M143 got a Big Scrambler

Looks like all is well here on the forum.

I've been occupied with some cool stuff, one is this bruised and slightly bent Triumph.

My kid bought it new 2000 miles ago. A riding buddy hit him from behind knocking him down and damaging both sides of the bike.

Insurance declared it a total loss. My kid bought the bike from the insurance company and sold it to me.

I got it almost ready for inspection and re-registration.

Took it for a shake down ride, wow what a motor. The bike is huge !!

It might be a sidecar tug someday.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

m143
Here is the bike before it got mugged.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

oldironnow
Good score!!!!

In what ways is it damaged?

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

m143
Thanks Old Iron.
I bought a tail light, foot peg assembly, hand guard, clutch and brake perch clamps, side cover, and some fasteners. About a thousand bucks.
The heat shield, right side passenger peg are scraped but for now I'm leaving them alone.
My kid put bar end mirrors on it. They were trashed but he had the originals so that was easy.
The frame got a dime sized ding by the passenger peg mount. That did the bike in, 5k for a frame and 3k labor.
It doesn't bother me.

Oh the joystick on the left switch gear that changes the display is busted. That switch is back ordered.
That's it, easy fix.
The bike however will now have a salvage title killing resale value.
I plan to ride the hell out of it, not sell it.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

Ya great looking bike.  A classic look.
Kinda reminds me of the early scramblers.
When they took a street bike and just wrapped
the pipes around the side.
Even the layed over twin shock setup lends to a classic
look.

Heck of a deal Walt.
Congrats on a great find!

Very cool.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

oldironnow
Good on ya, M’!

I like that it’s going to live on fearlessly.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

m143
Thanks guys!

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

A scrambler with a hag. I’d pay to see that.
The moto gods bless you for saving this machine from being  a donor bike

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

m143
Thanks Kirk,

Hacking the Scrambler can be done a few ways.

I'm leaning towards an off road flavored sidecar.

Freedom Sidecars in PA does some slick work.

This bike is tall and a third wheel might be in order.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

The Big Scrambler got through inspection, CT DMV issued a new tag, and now it's time to ride it.

The bike is very tall and I'm still getting used the tippy feeling I get when I'm around or on it.

The height is an advantage once you are moving. I can see better and I believe I'm more visible.

Standing up seems perfectly natural.

I rode part of The Trans. Mass Trial yesterday. It's a dirt road ride from the CT border to VT with asphalt mixed in between the dirt. I've ridden these roads on an Airhead Beemer and had fun. But the Scrambler is a whole new level.

I'm thrilled with this bike.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

Awesome! Very cool on the legalness.  The bike will get to live on the streets and back roads with pride instead of back alleys and woods life.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

motogrady

That is a good looking bike.
Reminds me of those Indian flattrackers.

Hats off for saving that one Walt.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

m143
Thanks,

Somehow we should get together and ride !

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

hacksaw
nice. and i have to find that road.
does it show on a map someplace?
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

m143
Hack,
That road is Fred Snow Rd. In Beckett Ma.
A route was mapped out from Colebrook Ct. to Greenfield Ma.
It's called The Trans Mass Trailway.
Mostly dirt roads connected by short streches of pavement. Cars travel these roads, and they are well maintained. It makes a nice leisurely ride.
Any street bike could do the route, the Big Scramler eats it up.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

hacksaw
Nice! It’s in my list!
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

CT dirt road.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

^ I think CT dirt road deserves it own song.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

hacksaw
Not many left.
Sadly.
rising crime rates are hurting American moto enthusiasts.

Re: M143 got a Big Scrambler

oldironnow
That is sad.