Winter Solstice 2021

It's Winter Solstice

at our calm little Cyclevisor pond just off the busy highway of life,
off in the weeds, beyond the verge and behind the pines,
with a willow along the far edge...

It's a perfect place to surreptitiously push the motorcycle and set up a night's camp. Somewhere between James Bronson and Motorized Thoreau.

Here's to all of us riding - literally and figuratively - this year's sunlight-march towards summer.

I hope with every day, there's more light and more joy and more happiness in all of our changed lives.

There's also the Great Conjunction this evening in the hour after sunset. A meeting this close between Jupiter and Saturn last happened in 1226.

Check it out, and then check in each night to watch them slide apart.
I've been watching them approach each other since spring, and it's been fun to force the mind to feel the scale of true distance between them.

They are roughly (actually, grossly) 500 million miles apart, and the math I did in summer suggest Jupiter was 1900 times the distance from the earth to the Moon, and Saturn was 3800 times that same cosmic spark plug gap.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/jupiter-and-saturns-great-conjunction-is-the-best-in-800-years-heres-how-to-see-it/

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

hacksaw
thank you both!
this is a real event. what i mean is its beyond the calendar manipulations of men.
actually its the solstice that manipulated men for thousands of years.
the beginning of the lengthening  days fills me with hope. and boy i need it!
the ancients knew, and most modern men have forgot.

cool about the planets too. i dont beleive all that much in off the shelf astrology, i do certainly believe in the
alignment  of the planets and the solar system and beyond, as it shaped life on earth. and that it continues to do so.

happy solstice!

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

A joyous Solstice to you all. May the sun shine on you longer than the day before and your tires remain the shape of that sun.

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

oldironnow
Solstice -
Again we turn out of the darkness with patient hope for a return to the summers we have known.

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

motogrady

Hey guys.  10 weeks.  March is here.

Yeah Baby!

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

hacksaw
It’s a great day! Much reverence here.
Thank you for this thread

Re: Winter Solstice 2021

I can't wait for light until 8:30 again.,,,,

But there is a stark beauty to the light in winter that I would not want to miss.,,,,,

 Best Wishes to our Buddy, Allred. May each day of light bring you back further to health.
Agree, Agree and whole heartedly concur.