Dullness

I was in the H-D dealer yesterday and couldn't help but notice that the show room was a sea of bikes with dull uninteresting paint.

This was the front row. The back row had used bikes with some color.

Harley has always been to me the bike with the finishes that stood out. Always mile deep blues, reds and orange but the new bikes just don't seem to have this. There is a few bikes that have some color, note the Road Glide in red. Kind of reminds me of a fishing bobber floating in the Mississippi.

In thinking on this I realized that Harley is not the only company with this lack of luster. Lot's of car manufacturers are doing the same thing. I'm noticing several cars by different manufactures with the same clear coated primer color along with other dull looking paint. Not really matte finish just dull colors.
I know if I'm going to spend $20g's+ on a vehicle I want some glitz. Something that pops.

Heck even the famed Mcdonalds hamburger joints have joined into this.
They are tearing down the old stores with the bright red, yellow and white schemes with the sloped over hangs and building the new stores shaped like a box with a flat roof with browns and mud looking paint.
They've ditched the whole happy clown thing. My daughter says they went from being a happy child to a depressed adult.

What gives?

Re: Dullness

motogrady

I noticed with the new cars.

Slate gray is the hot color it seems. šŸ§

Re: Dullness

oldironnow
I feel Toyota started this a few years back.

Sixth HD back in the photo seems to have the same Toyota grey...

Re: Dullness

Re: Dullness

I noticed with the new cars.

Slate gray is the hot color it seems. šŸ§
I call it wet concrete.
Blends in real well.

Re: Dullness

"What gives?"

Could it be that HD is targeting subdued colors they think will have the broadest acceptance, if not appeal?
I think you may be on to something. Sell them all in neutral colors to have less rejection.
The hard candy and sparkly paints that Harley used just a few years ago could of been obtrusive to some so they were stuck with just vivid black.

I personally like some color. Never been much a fan of the drab.
I just hope pastelā€™s donā€™t come back.

Re: Dullness

hacksaw
they are ugly anyway.
some colors can make a certain body style look even better.
black and chrome normally works.

and i do agree 20k+++ for a freaking dresser in grey? buy the toyota.