United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

Hats off to those die hard motorcycle guys and gals at MXSPORTS in Morgantown WV, for making this happen.

Starting this weekend, August 15th, the best Motocross riders in the world, will line up for America's
National MX Championship.

This series, like most that are going off this year, is not a lot like those of years past.
There are new tracks, there is an old, formally off the schedule  pristine track.  A double header at an iconic track. A track from the State that gives us the Indy 500.  A sand track from Florida.

9 events total.  Looking at the schedule, it must be a logistical nightmare for the teams that will run.
From the Northwest, to the Southeast, there will be a lot of #2 diesel fuel consumed as they crisscross
the USA.

The first event, a track that has been the site of the Amatuer Nationals for a long, long time.
Loretta Lynn's.

Yes, that Loretta Lynn.

 Almost every pro rider has passed thru that place on the way to the top.
Its a flat track. It will be hot. It will be humid. It will be the first time a Pro National will be held there.

TV times are by my account, still up in the air.  But will be listed here ASAP.

Ya, it's only 9 events.  But, it's Factory Honda.  Factory Yamaha.  KTM, Kawasaki, and a slew of private teams.  With the baddest pilots in the nation at the controls.

Motocross Nationals, 2020.  Yeah baby.

The schedule.

Loretta Lynn’s National, Aug. 15

–Washougal MX Park, Aug. 22

–Ironman National, Aug. 29

–RedBud MX, Sept. 5, Sept. 8

–Spring Creek National, Sept. 19

–WW Ranch National, Sept. 26

–Thunder Valley National, Oct. 3

–Fox Raceway National, Oct. 10

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

Press release from Lucas Oil, main sponsor of American Motocross Pro Racing.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (July 16, 2020) – Following extensive efforts by race organizers, local government and health officials, participants, sponsors, and series partners, MX Sports Pro Racing has announced the intention to host a nine-round schedule to complete the 2020 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing. The season is scheduled to begin on August 15, with the inaugural professional event at famed Loretta Lynn’s Ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee. The next eight rounds will take place at well-known venues ranging from Washougal MX Park in Washington to Spring Creek MX Park in Millville, Minnesota. The 2020 series will also feature the first-ever Pro Motocross “doubleheader” at RedBud MX in Buchanan, Michigan.

The first half of the season will open with five consecutive rounds. Following the debut of the Loretta Lynn’s National, the schedule will then travel to the scenic Pacific Northwest for the Washougal National, on August 22, before heading to the greater Indianapolis area for the Ironman National, on August 29. From there, Michigan’s legendary RedBud MX will give way to the season’s lone off weekend after it hosts a pair of races around the Labor Day holiday, on Saturday, September 5, and Tuesday, September 8. Racing will resume with the Spring Creek National in Minnesota, on September 19, before heading to Florida for the WW Ranch National, on September 26. The penultimate round of the championship will take place in Colorado with the Thunder Valley National, on October 3, before crowning a pair of champions in Southern California at the season-ending Fox Raceway National, on October 10.

All events on the 2020 Pro Motocross schedule will adhere to social distancing guidelines and health management protocols. Each round will be conducted in accordance with local and state ordinances, as identified between the event organizer and local officials.   The paddock will be closed to the general public, with access limited to properly credentialed parties only and facemasks required at all times.  Hand-washing stations and hand sanitizer stands will be placed throughout the venues and personal hygiene education signage will be prominent.

“While we continue to navigate through these challenging and continuously evolving times of the coronavirus pandemic, we are confident that we’ve developed the framework for a high-caliber championship schedule that can be successfully implemented,” said Roy Janson, MX Sports Pro Racing Competition Director. “Although we respect the unpredictability of scheduling any live events during these uncertain times and are sensitive to the hardships many people are going through, we remain committed to making our best effort to host the world’s most prestigious motocross championship. Thanks to the tireless and cooperative efforts of our event organizers, competitors, sponsors and partners, not to mention the ongoing communication alongside local officials, we have an opportunity to prioritize the health and well-being of everyone. We will conduct these events in a safe environment by implementing several policies, all in an effort to control as many variables as possible.”

Select events will feature limited spectator capacity, while others will be conducted exclusively for participants, professional and amateur, with attendance limited to crew members and family. All events will feature an amateur racing component, both before and after the professional race day. Ticketing and amateur race program information will be posted Monday, July 20, on the event websites.

“From the moment we faced our first bout of adversity surrounding the coronavirus we have diligently tried to find a way to make the 2020 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship a reality,” said Davey Coombs, President of MX Sports Pro Racing. “Needless to say, it’s been a tumultuous year for everyone, and I think we’re on Plan ‘W’ by now. But we’re racers at heart, and our business is founded on bringing together fellow racers for some of the world’s most competitive and high-profile off-road motorcycle events. We know the motocross community is as passionate about this championship as we are, as it’s the lifeblood of the sport, and it’s been our goal to bring everyone, from riders to fans alike, the series they deserve. We’re confident that this schedule will accomplish that, and we look forward to providing the joy and sense of normalcy that American motocross can bring during these incredibly uncertain times.”

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

Just a few weeks ago.  This is what the kids are up to.

https://youtu.be/QUZi0tA-No8

Ah, the Motocross.  If you notice, there will be a guy, usually a referee, that walks across the track right before the start.  You see him, you know, it's time to get real.  He looks at each rider, and makes eye contact, pointing at you.  If you are ready, you nod.  If you have issues, the bike won't start, your goggles are messed up, whatever, you can raise your hand, and they will hold things up, usually for 60 seconds. Then, ready or not, the gate drops.

