UIM

Universal Italian Motorcycle

Moto Guzzi has upped the ante on the V7 line up. Jumped up to an 850cc giving 25% more power over the 750cc.

Really is a good looking no frills bike.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-moto-guzzi-v7-first-look/?fbclid=IwAR2sonoy6KhFnUUj-K_yyIkovqo6iAMP0c598aywg3RKfzju_qRKlVpd_Y0

Re: UIM

Have to agree that the classic V7 styling is ageless, and there's a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and Moto Guzzi hasn't fixed it in 50 years.

The 1970's Moto Guzzi V7 844cc Le Mans boasted 71rwhp, so an "increase" to 65bhp in 2021 is slow improvement. And the reduction to a single front disc is hardly advancement either.

Up close the early examples suffered with some "agricultural" finish/design, and the most recent examples that I saw up close still did, and they also suffered with some reliability problems too, which after all this time producing basically the same motorcycle is hardly a recommendation.

But, I'm really not knocking it, I feel that the retention of styling and features from a previous age is often a good thing, especially the beautiful lines that the V7 has, and as you say FatFat, this is the epitome of a UIMC.

I still think the initial Le Mans was the best looking model.............

Re: UIM

m143
The new V7 caught my eye also.
I have a 1970 Ambassador hooked to a big side car. The poor thing never has it easy.
The bike doesn't seem any more needy than any of my other old bikes.
I think about making it a solo bike again 'cuz it is very pretty in it's Italian way.

This is the way I envision my bike, maybe some day...

This is my Old Lady on mine before I put the sidecar on.

Re: UIM

oldironnow
I have always desired that 850 LeMans very much.

I've never ridden one, but I feel it could be my only bike.

Re: UIM

hacksaw
i had a "67 V7. should have kept it. it was so automotive.  but that new one will blow all these others away.
i never got excited over the lemans. too long and too kind of squared off.

rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: UIM

hacksaw
i also have some doubt over the lemans claimed hp. i believe hp rating were much more optimistic in those days. even still, like all bikes , the new guzzi should be able to be tweeked beyond its euro restrictions which would likely exceed the claimed lemans rating.
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: UIM

Allred
hacksaw wrote
i also have some doubt over the lemans claimed hp. i believe hp rating were much more optimistic in those days.
Yes, it used to be that bhp was rated at the back wheel, then the Japanese came along and started rating it at the crank. This was road-going machines and racing machines alike, Hailwood's 500 Honda was rated at 105bhp, Agostini's 500 MV was rated at 85bhp, they were in fact about the same, The Honda was rated at the crank, and the MV at the back wheel.

When the CB750 Honda 4 came out in '69 it was rated at 67bhp, which seemed a lot compared to the Norton Commando's 55bhp, but of course they were measured differently. (plus the Norton's was at 6,700rpm, the Honda's at 8,000rpm)

I think the European manufacturers gave up trying to explain to the public why their bikes had less horsepower than the Japanese and just started quoting crank hp.

The 1971 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport had a claimed output of 52 bhp, this would be at the back wheel, the later 850cc claims of 70hp (a 35% increase) will no doubt be at the crank.

Re: UIM