Valencia MotoGP 2023

oldironnow
Bagnaia, in 15th, earned a trip through Q1 on Saturday.

Martin is faster. P2

Vinales P1 - new lap record (Lorenzo's)
Martin
Zarco, P3

https://us.motorsport.com/motogp/news/marc-marquez-martin-mind-games-bagnaia-valencia-motogp-practice/10551246/

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

Did you see Tardozzi staring at Martin and shaking his head at him as is if to say naha, don't do it and then block Martin?
I was surprised to see Martin resort to the shadow tactics, not surprised Marquis enjoyed it.
I'm not sure he needed too. Bagnia was struggling with the brakes.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

Vinales gets on pole with the tracks first sub 129 at 128.931.

Martin didn’t fare so well in Q2. He will have to start in 6th place and get around Zarco, Miller and Binder to catch Bagnia in 2nd.

Martin came in with just a few minutes left to switch bikes to run the hard front tire. He hit the green on his first hot lap and then the curb on his last hot lap which blew his time.
Bagnia looks calm and smooth so unless someone tags him I’d have to say he will be champion again.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

The sprint was another great Saturday event. Lots of edge of the seat watching.
Martin came in first in the even though he was carrying extra Michelin rubber on his left shoulder from 93’s front tire. Bagnia came in fifth so the championship rolls into Sunday’s race.

Martin is champion on Sunday if...
Martin is 1st and Bagnaia is lower than 5th
Martin is 2nd and Bagnaia is lower than 10th
Martin is 3rd and Bagnaia is lower than 14th
If it’s a tie then it goes to Bagnia as he has won the most Sunday races. The sprints don’t matter.

For some reason I don’t see Bagnia coming in less than 5th unless he is tagged out.
Going to be a good race.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

motogrady
“If I even hint of hiring Miller again next season, please remind me to NOT. 🤨”

I’ll second that emotion.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

Crash-fest indeed !

With sunstrike blinding the turn-in points, and the cold track disabling the tires’ chemical grip, it was a survival test. A couple of riders were sole-smoking flattracking their boots into the corners to not low-side. And i think Di-Gi’ was riding on his leg in one corner.

It was nuts, all those close calls falling like lightning bolts sll around the contenders. It kept my attention all race-long.

I kept feeling it was ridiculous to push a series into a season that’s not its normal environment, but I reminded myself of the surfing contest phrase - ‘the ocean’s the same for everyone.’

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

“If I even hint of hiring Miller again next season, please remind me to NOT. 🤨”

I’ll second that emotion.

Is Miller even going to grid next year?
I would see him move deeper into the “KTM” line-up, or off the WSBK, or just enjoy life.
An interview this year, suggested he and his wife are ready to live a normal existence.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

...An interview this year, suggested he and his wife are ready to live a normal existence.
I am ready for him to live a normal existence too 😡
😀😀

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

I kept feeling it was ridiculous to push a series into a season that’s not its normal environment, but I reminded myself of the surfing contest phrase - ‘the ocean’s the same for everyone.’
Jack Miller's comments.
“I pushed so hard, we’ve been working our arses off, not only the last couple of weeks, all year … it could have been a really sweet way to end it. But it wasn’t to be. It cooled down this afternoon, lap by lap you could feel it cooling down. It’s 3 o’clock we started the race, it’s nearly f**king dark out there already. We’re racing the last weekend of November. But I’m not going to blame that, it was the same conditions for everybody. (Ducati’s) Pecco (Bagnaia) managed to stay on the bike and win the race and win the championship. He’s been able to do that the majority of the year.

I like the fact that we get to watch racing so late in the year but it is sure is rough on the riders. Someone could get seriously hurt. With more and more races getting added, no complaints from me, I have to think why not put them a little closer together or cut down on the summer break some. Seems silly to take a summer break when they have the whole winter off.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

oldironnow
nascar seems to take a two-week break in June.

There could be room to tighten the August break for MotoGP, but Dorna could end-up with a labor action over that.

But, everything is bargain-able.

(Sub-post: I looked into what the hell, and how the hell, nascar runs their playoff scheme..... man, whatta nightmare of hype-crud, imo.)

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

If they keep extending the season further into late fall we need to consider ice racing spikes for those Michelins, or the next development of aero will include strategically-aimed heat lamps for the tires.

Ha!
More ideas !
Velcro-track !

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

nascar seems to take a two-week break in June.

There could be room to tighten the August break for MotoGP, but Dorna could end-up with a labor action over that.

But, everything is bargain-able.

(Sub-post: I looked into what the hell, and how the hell, nascar runs their playoff scheme..... man, whatta nightmare of hype-crud, imo.)
I think NASCAR has a break, kinda like Motogp does.
About half way thru.
But, the big thing, from what I understand is there is some kind of reset in the points.
I think they take the top 10 in points at a certain time,
maybe the half way thru the season, and it’s only them that
are eligible for the championship.
I dunno if they, the top 10, all start from zero.

I believe it’s all about keeping one guy from clinching the Championship early on, and the interest from the fans high.

Re: Valencia MotoGP 2023

If they keep extending the season further into late fall we need to consider ice racing spikes for those Michelins, or the next development of aero will include strategically-aimed heat lamps for the tires.
Heated grips maybe?