Last Rides

1 ... 3456789 ... 26

Re: Last Rides

200 miles. I’m envious.
Whenever I ride, I think how easily you can double whatever I cover.

Re: Last Rides

Wow, great ride report!  And you've made me wish I'd gone to the VG event here in LA.
Thank you for the exclamation point!

But I must make a correction - I just realized both you and I live on the Pacific Plate.

I always forget about L.A.
Except when driving anywhere south of San Luis Obispo.  "brrrr--rr--rrr" It's a chilling experience, only fit for the toughest or most harden souls.

Speaking of Experience - They've held over the show: https://tickets.vangoghla.com/#/

Re: Last Rides

Whenever I ride, I think how easily you can double whatever I cover.
Our weather has finally turned so some long days in the saddle are coming!!!!

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

oldironnow
That's a damn good day's ride!

Did you return via Ojai?

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

^Two extremes. Full leathers to shorts. I couldn’t nor wouldn’t in the high temps.
Of course I don’t do either in any temperature. Don’t own leathers other than a jacket and I can’t wear shorts without leaving some burnt flesh on a pipe.

A few months ago I bought a building for business expansion. The company I bought the building from couldn’t get the building they bought completely ready by the time closing the deal so I’ve been leasing some of our space back to them and have gotten to know a few of their employees. Turns out some of them ride.

One of the guys has been on me about joining them on a ride.
Because of the three day weekend we got a chance to get together for a ride on Monday.
We gathered up at 8:00 am and hit the back roads in the  Ozark foot hills.

 I like folks that like to start early. So many of the cruiser clans don’t like to get it early. Many are ass dragging from the night before. Especially on a holiday weekend.
Not these guys. We met at 8:00 am and kickstands were up by 8:15. Up and at’em!

In to it for a few miles and the pace was kinda slow and I thought I was going to have to come up with an excuse to pull out. I can’t stand putting around under the speed limit.

After about 60 miles they picked up the pace a bit but didn’t get stupid. I guess the leader was feeling me out making sure I knew how to ride with a group. Wise move there. Not a lot of groups do that. They just throw a new guy in and say “Let’s burn.”
Doesn’t always end well.

Speaking of not ending so well, after lunch and couple hundred miles we were heading east on Route 66 the “road captain “ motioned for me to take the front so he could roll to the back.
Since I have covered most of the roads in the surrounding area I figured I’d get us of bumpy Route 66 and head north up to Highway 50 for a bit.

The road I turned us on was a great nice tree lined county highway with rolling hills like a roller coaster. Pretty straight for several miles then the sign most full dress Harley riders ever dread to see;

“Damn!” Freakin road ended at a T with only gravel to turn on to. Even my wife thought we had traveled this road once  before. So we all had to turn our 900 pound machines plus the weight of the riders around on some very loose gravel.
So much for showing them my impeccable navigation skills.
At least I gave them something to laugh about.

After we got them turned around we headed back, the way we came, we just got back and headed east on Route 66 until we could find a southern route again,,, that didn’t turn to gravel.

Later one of the guys told me this was his first attempt at a gravel turn around on his dresser. He’d just had to replace his Dyna Glide after being ran over by a car.
He did good not to throat chop me.

Despite the gravel spin around it was a great day of riding with some good folks who just wanna ride and laugh.
Felt good!

Re: Last Rides

The photos were taken by a gal on the ride. She texted them to me.

The group outside lunch stop, Rich’s Famous Burgers.

Re: Last Rides

Allred
Love your ride reports FatFat, and your wonderful accompanying photos, appreciate your dedication to the "sport", wished we lived closer!

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

Allred wrote
Love your ride reports FatFat, and your wonderful accompanying photos, appreciate your dedication to the "sport", wished we lived closer!
I second that!

Love the pic looking back with the mirror glasses reflection.

Re: Last Rides

Allred wrote
wished we lived closer!
I do as well, my friend. I do as well.
I’d get a giggle trying to stay up with you on your red bird.

Re: Last Rides

 but damn that side shot showing all that distance between you and the front wheel
You know,,, I never really noticed that until you pointed it out.  Explains the wrestling, even on solid surfaces.
If it didn’t ride so dang well it would be gone.
Because of the dialysis thang I don’t really get to tour long trips anymore so having a couch on wheels is overkill.

I keep thinking about trading it in for a slimmer version but HD hasn’t made one that has me wanting to ride across their threshold, yet.

If they make a mono-shock fixed fairing bike, with a proper two up seat height, I may be tempted.

Re: Last Rides

Love the pic looking back with the mirror glasses reflection.
There may be some more of those coming up next month.
They haven’t learned their lesson. They’ve asked me to help plan a ride to Arkansas in August for a ride on the Pig Tail Pass.

I’m sure I can find some gravel throughout the weekend.
Suckers.

Re: Last Rides

There may be some more of those coming up next month.
They haven’t learned their lesson. They’ve asked me to help plan a ride to Arkansas in August for a ride on the Pig Tail Pass.

I’m sure I can find some gravel throughout the weekend.
Suckers.

I bet they were impressed...

"I like this guy. Wildcard. Fearless. Kinda just rolls it on. Let's see what he can do with Arkansas."
Supports splitting everywhere.
1 ... 3456789 ... 26