And so it starts.

Harley is moving production of the Pan-Am, Sportster S and Nightster to Thailand.
They claim it is for the 2025 year only and to help production of the trikes, softails and touring line.
I call BS.
Why just one year?
Will the 2025 bikes sell for cost less?
Will they sit on the showroom floor unsold?
Do the folks that buy these bikes even care where it’s made?

https://www.tmj4.com/news/waukesha-county/workers-pretty-nervous-after-harley-davidson-moves-work-from-wisconsin-to-thailand#:~:text=Harley%2DDavidson%20says%20it%20moving,their%20jobs%20will%20go%20too.&text=Harley%2DDavidson%20plant%20in%20Menomonee,many%2C%E2%80%9D%20said%20the%20worker.

I had a feeling that the Overseas production Harley’s for overseas sales would come to this.

Re: And so it starts.

motogrady

Ffs that sucks.

They elect some guy from Germany or something to run the place.

They’re pissing people off with the woke crap they’re embracing.

And now they ship off even more American jobs.

Are the blind or just stupid?

Re: And so it starts.

Not good and very strange, but also unstrange.

They sell really expensive toys, and though the worldwide luxury goods market has been on a tear for a long time (hence all the limited editions specials, be they just paint-and-tape or all the up-rated tech possible), huge motorcycles are not for everyone.

They either have to increase sales or lower costs.

I still remember, 20 years ago, when the Japanese started off-shoring production into China, asking the CW forum if they would buy a fully Chinese HD if it was half the price, and one member said it would never happen. Knowing peoples’ habits, that ‘never’ stuck with me all these years.
Well, Thailand is the somewhat more palatable version of that country of origin.
The moment has kind of arrived.

IMO, The issue with the one-off, one-year production move can only be temporary if it’s an effort to get the US/EU tariff situation officially settled.
As best I can tell, the 2018 tariffs over aluminum/steel and US bikes is still on, but under suspension.
Maybe they want clarity.
But the move is quite ballsy, with labor implications, that it feels like a permanent act looking for an excuse.

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/import-taxes-on-us-motorcycles-yet/
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: And so it starts.

Krhguzzi
  It is worse than you described, the CEO was not elected, he was hired by the Board of Directors who are in agreement with his policies. Most of the Board are members of the World Economic Forum and not members of any other organization that has anything to do with motorcycles.

Re: And so it starts.

oldironnow
That’s how boards work.
Board members vote on who they want to run the company, and we vote with our wallet.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: And so it starts.

motogrady
Where have you gone?
Willie Davidson
A nation turns its lonely eyes to  you
Woo woo woo,
Woo woo hoo

What’s that you say, Mrs. Robinson?
Willie G has left and gone away
Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey

Re: And so it starts.

oldironnow
Well done ^

Is it too far-fetched to say 'never give your heart to a company that has a board and is publicly traded"?

I would say it is not.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: And so it starts.

motogrady

Howard Roark is turning over in his grave.

Re: And so it starts.

That’s how boards work.
Board members vote on who they want to run the company, and we vote with our wallet.
Correct.
I know I don’t need to say it but I’ve been a fan of the MOCO since I knew what a motorcycle was. Even as a kid my dream was to own a Harley Davidson.
Even when I was running around on my KDX 80 and Yamaha YT175 I lusted over the HD sprints that were out of my reach.
I guess it’s good that I have a stable full of American made HD’s. At 57 y.o. they should last me until I am no longer able to ride.
My latest acquisition of the Low Rider would be my only concern of lasting. With all its electrical gizmos it would probably be the first one to call it craps and not be able to get parts for.

They say it’s to make more room for manufacturing their core bikes. I call BS. Sales on HD’s are down. Why do they need more room?
I was in the dealership last week. The salesman told me that they are hurting. Interest rates are higher than what people got used to. It’s an election year. It’s always slow at election time.
We’ve been in business over 30 years and every four years we see a slow down in construction. Add the higher rates and big projects are far and in between. Mostly additions and rehab keeping our guys busy right now.

I personally think they are doing a test to see if the younger demographic folks, that are the typical buyers of the new sportster, will still purchase an imported American tradition.
As for the Pan-am lots of those riders are coming from an import already.
I hope this test fails miserably.
I’m curious if the prices drop are if they maintain the same MSRP.

Re: And so it starts.

That’s how boards work.
Board members vote on who they want to run the company, and we vote with our wallet.
Correct.
I know I don’t need to say it but I’ve been a fan of the MOCO since I knew what a motorcycle was. Even as a kid my dream was to own a Harley Davidson.

I personally think they are doing a test to see if the younger demographic folks, that are the typical buyers of the new sportster, will still purchase an imported American tradition.
As for the Pan-am lots of those riders are coming from an import already.
I hope this test fails miserably.
I’m curious if the prices drop are if they maintain the same MSRP.
Good analysis.
Good question.

As i always say - Let them directly know your thoughts on the matter.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: And so it starts.

Thanks for the push. I found a spot on their website that I can give them my .02’s worth.
I’ll do it from my computer though.

I just saw this.
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/livingston-county-man-awarded-287m-in-lawsuit-against-harley-davidson/amp/

A man was awarded $287,000,000.00 because of a faulty traction control on a trike. It happened to him twice. The second time his partner was killed.
$287 million is a ton of jack to come up with.
How do they come up with these numbers?
Crazy.

Re: And so it starts.

Thanks for the push. I found a spot on their website that I can give them my .02’s worth.
I’ll do it from my computer though.

I just saw this.
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/livingston-county-man-awarded-287m-in-lawsuit-against-harley-davidson/amp/

A man was awarded $287,000,000.00 because of a faulty traction control on a trike. It happened to him twice. The second time his partner was killed.
$287 million is a ton of jack to come up with.
How do they come up with these numbers?
Crazy.
I think in a plane crash they add up how much a person
was estimated to make in the rest of his or hers average lifetime.  For starters.
But pain and suffering, loss of companionship, one would think is somehow priced and added on.
And I’ve heard there is a thing called punitive damages.
A charge/award added just to teach the defendant a lesson, a sort of message by the court that says hey, don’t let it happen again.  How that is priced ya, I’d like to know that myself.

Re: And so it starts.

Re: And so it starts.

Thanks Walter. I got to use that to send them my options on foreign made HD’s and this woke nonsense.
Much appreciated

Re: And so it starts.

m143
You're welcome.

Re: And so it starts.

whatarush
Wow!!! So I guess they should change the name to Pan Thailand

Re: And so it starts.

Perfect name.

Re: And so it starts.

I sent an email to that media email and got an automated response that basically said it was for journalists searching for media so I did some poking around and got the CEO’s email address so if anyone is interested here it is.

jochen.zeitz@harley-davidson.com

Re: And so it starts.

motogrady

Thank you very much.

Kinda wondering how to word how I feel, without coming across as some undesirable from West Virginia.  🤔

Re: And so it starts.

whatarush wrote
Wow!!! So I guess they should change the name to Pan Thailand
Nice one.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.
12