Last Rides

1 ... 45678910 ... 26

Re: Last Rides

R7
Knees just touch the fairing edge.
The front brake seems unremarkable, even for it's Brembo radial master, but then the group is not hammering into the Corkscrew. The rear seems wooden.
Shifting 'Up' is so short, it's easy to not notice it and reach for another stab at the foot lever. Down seems doubly long in movement.
The clutch is extremely easy.
Reach to the bars is pretty deep. Commited.
Comparing R1 and R7 with the eye suggests bar mount is at the same height, but the R1 seems to offer a steeper bar angle. My wrists notice it on the R1 even at showroom speed. The R7 brings a right wrist ache after 20 minutes. Maybe a flater bar angle would help my old wrists.
The seat is firm. Quite.
There's an irritating whirring sound while rolling at slower speeds. Rad fans? There's no time to figure it out.
The footpegs... are perfect. Thank you God. Right where i want them - high and back. It feels like the toepeg/footpeg relationship is tighter than im used too. Perhaps they are co-habitating. I have to work my boot into the space for the shifting. The boots, on both sides, seem to fit into 'notches', finding a space out of the wind. Are you ready Boots?
Handling is very light.
The R7 seems to fall into corners, but is picked up and set to line with an application of throttle.
There is a corner on the route, near the end -  it's a left that's uphill-ish from entry to apex that then doubles its upward slope from apex to beyond.
I feel the R7 'cuuuush' and compress evenly on its legs just before the apex. An entirely satisfying feeling of suspension and traction finding harmony and maintaining the salient. Nothing but confidence. Nothing but room for more momentum.

Ténéré700

So comfortable. So useable. One can stand up all day. One can sit down all day. Seat was expected to be uncomfortable from sitting on the demo, but underway, it's tolerable. I'm on the factory shortened model, which is still tip-toes for me. The seat edge cuts into the thigh when trying to put both feet down.
The bars are at fist in the wind height. There are hand guards, but are low-cut, more like bark-busters. Cold wind will find your once-warm fingers. As on the R7, the clutch pull is laughably easy.
The instrument cluster and windshield seems cocked off-center just enough to instigate my mild OCD issues. My mind insists the handlebars are on crooked. My other mind tries to insist that is not likely. But the wind protection is perfect, even on an 80° hot day. No buffeting, just a good tumble of air drifting over me. And it's much more fun and safe to look out at the passing world then stare at the dash landscape for irregularities. Let it go.
The bar/seat/peg relationship is perfect. I could leave on this bike. For anywhere. Now. SR500 meets Sportster, have child. Very reminiscent of an extremely lightened 883R.
The engine is said to be exactly the same as the R7, but the final gearing must be different. The gearbox gets churned through quicker, or so it seems.
Where the R7 is a planted-light, the Ténéré is light-planted. 19 inch front and a blocky tire can get to pushin' a bit after apexing. Waggle those bars. Play with it. Think about which tire maker offers something a touch tackier. Try not to run into the rider ahead.

PanAmerican

There it is in the hot sunlight. Up by the throttle. The man says 'do it' - Thumb The Button. Noisy, in a good way. Lots of engine symphony clattering up out of the engine bay. Chatter. Clatter. Almost Ducati dry-clutchy, without the airy jangling when the clutch lever is pulled in. Where all bikes seem to whirrrr or whinnnnnne like precision sewing machines, this PanAm broadcasts a personality independant from exhaust flatulence. A voice that promises action.
Where the Yamaha rides were all led with chaperones front and rear, HD just shows you what's up with the bike - "Here's the ride-mode button. You just toggle between Rain, Road(?) And Sport. Remember, you're on a 150-horse motorcycle so take it easy. I'll start you out in Rain." I promise to behave myself, I know the way, have appreciated HD's trust in the past at Belmont and the Cow Palace; the young guy actually seems relieved.
And away we go alone, puttering around the Yamaha tents. Avoiding oblivious couples walking on personal vectors of hidden plans, chatting in their secret languages, shoulders just touching, cutting diagonally through a river of motorcycle traffic. The magic suspension lift is unsensed. It could be P.R. for all i know. But i can flat-foot the bike.
The wind screen top is right at eye-level, and fondling the trick lever doesn't move it much, but there seems to be long slots that suggest a greater range of adjustment, and likely, i am doing it wrong.
Up and out of Seca's bowl, all alone, and dropping down the 16% grade to the front gate on Hwy 68.  The front brake is great, as is the rear. Especially under the watchful eye of the waiting CHP Dodge. Full stop. Proper use of 'world-normal' turn signal switch gear. Smooth blending into the traffic. Quickly into toying with Modes. Ah. There's 'Sport'. Decidedly the most powerful motorcycle I've ridden. Well over the 55 in a thrice. A touch of the brakes and time to consider the enveloping pocket of still air around me. The windscreen is effective, and the hand guards look tall enough to protect the hands.
What impresses me most is my backside and how comfortable it is. The seat is great for me. Even the little step up to the passenger seat is a nice support piece. Over 20 minutes, it even seems to get more comfortable.
Handling does not scare. Connected. As unsensed as the suspension lift. Neutral. Does not fight back when asked to do more. Compliant.
The suspension is not. The front has too much conpression damping. We pound over some bumps. The rear needs more rebound. There are wires leading into the fork tops, so maybe a cell phone can fix this.
The magic left is a breeze; it would be fun to speed on this bike. The Michelin Scorchers don't do the R7 'cuuush'. This is okay. It seems an inappropriate ask - like corrupting your honest accountant.
A cop closes from the front, so i over-hammer the front brake and give a weak and guilty wave.
A young-person HD employee says to park it where i stop as i look for a place in their line-up of two dozen standard beasts. She asks about my thoughts on the engine noise. "Too much, or not enough?"
"Just right," I say.
I'm excited for HD.

