Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

I never knew this about Kawasaki.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qYybJuNgE5s?si=th4SoGLw0cI36aoj

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

oldironnow
Which can make it frustrating to bump start a recalcitrant Ninja 250.

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

Good point. I never thought about that.

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

m143
Donna's W650 works like that.

It gets confusing on different bikes for her.

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

Which can make it frustrating to bump start a recalcitrant Ninja 250.
Just curious, when bump starting do you have to go to first then shift up to second?

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

oldironnow
The sick Ninja I have would like to be bumped in second or third.
It really would like to get a good run at it and then a long to push to wake up it’s large open stack carbs.
In first gear, it just slides the rear wheel.

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

Dang, first gear start. That’s pretty good. I don’t think I’ve ever been able to start one in first. The back tire always skids to a stop.
I’ve been fortunate though.  There’s always been a hill on hand.

There was one time, it wasn’t me but on my way home from the 1992 Daytona bike week there was some guy on an old 70’s FLH bagger at a gas stop whose battery was dead and there ain’t no hills in Florida so he and I pushed it across the parking lot. He was pushing with the bars. I was pushing on the fender. He jumped on it side saddle, jammed it into 2nd, cranked the throttle to feed the beast, it fired and took off as I went tumbling across the lot as the bike disappeared from my hands that had all my weight and might pushing it.
I’m sure I looked like a black t-shirt wearing Rollie-pollie rolling around on the pavement.
I got a standing ovation from a couple gas pumpers.

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

oldironnow
Two great stories ^ ! The Bastards!

How was Daytona 1992 ???

Re: Why Kawasaki Shifts Better

Which can make it frustrating to bump start a recalcitrant Ninja 250.
Exactly! And why other oem got rid of it