Check out the guy that comes in from the left, that grabs the hole shot.  Avoids both jumps, wide open, never lets off, and dissapears.     Yikes.

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

oldironnow
Thanks for the tutorial about The Referee of Realness.

Holeshot man had a plan :)

Number 24, making moves and getting bounced out of his rut.

I could feel myself getting light 'going over the jumps.'

Why the kick-out when in the air? For style, joy or does it have a tactical meaning?

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

Thanks for the tutorial about The Referee of Realness.

Holeshot man had a plan :)

Number 24, making moves and getting bounced out of his rut.

I could feel myself getting light 'going over the jumps.'

Why the kick-out when in the air? For style, joy or does it have a tactical meaning?

.
As far as kicking out, all of the above.  With a bit more.

It's called scrubbing.  With a bit of Tomac thrown in.  Tomac, our Nation Champ, has/had a weird habit of lifting his right boot off the peg in mid air.  That part is just kids emulating someone they look up to.

The main reason it's done, is to get out of the air, where you are just hanging around, and back on the ground and on the gas.
Yes, at times, it's advantageous to just send it.  If there are a few jumps in a row, or really really bad track, a sand section, whatever, there are times to just go big and clear it all.

Scrubbing was made popular by James Stewart.  He was a master at it.  Keep the bike low and the gas on.

https://youtu.be/WYytyij1wII

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady
Thoughts and bits on round 1.........

Zach Osborne clinches the overall.   He's been coming on strong, on a National level in the big bikes for the last year or so.  Unlike a lot of Americans, he's done time over in Europe in the 250 class as a younger rider.  Good in most conditions, he's coming on pretty strong.
Tomac, the current Champion some say suffered bad choice on setup in race 1.
Max Anastie, a Euro trying his hand at American MX has a flash of speed but seemed to fade.
Jason Anderson, the guy that seems to just go his own way has a real good day.
Marvin Musquin, the French rider, makes a good showing after coming back from almost a year off due to injury.

They score points for each Moto, unlike in the old days when both motos were averaged out and points
given accordingly.  eh.

The schedule has changed already.
Next week they were supposed to head across the country, to one of the most pristine tracks, but that event has been cancelled.  A bit of controversy there.  Industry seems to be saying it's a gamble driving all that distance, the local health dept could cancel it at any time.  Some fans seem to think the teams just don't want the hassle of that long a trek.   Who knows.

They rescheduled round 2 to take place at the same location, Loretta's.
It's hang around Tennessee for the Motocross crowd this week.
And even that might change in one way or another.
Some who watched the race on TV, (only on Mav), are pointing out, there were not a lot masks or distancing in the crowds, as it was a spectator allowed event.

Highlights here when they go up..

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

Highlights Round 1 guys.

https://youtu.be/IyUWcm-HFzU

Thoughts.........
I wonder, what the difference was between, let's say, the schoolboy class at the top of this thread, and the pros.
Ya, it's good to see them racing again, but it brings home the fact that's an amatuer based track.
Seems most every pro track on the usual schedule has something kinda crazy, wild or defining.
No big elevation changes, no crazy big jump, no deep sand, no grass.
Ya, good to see them running again, but man I wish this year of the virus was just done and over with.

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

So, what happened to Washougal?  Why did did they decide to stay in Tennessee for round 2?

https://racerxonline.com/2020/08/18/what-happened-to-the-washougal-national

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady
A quick view of Loretta's, from a drone, race day, round 2.

https://m.facebook.com/VitalMX/posts/10157439375831301

Drag your finger right to left to see the whole track..

Looks a little wet.

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

https://youtu.be/cKLnziAILnk

I tell you, a lot of people bag on the Zooks.  The yellow bikes.
Only ones without electric start anymore.
But hey, they're still running for the lead at times, and sell for almost half what the rest do.

I wonder if that crossed Tomac mind this weekend.....

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

How in the world do those given see where they are going with 2 pounds of mud splattered on their goggles?

I’m not one of those believers in every body gets a trophy but if you finish those races you should at least get a gold star.

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

How in the world do those given see where they are going with 2 pounds of mud splattered on their goggles?

I’m not one of those believers in every body gets a trophy but if you finish those races you should at least get a gold star.
They have these things called tear offs, clear plastic strips with a tab on one side you grap and tear off when it gets bad.  They are illegal in Europe.  Treehuggers got them banned, pollution.
Usually a rider on a normal day might stack 3 or 4 every time he goes out.
Conditions like that, I've heard up to 10.  Thing is, that many, the mud gets in between them.

Also, there is a system called roll offs. A strip of clear plastic maybe 1 inch wide gets pulled from one roller to another across the goggles. They look like the old film cans on each side of the goggle.

But really, most of the time, it goes back to your roots, riding with your buddies at the sand pits.
The goggles get so screwed up, they just yank them off, keep your head tilted down, blocking what u can with the CYCLEVISOR, and squint lol....

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

Ok Gentlemen.
Round 3.
After 2 rounds on the National Amateur track is back to business on a big boy circuit.

 https://youtu.be/ntFmHu_SsNo

Re: United States of America AMA Pro Motocross 2020 Series

motogrady

Geez.  Round 4, which was held on Friday,
is missed by quite a few, including yours truly.

Round 4.  The iconic Red Bud track. The place with the big jump and fans that act like it’s still the 70s.

 https://youtu.be/dTd4hGsdGc8