Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

1234 ... 7

Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

oldironnow
Ratana is likely ready to go; just gotta pack.

But the forecast for night temps along the way is down to 30.
From Tucson to Fort Stockton its over 4000 feet in elevation.
That's a 12 degree loss for sea level temps just on air pressure.
I don't have camping gear for that.

I've been revitalizing an old Tacoma that's been lounging, and I might get it going, and it might make it.

One way, or another, hope to see you there.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

Sorry buddy, wife and I were making plans to go but the knee infection/surgery has squelched any and all plans for at least the next couple months.
I was going to rent a sprinter van to a haul my dialysis machine, supplies and FXLRst

Have fun.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

Sorry buddy, wife and I were making plans to go but the knee infection/surgery has squelched any and all plans for at least the next couple months.
I was going to rent a sprinter van to a haul my dialysis machine, supplies and FXLRst

Have fun.
That's a bummer to miss a chance to hang out.
But getting back in full fettle is worth the delay.
Here's to Daytona 2025.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

oldironnow

😬 seems to have passed its test ride

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

motogrady

First time I’ve ever seen bags up front like that.

Who makes them? Where did you get them ?

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

hacksaw
Not very attractive.
They must be rear bags attached to the front.
With these bags and the plastic fairing , I hope the bike is air or water cooled.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

motogrady

Nothing much different than a lot of ADV bikes.
Kinda cool really.
It’s out of the box thinking, which I admire.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

On my way.
The Tacoma turned out to have an exhaust leak.
Came back and tossed everything on to Ratana.
Left just as hail came a raining down.
Played with the rain until summiting the Grapevine.
But old-man cold all day, and wind unbelievable! Glad i didn’t get taken out by a tumbleweed !
Skirted LA via Antelope Valley and split my way through commute traffic on 10.
Chuckwalla Raceway is letting me sack out in a storage lot.
Under the stars on a cot.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

 Battle Bike to Freedom.

You have no idea how envious I am. All though, I'm not real envious of the cold and hail part. I don't ATGATT well enough for that protection. It just beats me in the face. And it hurts.

I'll be looking for you on the screen as I sit on the couch this weekend.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

And this is what it looks like when your on your feet.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

First time I’ve ever seen bags up front like that.

Who makes them? Where did you get them ?
Nelson rigg.
Yes, screw to bead board zip-tied to the frame.
It’s working, and I worry about engine cooling air, but it’s still cool right now.
They also function as lowers.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

I’ll be in General Admission !

Okay.
After last night’s ‘everything is warm and still’ post, weather-hell broke loose.
The massive wind and cold I rode through showed up and stayed all night.

That casual campsite was blowing away, and i had to catch the disappearing bits and tuck them in the tongue area of a utility trailer, eventually getting Ratana over there before it fell over.
No cover. No tent. Temp plummeted. Adding layers all night. Phone said it was 42 at 06:15 when i decided to shiver standing up.
Found the track showers.
Warmed up.
Had a 30 minute talk with the old man of the track. Vern.
Turns out the entire valley was Patton’s training ground and my dad’s dad trained here. Turns out he’s done a lot of stuff. Wish I got his photo.

The day went well.
480 miles.
In Lordsburg NM behind a giant mound of ground-up asphalt.
The tent is up.
Again, so incredibly windy today.
Hanging off through the middle of AZ.
Cars giving me room.
Turns out I’m riding through the same clear-air storm everyday.
Here comes tonight’s storm.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

Oldiron goin’ Hard Core!

I love it.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

oldironnow
Literally nearly died of exposure this morning.
The wind battered most of the night.
Then it stopped and then cane back before sunrise as the temp dropped to 30.
Decided to move or die at 4:45.
Packed by six.
120 miles in the 30s.
Beyond pain.
Finally learned to both work the throttle and steer with the left hand while warming the right on the clutch cover.
Truck stop shower in Las Cruces, NM, to revitalize.
El Paso, Van Horn, Ft. Stockton… the day warmed slowly.
Monotonous Texas desert.
Eventually it gets hot enough that the front bags are blasting my thighs with heat. Though the Buell frame sides have actually burned me before.
Run out of my own steam at Ozona, TX, a few hours short of my goal (Camp Wood).
The Sunoco station attendant says I can sleep here.
510 miles.

Re: Attempting To Reach Eclipse/COTA

oldironnow
Early evening tent.