here ya go fatfatboy

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

hacksaw wrote
with almost no backseat?
The seat is usually the first thing that goes on my Harley’s. Replaced with a Mustang seat.
Harley seats are usually done by 20,000 miles.
The Ultra Glide I had made it to 30,000 before it was time but i traded it in before needing to swap it out.
Harley seats suck.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

hacksaw wrote
actually i really like it except for the fairing .
what's the price vs a miata?
About the same if you do the convertible. The Miata Club is $4-5K more.
The RG3 MSRP is $32k for basic black. Out the door I'm sure it's hitting $35K
MX-5  is advertised at $32,900.00

I owned a Miata for a couple years. Fun little car but not the same as knees in the breeze. Plus they are a climb out and not a climb off.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

monkeyshines wrote
Funny that. The girlfriend bought a freewheeler last year and we’ve been using it for two-up. Because it’s her new trike and she wants to use it so…
It goes against my every motorcycle riding fiber, but turns out, the thing’s a farging hoot. Much harder to master than a two wheeler imo. Harsh rear suspension. The front doesn’t self center, constant micro steering input….you steer it, counter-steer has the opposite effect. you get a workout. First time on it we went on the (busy)freeway. Don’t do that. Non riding public love the things.

I think a two wheeler is a better long distance mount, the RG fairing seems aimed at urban riding, boom stereo and all in the ads. Personally I’d like the windshield gone off this one. And the fenders, and….  Thought I saw 32 grand?

Is hers the twin cam or the new M8?
I drove/rode the freewheeler when it first came out. It is a hoot. Way more fun than I expected.
It was just a short demo ride. I'd like to spend a couple days with one to know the real deal.

I do prefer the two wheel life but health dictates differently. If there was a way to reverse calcification of the arteries I wouldn't be looking at trikes for at least another 10 years or more.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

good points.
i wouldn't pay 30g for either of them. but used? maybe.
i haven't given up actually riding as of yet.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

yeah. crazy , but i have usually went to mustang myself. sportsters i have gone with corbin and my go to seat is a recovered lepera solo
dont know why harley cant build a decent longer term seat

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

monkeyshines

Is hers the twin cam or the new M8?
I drove/rode the freewheeler when it first came out. It is a hoot. Way more fun than I expected.
It was just a short demo ride. I'd like to spend a couple days with one to know the real deal.

I do prefer the two wheel life but health dictates differently. If there was a way to reverse calcification of the arteries I wouldn't be looking at trikes for at least another 10 years or more.

It’s a twin cam, bought slightly used from an HD dealer in Illinois. I think she paid $22
IMO it’s much cooler than the big triglide. Came with a passenger backrest that clicks into mounting holes in the rear. Rear suspension is harsh, not sure if that’s an issue for you, three wheels find most potholes. Highway pegs are on the shopping list to get the leg up away from the heat in slow/stopped traffic.
I’d like to try out the new version, girlfriend says the fairing is ugly.
U Turns and quick tight parking lot maneuvers are a whole new sport!

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

monkeyshines
I guess cutting the cat out of the exhaust helps greatly with heat. I think true of any new HDs really.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

I’ve been watching for a twin cam freewheeler. A 2016 black one showed up on market place and sat for a bit. When I sold my Road Glide I contacted them. They sold it that morning. Just wasn’t meant to be I guess.

The pothole thing is a concern but I guess that is just part of the life of the third wheel.
Several of my aging friends have gone to the tri-glide and love them but like you I like the freewheeler better.
Harley touring suspensions are always a bit on the hard side. Cheap shocks and shallow travel.
The new Softail actually rides smoother than the touring bikes IMO.

I put Ohlins on the back of my RG. That help majorly.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

monkeyshines
I’ve been watching for a twin cam freewheeler. A 2016 black one showed up on market place and sat for a bit. When I sold my Road Glide I contacted them. They sold it that morning. Just wasn’t meant to be I guess.

The pothole thing is a concern but I guess that is just part of the life of the third wheel.
Several of my aging friends have gone to the tri-glide and love them but like you I like the freewheeler better.
Harley touring suspensions are always a bit on the hard side. Cheap shocks and shallow travel.
The new Softail actually rides smoother than the touring bikes IMO.

I put Ohlins on the back of my RG. That help majorly.
This one is a 2016 I think, black quartz?, looks blackish with a fine metallic.
It’s at its best on country roads, isn’t everything? I started out disliking it just because but the little stinker won me over. I’m glad she vetoed my early suggestion to trade it for a two up bike, it really is pretty cool.

One plus I can see to the new freewheeler(RoadGlide3?)fairing is that the small barn door screen that came on this one blunts the wind but it’s not exactly smooth air at speed whereas Harley’s current frame mount fairings work really well.

Edit, I’m told her trike is a 2014.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

Thank for the heads up on the back roads info.
I would need something that still takes the slab well for those times we have to B line it home.

