If a chopper showed up……

Re: If a chopper showed up……

oldironnow
hacksaw wrote
Well you certainly proved yourself to be the expert on tactless crusades.

One hell of an attitude you got ,
Mr Sanctimonious!
Oh Hell, yes !

I'm all attitude and all polite, often at the same time!

Been tactless and tactful, sometimes in the same sentence!

I spent decades in the customer service industry and know how to run on both sides of the fence.

If you still really think I insulted any involvement you have in a REAL religion, then you're still not gettin' it.
Hairy Thunderer, Cosmic Muffin and Turtles all the way down essentially are all comedy bits.
Chariots hauling the sun across the sky is Greek myth. I should've been more direct.

I was referring to my presumption that you clearly belong to the religion of the CHOPPER - too which I am not a tithing member.
But I AM a member of the Church of the Motorcycle, and I embrace all types. Even the CHOPPER.
See the harmonious dissonance?

But what I was really gettin' at is that this board is too thin, IMO, to have members disrespecting each other as an everyday way of conversing about our motorcycle culture, and I went out of my polite way to rattle your cage.

You have done and seen a lot in this motorcycle world, and I believe you know an Imperial shit-ton about bikes, but on this forum I'd rather see you spend a literal minute to explain yourself and support your position, disagree when you want, but not shut-down and dump-on posters.

.

Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Me…..first off the carbs would go on.
A fuel line with one of those clear plastic inline filter where you could see it.
10/40 oil in the engine.
Put the wiring harness on loose. (He still has that)
Grab a 50 dollar battery from WalMart.

Hit the button or touch the wires and see if it turns over.
If so, Hotwire it with a quart of 87 petrol in the tank.
A shot of starting fluid in each carb and see what happens.

If it lives……….

Clear coat the frame instead of chrome.
Chrome would be nice, but come on,
get real.

No like the clear, gloss white tank and frame.
And no mother of pearl. Or whatever.
Gloss white and 3 or 4 coats of clear.

Forget about the front brake for now.

Pods on the carbs.  Or stacks. Stacks with the brass screens if you could find them.  That motor with the CV carbs…..some say they absolutely will not work without the stock air box.  But I’ve seen them on guys bikes that do.
Plus, where you gonna put a stock airbox on that thing.
There is a way.  Some way to get the pods to work.

Mount one of those real small batteries the brat guys are using under the seat. Ya, they are expensive but it would keep the bike open in the middle.  No need for an oil tank,
keep it as minimal as possible.
The seat, one of those chopper seats that are narrow and wrap up the rear fender. Maybe a small sissy bar, but that’s debatable.  It’s hard enough throwing a leg over as it is.

Exhaust, that a guy could spend a lot on.
I mean, 4 pipes wrapping under the motor,
turning up behind your legs, same angle as the rear lower
frame, or the same angle as the front forks,
ending with fishtails maybe waist high. Chromed, that would be killer.  But again, get real.
A set of header pipes off eBay that would get you past the footpegs, with 4 mufflers off a sportster, they are easy to find, staggered on each side.  Spray exhaust all flat black.

The bars, I hate those bend back or whatever you call em.
I mean, to get it on the road, yeah. But t bars would be the stuff.

A simple, round headlight, a simple brake and taillight mounted low on the rear frame with the tag mount. Right before the axel.

Jam a horn under the tripple clamp, between the fork tubes.

Ya, a clean all white bike.
Black seat.
Flat black exhaust.
Open like a brat bike in the middle.

Maybe a black peace sign on each side of the tank.
Small, up front so your knees wouldn’t hide it.

Ya……..something like that.

For carbs.
Narrower seems to be a good idea for this.

https://murrayscarbs.com

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

motogrady

Looked to see a price.
675.00 for 2 carbs and the manifold is a great deal.

Gonna save this link in notes.

Great find.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Looked to see a price.
675.00 for 2 carbs and the manifold is a great deal.

Gonna save this link in notes.

Great find.
Stumbled on them.
I think the raw aluminum finish will fit in well.

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

But I AM a member of the Church of the Motorcycle, and I embrace all types. Even the CHOPPER.

.
Well said.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

oldironnow
m143 wrote
oldironnow wrote

👍👍
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Like I need another project.
I’m gonna make a few calls.
🤔
Well, I found or got a lead on some stuff.
Just not what I think we are looking for.
Mostly dirtbike stuff with good motors but that’s it.
I mean, a bike like that would be total Frankenstein,
with the biggest being 350cc.

I dunno.

Hack is right in one respect, a vertical or v twin, to me,
would be the best starting point.  650, 750 maybe.
But that is not absolute.
I mean, I run across a wrecked goldwing for $200, why not?

A Yamaha 650xs, something like that would be nice.
But in reality, they are kinda rare.

Smoke dog and his monster bikes comes to mind.
Maybe one of those old vstars or something.
A bike that was not ridden much but has been sitting around forever, under a tarp out back.
The one where the wife finally gets her way and it just goes away for practically nothing.
🤔

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Like I need another project.
I’m gonna make a few calls.
🤔
[...]