More

Re: Last Rides

My wrists notice it on the R1 even at showroom speed.
Those showroom speeds can get pretty high!

oldironnow wrote
The R7 brings a right wrist ache after 20 minutes. Maybe a flatter bar angle would help my old wrists.
I doubt it, like me you just have old wrists!

oldironnow wrote
 Are you ready Boots?
LOL...........I guess you have to be our age to remember Nancy!

Great write up OldIron........looking forward to the "more".

Re: Last Rides

Re: Last Rides

oldironnow
Thanks!

Yes. It's from a Rossi phrase that was the tagline to MotoGP's opening intro sequence.

I had to be told what it was years into its use.

Re: Last Rides

whatarush
They haven’t learned their lesson. They’ve asked me to help plan a ride to Arkansas in August for a ride on the Pig Tail Pass.

I’m sure I can find some gravel throughout the weekend.
Suckers.
I'm sure you know, but a good lunch stop when riding the Pig Tail is the Oark General Store just east of AR 215/103 junction. Or if you want to lead them on some gravel go 3 miles pass the Oark and eat at the Catalpa Cafe And General Store.

Re: Last Rides

whatarush
R7
Nice report oldiron. I like to hear/read that HD is still doing the follow arrow route instead of the follow the leader thing...Now I'm really looking for to going back to Austin this year.

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

oldironnow
You are a bold and wise man, and I commend you!

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

Re: Last Rides

whatarush wrote
I'm sure you know, but a good lunch stop when riding the Pig Tail is the Oark General Store just east of AR 215/103 junction. Or if you want to lead them on some gravel go 3 miles pass the Oark and eat at the Catalpa Cafe And General Store.
Thanks, but no gravel,,, on purpose.
I was planning on a stop by the General Store.
I think I’m going to take 125 to the ferry across Bull Shoals Lake and then stay at the Hub in Marble Falls and do rides from there.

They folks going haven’t done Arkansas yet so I’m thinking that area around Marble Falls is a good place for a weekend ride.

Re: Last Rides

Where the Yamaha rides were all led with chaperones front and rear, HD just shows you what's up with the bike - "Here's the ride-mode button. You just toggle between Rain, Road(?) And Sport. Remember, you're on a 150-horse motorcycle so take it easy.
That is one thing HD  does well,,, let you get some experience on their bikes by demo rides. They were the first I ever saw do such a thing.
When trying to ride a metric bike at a dealer it’s always, “Sorry,,, insurance says no can do.”

Nice reviews Oldiron. Thank you.

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

Here she is:

NICE!!!!.
Great move Mad. Bike looks like a blast. I’m looking forward to hear more.

I was just talking to our mutual friend Terry.  He told me about your new addition. I had to pop in here with hopes of seeing it.
I commend you, sir.
Congratulations.
Looks like a keeper.

Re: Last Rides

whatarush wrote
oldironnow wrote
R7
Nice report oldiron. I like to hear/read that HD is still doing the follow arrow route instead of the follow the leader thing...Now I'm really looking for to going back to Austin this year.
Did they have demo rides when you went?
I went the year of the inaugural MotoGP. Harley was there but no demo rides were running that I saw.

We are working on figuring out how to pull it off by switching treatment days around. We may have to fly so I can get back for treatment. Not like we would be missing much. The ride to Austin is B O R I N G.

Re: Last Rides

whatarush
This post was updated on .
They did in 18 & 19. The first year I made the mistake of not signing up in time to ride any of the Honda's & Yamaha's that I wanted to ride. So we rode four different Harley's....I can't remember all the models, but I liked the Fat Bob the most.

Edit:If you haven't reserved a hotel yet, you'll want to do it very soon. We usually stay in Buda, but last I looked rooms was at $250 a night for that weekend. We are staying in Bastrop this year at $125 a night. Also COTA is not doing GA tickets this year, so you have to buy a revered seat.

Re: Last Rides

Bastrup is where I stayed when I went. Like usual, when I went I made no plans. I decided on Wednesday I was going to go. I loaded some socks and drawers and took off on Thursday morning.
I poked around when I got to the track and discovered a small motel in Bastrup that had a room.

 All this planning ahead schtuff is just not my forte. I'm just so used to jumping in and going. It kind of sucks to have to do it. Takes some of the excitement out of it for me.

No GA seats is a bummer. I like roaming around. I hope that we can get back to normal by next year.

Re: Last Rides

whatarush
I should have been more clear. You can still roam around, you just have to buy a reserved seat.
Copied for COTA’s website:
“General Admission tickets will not be offered this year, but fans will still be able to explore the Circuit and enjoy their favorite GA areas by purchasing a reserved seat ticket”

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

Allred
See how you are, you wait until I'm incapacitated and go ahead and do things without my approval!!

But, I approve!

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

Re: Last Rides *Mad4's New Ride*

1 ... 45678910 ... 26