Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

motogrady

I'd wager it has to do with styling.  Cosmetics. My first impression was holy crap, that tank sits kinda high, like right in your chest.

As far as seat height, I know in the dirt bike world long travel suspension killed it.

I mean, for awhile there, you'd see the shorter guys take a milk crate to the starting line,
just to be able to reach it with their right foot while waiting for the gate to drop.

Ahhhh.......long and low, the way I like 'em, seems kinda passé nowadays.

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

What the heck is going on in the bike industry? The latest ....... is the loss of 0.7 gallons from the 4.1 gallons of the 2022 Speed Triple RS to the Cafe-ized Speed Triple RR (3.4 gallons).
"Less is the new More"?

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Allred
I tend to think that the fault lies with designers who have their heads up their ass. Designers who fuss and fret over unimportant things at the expense of things that really matter to the serious rider.

For years they have been trying to push the "preying mantis"/"stick insect" look, despite the shouts of horror from the majority of serious riders

Maybe they are the same designers who worked on the Pontiac Aztec?

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

That is a good looking bike. Especially in the red and black.

I bet you’re right about needing space for electronics. Probably have them wadded up under the tank.

If you’re looking for big tanks and low seat heights look no further than HD 😂

Or the copycat V-stars

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

oldironnow
At first I thought they may have stolen from the fuel tank to expand the airbox, but output levels are claimed to be the same.

Then, maybe the tank was slimmed to get the bike under 200kgs dry, but the RS is listed at the same factory webpage as 198 wet....

So that got me thinking about the fluidity of factory numbers, and maybe no one cared to notice the discrepancy.

But the suspension seems to be the big difference. I bet the tank space has been eaten up by stepper motors for the active suspension.

Also, they write of a café look. Using their webpage's 360 feature, it does seem the fuel tank has been thinned just a bit along the inside-thigh path.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/triumph-speed-triple-1200-rr-all-you-need-to-know-2541510

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/ducati-panigale-v4-vs-v4s-electronic-suspension-justified

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

motogrady

Well, looking at it again, the issue, if there is one, starts with the frame type.

The single tube backbone type allowed for a fuel tank to kind of wrap around it, with the 2 sides of the tank hanging below it.

That frame on the Triumph looks to be someything along the lines of a twin spar or trellis deal.  It's too wide for the tank wrap around it.

Answer seems to be, just sit the tank on top of it.

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Talking of small gas tanks I went onto reserve at 118 miles while out on the Nighthawk today. The gas tank holds 3.4 gals, with 0.5 being a reserve, so only 2.9 gals on main petcock, so a maximum of around 135 miles at normal speeds, maybe 150 miles if riding gently.

Because the gas can only flow into the carbs via a vacuum controlled diaphragm in the petcock during normal running, when it does run out of the main level in the gas tank the float chambers are all pretty much empty when it splutters onto reserve.

This means that by the time you realize that the reason for the misfiring is the fact you are "out of gas" and you lean down and fumble with the petcock to turn it onto reserve it takes quite a while for the spinning engine to hold the petcock diaphragm open long for enough fuel to flow into the float chambers for the motor to spring back to life. If you happen to run onto reserve while at a signal light, it takes a lot of use of the starter motor to keep the petcock diaphragm open long enough for a re-start.

The advantage of the system is you can leave the petcock in the "on" position without having to worry about stuck float needles/overflowing float chambers when the bike is parked, but it does mean you have to keep a close eye on the trip meter and/or fuel gauge.

The digital fuel gauge is pretty accurate and even blinks at you when it is about to go onto reserve, so you do get plenty of warning, and I always zero the trip meter when I fill up.  But today I got caught out and had to coast into the slow lane on the freeway while the freewheeling motor kept the petcock diaphragm open long enough for the float bowls to fill and for the engine to burst back onto 4 cylinders again.

Hey, is that your 'first ride back?'

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Hey, is that your 'first ride back?'
No, I have been able to ride for about the last 2-to-3 weeks. Initially just a mile or two was too painful and I had to head home, but gradually I could go further, and now I think I can pretty much do as I please.

I'm starting my 10th week since the surgery, and while it was slow going for the first 6 or 7 weeks, the healing became rapid during the last 2 or 3 weeks and I would rate myself as fully recovered now.

High five!

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

Re: Triumph Shrinking Tank Size

High five!
Mad4TheCrest wrote
"...I would rate myself as fully recovered now..."

That is excellent news!
 Thanks guys, I feel I am very fortunate to have come through this so relatively unscathed.

.