the 40 year-old Craftsman beam-style torque wrench, but I did get this Husky floor jack from HD (not that one, the other one).

Works good, too.

They had their SKUs mixed up. The spot under the correct tag was stacked with the incorrect floor jack.  A cheaper model. While the cheaper model's spot under its tag was empty - void of jacks. I could see waaaay up on the steel racks what looked like a pile of boxed jacks that matched the packaging I'd seen on-line. I had to rally the almost-closed store's skeleton crew to adventure up there to check it out. Sure enough, they was thems that I was looking for.

But the workers insisted that I was confused, and I couldn't convince them that their system was 'jacked'. I said that I should pay the proper amount. But they all had that glassy-eyed "this is extremely not my problem' look. So I walked over to self-checkout and scanned myself a nice deal.

And I tell you that story in advance of asking you all about welders.

Does anyone have recommendations for hobby or professional-grade MIG or TIG welders?