Hey, Ducati!

Re: Hey, Ducati!

hacksaw
Fk'em!

bring back the ducati retro sport.
or at least give us a 350 single dual purpose bike.
the rest is all elite crap. time for some people motorcycles. eh?

Re: Hey, Ducati!

Hey, Ducati, listen up!

 Put that motor into an updated, modern version of the ST4, and sell it in a version that starts at <$20k MSRP.
"Would you like aero wings with that, Sir?"

Re: Hey, Ducati!

oldironnow
Yes to Mr. Mads request for an easy-to-own L-Twin !

Huzzah, my good man !

If Harley can build an OHC VVT H2O ADV, then nearly as venerable Ducati can move on from Desmo.

How many thoughtful riders have NOT bought Ducati for the service costs ?

How many unthoughtful riders have sold their Ducati after the first service ?

Does Ducati consider a doubling of sales as unmanageable without major capital outlays ?

Will the dealerships survive without the valve adjustment service fees?

Will MSRP increase to replace that gap upfront ?

Re: Hey, Ducati!

hacksaw
huh???? like in what?

Re: Hey, Ducati!

Re: Hey, Ducati!

hacksaw
and stupid.

Re: Hey, Ducati!

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
and stupid.
It's not the mechanical necessity that it was in the last century.

It hinders sales.

For me and others, one of the top points in buying HD was I didn't have to adjust the valves even a little.

Sticking with something that hurts is just flagellation.

Re: Hey, Ducati!

Re: Hey, Ducati!

"...

Second best option to self-adjusting is an engine with really long intervals like Ducati's "Granturismo" non-desmo v4. Third best is with and engine so easy to work on that DIY adjustments aren't out of the reach of even crack-handed mechanical numpties like me. 😬
Screw and lock nut adjusters, please.

Or Yamaha’s 26,000 mile first inspection interval….

Re: Hey, Ducati!

“Screw and lock adjusters, please.”

No doubt. One of the thing that deters me from the metric and exotics is the valve adjustment rules.
My Kawasaki Concourse had this setup. Besides the half a day jiggling fairing fasteners it was really not that bad.
I wonder why more bike builders don’t use this method?
Is the shim under bucket a better performer?

Re: Hey, Ducati!

Re: Hey, Ducati!

Hey Mad,
 If I remember correctly your ZRX and my old Conny shared the same motor. Which both have screw and locknut.
 Before I did the valve adjustment I spoke with our buddy Terry. He said the that the important part that could cause a problem is the two low spots of the gasket in the two circular spots (circled in red in the photo) not sealing correctly.
In that circular spot I used some silicone in both the cover and the motor and had no issues. I was actually surprised at how easy  that job was and afterwards actually felt like a mechanic for a couple days. It's the small victories in life that keep us going.

Good luck and enjoy your small victory.

Re: Hey, Ducati!