COTA 2023

oldironnow
It looks like MotoAmerica will not be running at the MotoGP event next week.

After breezing through a transcribed podcast with MotoAm's Chuck Aksland, it seems the yearly MotoGP chest thumping about whether or not they will return to COTA (or any track, for that matter) was getting in the way squaring away MotoAM's schedule and contracts for the coming year.

So MotoAm is going its own way.

COTA and Barber are shuffling their traditional dates, and VIR did not make the cut this year. Mother's Day was the offered date, and MotoAM said they felt it would be a loss, since the sense is people want to hang at home with Mom.

They were always treated well at COTA, and enjoyed hooking up with the World Circus for various reasons, but now they will sow and reap their own crop with stand-alone events.

And now they'll get access to the garages, get to keep their trackside tents and gear on the wall (instead of having to carry them back and forth), and have the entire MotoAM tribe at COTA in September.

https://www.motoamerica.com/the-hows-and-whys-of-the-2023-motoamerica-calendar/

Re: COTA 2023

Motoamerica and MotoGP the same weekend would be a great way to spend the weekend. Racing overload.
I think the logistics of breaking down and putting Motoamerica back up between MotoGP events would be an Exederin popping weekend.

I just read that 99 won't be racing this weekend. An MRI showed his hand is not race ready.

Re: COTA 2023

Good link.
Lots of good info on there.
Wish I had the patience for more of those podcasts.

One guys take on the podcast……

1.  Seems awful late to be changing the schedules for this year.

2.  There are getting to be so many classes in MotoAmerica it’s becoming hard to keep track.
I mean, who is the fastest guy on the fastest bike, in America?

3.  Why Daytona is not included in the USA’s
Series is not only a shame, it’s just stupid.

4. If Summit Point or the owners don’t like bikes, f$&k em
don’t run there.

5.  The formula that beat out bikes at VIR is something promoters need to look at.  It seems that when they banned overnight camping at AMA Motocross Nationals, something was lost. I’m not saying there needs to be a rock concert at every race, but the “get them in and out on Saturday” diminishes the event.
This is the event that VIR chose over MotoA

https://www.hyper-fest.com/

6.  It’s funny.  In the land of MotoGp, Europe that is, DORNA
is looking at sucking up to F1 to increase the gate,
while promoters over there are calling and making inquiries about the USAs Bagger Series.

7.  It’s stupid not to include Daytona as a points paying AMA event.  Did I already say that?

8. The idea to have more rounds long enough to require pit stops is a good idea.

9. I can’t believe I’m saying this……but if there could be any way to run the bikes with the NASCAR guys once a year, on the same track, on the same day, I dunno.  Just think about it.

10.  Turning The AMA into a towing service
has hurt the sport.

Re: COTA 2023

oldironnow
Can you put all that ^ in a letter to Roadracing World?

Dead on and well said.

Hyperfest...  cars give me a headache right in my eye.... It's Roland Sands Hooligans activities in lawyer-happy steel cages.

Re: COTA 2023

The riders are not happy with the tarmac. They say that turns 11 & 12 are disastrous and the track has four different types of asphalt because of the patching.
COTA is going to have to do something if they want to keep MOTOGP on the books.

Re: COTA 2023

oldironnow
Four different types !

That reminds me of a caffeinated version of the old Superbikers races.

Indy! Indy! Indy!

Re: COTA 2023

Re: COTA 2023

WOW! What a crash feast this was! 8 fallers.
Lots of top riders chewing the tarmac.
Pecco, again, out without knowing why giving Quartararo a taste of the podium once again.

Sounds like it was the high tire pressure that got several of the riders.

Re: COTA 2023

WOW! What a crash feast this was! 8 fallers.
Lots of top riders chewing the tarmac.
Pecco, again, out without knowing why giving Quartararo a taste of the podium once again.

Sounds like it was the high tire pressure that got several of the riders.
I was thinking about that.
I think it’s the first 4 rounds they aren’t enforcing anything.
Kinda wondering if they are able to keep the pressures with
in the manufacture spec.

I wonder, I’ve heard nitrogen doesn’t fluctuate pressure wise with temp like air does.  No moisture.
They gotta be using nitrogen one would think.

Re: COTA 2023

 I would think they would be using nitrogen but I've not been able to find proof of such.
I see why the new minimum tire pressure rule is so un-liked by the riders.

When this rule came out some riders spoke against it because of safety concerns. Now I see why.
To make sure they don't get a long lap penalty they are keeping the minimum tire pressure which in one riders tire may be fine but in a heavier rider this could be a penalty in itself because his extra weight could cause the tire pressure to increase too much in hard breaking and when slipstreaming.

It will be interesting to see if this was specific to COTA's rough track or if this will continue to be an issue through the season.

Re: COTA 2023

oldironnow
Moto3 … superlative.

No other data should be supplied. And the helicopter shots really accentuated the racing beauty of the course.

MotoGP … so much success. So much fail.
Supports splitting everywhere.