AFT. Can success be bad?

motogrady

When World Superbike announced a few years ago they were gonna try and even the field to help the sport, they lost me.

Apparently the success of Kawasaki, which was killing all comers, for years, was hurting their series.
So, The Officials decided on a plan.
The plan was to give them the right to detune, by decreasing the rpm, using a bikes software, any bike in the series they deemed as too strong.

On a week to week basis if they deemed it nescessary.

The haves at the time, mainly Rea and the Green bikes, were pissed.
They were old school.  The hard work by the teams in the off season in building the bikes,
the engineering and design at the factory, the training and talent of their riders, won the majority of events and Championships.

They deserved to win.

So, when Big Red and the few other teams were given the ability to run bikes at higher rpms, hey, they did not complain.  Even tho this edge was created by some computer tech
kind of nerd, and an official at World Superbike, what's the harm?
It's better for the sport.  It's for close racing. It's a good thing.

And maybe it is.  But for some reason, this way of doing it, makes one uneasy.

One can say, why work so hard?

If a group of guys innovate, build and execute better than the rest, and are rewarded with what basically is a penalty, why bother?

One wonders, what will The Gods at AMA Pro Racing do this time around.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2022/02/article/state-of-american-flat-track/

Re: AFT. Can success be bad?

Re: AFT. Can success be bad?

motogrady
I'm with you on that mad4.  Like Motogp.

I think the answer is kind of simple.

I don't know what the numbers are to qualify a bike for AMA Pro.
200, 400, from what I understand, have to be manufactured and available to the public.
Something like that.

I know they even stretch that in Motocross.  A few years ago KTM had a special Ryan Dungy edition.  I think they had to make 400 of them to be able to race it.
Well, there was some kind of loophole, in reality they had to have 400 of them in the pipe line. The top pros got them before the season, a few dealers got them for their guys, but by the time all 400 were made and delivered to the States the series was half over.

That's not in the spirit of class c.  A lot of average guys had no access to that bike.

From what I gather, in ATF, is Indian has created a specalized bike that's really only good for racing.  Nobody else, Kawasaki, HD, Honda want to invest that kind of coin and effort to make that small a run of bikes.

Why not just increase the number of bikes needed to qualify for class c to say, 1,000.
Or 2,000.  Make it cost prohibitive to produce a run of wolves in sheeps clothing.

Then, it goes back to guys buying a production based bike, reworking it into a racer,
and mixing it up.   Sure, there will always be the factories, and rich guys that will lavish their stuff with every aftermarket item out there.

But the starting point, the foundation of everything out there, will be a bike everyone, you and I, can acquire and ride.  And root for it from the stands.

Ain't that what it's about?

Re: AFT. Can success be bad?

They deserved to win.
Yes,, but doesn't everyone deserve a trophy?

It is a double edge sword. Let one team win it all and it gets boring and the stands will go empty, or streaming sales down nowadays. Force even competition and it can force the true champions to take their toys and go home.
I'm glad I don't have to make those rules or face the guy that was just told to hold the throttle back.

I'm glad I don't have to make those rules or face the guy that was just told to hold the throttle back.
Hey, I enter, I want a ribbon at least!

Re: AFT. Can success be bad?

oh. i thought the thread was about ATF!
some bikes do use it.
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.