I just got spoiled by the Road Glide. Best highway bike I’ve ever owned. Just needed to be narrower. The Victory Vision is a close 2nd. Damn Polaris for shutting the doors.
The Vision gave me better feet on the ground but the final product was just a couple clicks down from the Road Glide.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

hacksaw
Interesting.
Not for me though.
Road glide type stuff isn’t motorcycling to me.
I mean I understand being comfy and all that.
But that’s why ford made the LTD.
Freewheeler has an appeal. But if it isn’t stable it’s way too much money just to bomb around an afternoon now and then . I think the T bucket would be better.
An old 45 trike would be fun .
But is any of this really motorcycling? I tend to think not.

But what do u I know . As it seems, I don’t know much .
Nearing what could be the end of my riding at some point  , I whist nostalgic for regular old motorcycles.
Not these barges or plastic electric crap being peddled these days , no cat converters or computer braking or fly by wire BS. I would have more fun powered by Briggs & Stratton than a Milwaukee 8 .
I don’t think I will live to see a Vision featured in Motorcycle Classics Magazine. If I did I would cancel !
Lol.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

monkeyshines

Was doing a farcebook marketplace search for a seat and other stuff for the girlfriend’s trike and this popped up. No affiliation just know they sell a shiton of used Harley’s around here.
The side shot shows a couple things, one it sits a bit squat in the back, moreso with two people. Owners are fitting fourteen inch shocks(2inch over)with longer mounting brackets, supposed to put more weight on the front wheel for better handling and more travel in the rear seems a no brained.
Second thing the pic shows is how the front of the gas tank stock is mashed down onto the heads, there’s a one inch tank lift that let’s more air flow over the heads, supposed to run and ride cooler. Same with the two wheelers.

Fatfatboy wrote
Thank for the heads up on the back roads info.
I would need something that still takes the slab well for those times we have to B line it home.

I just got spoiled by the Road Glide. Best highway bike I’ve ever owned. Just needed to be narrower. The Victory Vision is a close 2nd. Damn Polaris for shutting the doors.
The Vision gave me better feet on the ground but the final product was just a couple clicks down from the Road Glide.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

monkeyshines
Also notice the sucky passenger seat.
Other than a place for highway pegs I don’t see the point of crash bars. Checking into some that come off the front floorboard mount. Also spacing the floorboards out is supposed to help with heat quite a bit. I’ve not owned an Harley newer than evo, are twin cams generally hot engines?

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

Yes, the twin cams run hot. The bigger, the hotter.
I’ve owned one 88ci which is the fatboy, two 96ci, three 103ci and I currently have a 110.
The 88 runs cooler than all of them except a 96ci that was in a carbureted hardtail chopper.

The issue on softails is the oil tank is right under the seat. The oil can run up to 250 degrees and the heat from the oil tank can cook my thighs.
That’s one good thing about the dressers and dynas. The oil is down low.
The bad thing about the dressers, for me anyways, is the primary clutch hump is right in line where my feet go so my calf gets cooked when I have to put my foot down.

The 110 on my CVO Deluxe runs so hot on the right side that I will put my foot my right foot up on the crash bar to get some airflow.

I think the bike I felt the least amount of heat was the 08 Dyna. No heat under my butt from an oil bag and it wasn’t as wide as the dressers so my calf didn’t cook.

The post 06 twin cams are reliable motors which is one reason I’ve been looking at the TC driven trikes. Plus they are typically $10k less than the M8 trikes.

I saw that Freewheeler in your post for sale in my search on the Freewheeler. I like the color.
Yes the stock seat sucks for the passenger and I can’t figure out the pegless crash bar. I bet there was some highway pegs on it when it was traded in or the person that traded in the bike took them for their new bike.

I like the look of the floorboard mounted ones better but I usually can’t reach them.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

hacksaw wrote
 , I whist nostalgic for regular old motorcycles.
I get it. There is something about a plain-ol’ motor and two wheels. That’s why the Sportster last so long.
But a Sportster and two up with a backpack riding across Kansas is not the comfort we have been accustomed too.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

my 03 fatboy never ran hot. maybe because of s&s intake/exhaust.
my 08 dyna didn't run hot either. closed loop efi idled a bit high to my ear. but hot? no.
my 03 police glide didn't run hot either.

now who in their right mind would ride across kansas? on anything?
besides Quantril.and that was a horse.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

Run that Fatboy on the slab at 80 mph for a couple hours  and you’ll feel the hot oil on your under thigh.
All my Softails have done it.
Not sure if my Evo ones will. I’ve not ran them on the slab.

I don’t remember having heat issues either on my 08 dyna.
I miss that bike. It was set up right and was fast.
At the time I didn’t have room for multiple bikes so i traded it in on a dresser.

I’ve been looking at dyna’s. I’d like to have a Super Glide or a Low Rider.

Re: here ya go fatfatboy

hacksaw
Sorry. I just never had that issue.
Do you run the stock  seat? Maybe that pseudo western look with the concho blocks the heat . But my evo fatboy had an aftermarket seat and I ran the piss out of that bike and don’t recall any out of the normal heat .
Maybe by legs rest on the floorboards different than yours. I mean I believe you . I just haven’t had that issue