So the inline four isn’t set in stone !

There’s flexibility, so to speak, between the engine mounts, and Hack’s ethic may find its opportunity to flourish in this frame cradle.

I have been fully reading this thread as a build to complete what was there for minimal cost. Maybe that was the original goal, and now has changed, but to be certain, I should have directly asked you before chastising Hack.

I fully apologize to Hack and the board.

If all engines are on the table, allow me to introduce a genre-expanding example:

https://www.citybike.com/stories/23-photos-project-snomochop/

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

 Going to tell us we’re “Wrong” until we become disciples?
.
 That's funny, I don't care who you are. I nearly spit my Geritol pill.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

I'm getting in late on this one but my $.02.

Lose the front brake.
If pods are already on or in a box, use them. I'd prefer that cool Murray's carb that OINow exposed but if I'm building on the cheap I'd use whatever came in the milk crates or hit the salvage yards (eBay now).

Lay the roller chain around the rear tire and form a 6" or 8" flat fender to match the radius of said tire.

Find a vintage tall Trident sissy bar and lean it back to match the rake of the springer front end. No pad, please.
Form a seat pan in king and queen cobra style. Cover it in white with 3" long felt diamonds running up the center the same color as the tank.

Build a fake oil bag in the shape of the flat top triangle in between the seat post that's opened at the top under the seat and stuff the wires in it with the battery. Key switch in front side of the bag if room in between the bag and carbs. If not then it goes on the side so I can whack it with my knee and have a custom laydown key.

Electrical would be as minimal as possible and run in the frame as could be. The coils would be tucked up as close as possible to the backbone under the tank.
For the tail light/licence plate holder I'd go Sparto in natural aluminum. The headlight would be a simple cheap 4-1/2" round.
No wires to the bars. Just single throttle cable and clutch cable.
Single round mirror, on the left bar.
I'd run the bars that came with it. Would chrome them if I could swing it or powder coat chrome.

For the kickstand, I'd probably break down and buy a weld-on set off eBay or search the swap meet that comes around once a year if I wasn't in a hurry. I'd try to find some Invader wheels for a deal while at the meet. They just scream CHOPPEEEEERRR.

Footpegs would be O-Ring type in the mid-mount position near the stock shifter.

While I had the motor out I'd scrub it clean, sand it down and rattle can it high temp silver except the jugs. They would go black.

The exhaust would be a 4 into 2 with 2" turnouts.

Once it was all done I'd get a small leather tool bag to carry the essentials. It's a homebuilt hardtail. They will be needed.

Man, just talking about it makes me want to start butchering something.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

I'm getting in late on this one but my $.02.

While I had the motor out I'd scrub it clean, sand it down and rattle can it high temp silver except the jugs. They would go black.

The exhaust would be a 4 into 2 with 2" turnouts.

Once it was all done I'd get a small leather tool bag to carry the essentials. It's a homebuilt hardtail. They will be needed.

Man, just talking about it makes me want to start butchering something.

That's all good stuff ^

I feel that bolded feeling.

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

motogrady

There is a big auction house here in town.
Rode by it today.
Looks like someone his selling off small junkyard.

I noticed from the road as I passed, in the middle of a bunch of farm tractors, what looked like a windshield and a set of handlebars sticking up in the air.

On the way back home I convinced myself to see if there might be a bigger riding lawnmower than the beat one I currently have.

So, I stopped in.

A ton of junk.
With a few diamonds in the rough there is.
A few old Thunderbirds, one was a 60, or 61.  The ones with the pointy, surfboard on their side looking ones.
That was in pretty shape really.  Half a dozen old mustangs
and Camaros. Older tractors and farm equipment, just a ton of stuff.  Some appeared to have been sitting out in a field.  Some looked like they had been barn kept.

And in the middle of it all, was about 20 bikes.
All street bikes, 70s and 80s looking.
All dusty and dirty, but no rust.
All metric stuff.
I know for sure there’s a gold wing.
And some kind of inline 4.  Not a Honda but a 4.

And what appeared to be some kind of big vertical twin.

I couldn’t get close, it’s fenced off, it was after 5pm.

I’ve bought cars and trucks there.
It’s a state licensed business.
You want a title they, for about 100 bucks,
provide a brand new one, registration and tags if you want them also.

I think the auction is Saturday.

Stay tuned.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Re: If a chopper showed up……

oldironnow
Man I wanna fly there !

I barely have restraint …… rrrrrrrrr ……..

If you go give us a heads up on what they have !

.
Choose to Ride. Supports splitting everywhere.

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Well you have the right ideas .
Except lose the front brake would be a deathwish around here. Especially if you insist on using a ujm four.
I still got plenty of chop parts though I am hoping to get rid of much of them soon.
Piles of oring pegs , trident sissy’s , etc

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw
I actually like that  Polaris chopper.
But i

Re: If a chopper showed up……

hacksaw
Hey! If you want that carb set up u best jump on it. Sudco is closing and I don’t know where they could be sourced after that

Re: If a chopper showed up……

Arte Johnson
Lol.

Re: If a chopper showed up……