MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Motorcycle auction scheduled for July 10th-18th at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/indianapolis-2020/lots/motorcycles/

One of several HDs

A nice Velo Thruxton

Several Cushman and Toppers

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

motogrady

I've wanted one of these for about 10 years now.
Narrow, good power, light for a street bike.  Kicking it would be a drag but, hey, what's perfect?

Missed one about a month ago.  A guy in Pittsburg had I think an 82 for sale on Craigslist.
A servivor.  Everything was there, just a bit of surface rust.  9k on the clock.
Wanted $500.
Called him, said I'd be there the next day, it had been listed the day before.
The following day, Friday, I hit the bank at 9 am, called him to tell him I was on the way.

The guy said sorry, it sold last night.

Now this, the Hurricane, I would consider takin a loan out for.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

motogrady

Pretty rare bike here.  With a weakness for this Spanish brand this interests me.
That's showroom condition.  I'd be leery about even taking in the woods.
The King Scorpion was, to me, a notch below the Bultaco, what were the they, Fronteras?

But, how cool would it be to show up at a local ADV ride on one of these?

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

motogrady

Yikes, the 501 Maico.   I rode a few 400s back in the day, and they were beasts.
Look at that jug!

The guy that gets that better be a beefy person.
Fixed up, it's a monster,
Just kickin it over is gonna be an art.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

motogrady

Man, would this turn some heads on the way to the hardware or grocery store?

I wouldn't touch a thing cosmetic wise.

Can hear it now, "did you see that thing he's riding around town on lately?"

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Allred

I wouldn't mind having this 1949 ES2 Norton...........

(The license plate shows that it was sold new in the city of York, UK).

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

This.

One of the few moments when god was speaking directly to me,
and I didn't hear.

I was casting about with no money, trying to get into motorcycling, and I wandered into the Hollister dealership.
The salesman was almost throwing it at me.
And I walked away.
Would've changed my life in such a good way.
Now, to spend my old-man monies on it, would likely change my life in a bad way.
But - it would be fun.
:)

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Allred

This '93 Fatboy is cool, and the more I look at it the more I like it.

At no reserve it will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

This.

But - it would be fun.
:)
 aahhh,, to have unlimited funds,,,, and time.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Allred wrote

This '93 Fatboy is cool, and the more I look at it the more I like it.

At no reserve it will be interesting to see what it goes for.

.
That is a good looking bike. The red sets off nicely. So hard to predict pricing. This is not a "collector" bike but nice Evo bikes can sometimes bring in decent money.

My guess would be in the $7-$8k range. Of course if the right two guys are there it could fetch $10k.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

  That is a good looking bike. The red sets off nicely. So hard to predict pricing. This is not a "collector" bike but nice Evo bikes can sometimes bring in decent money.

My guess would be in the $7-$8k range. Of course if the right two guys are there it could fetch $10k.
And with only 1,900 miles since new I can see how $10K-plus won't be out of the question, I'm going to stick my neck out and predict $12K.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

If it brings $12k I think I need to start buying and taking bikes to these auctions.

Lots of low mileage very nice bikes being sold for much less.
My dad just built a nice light trailer out of some of my scrape aluminum that is made perfectly for hauling a bike. I could use it to go around and pick up a bike here and there and then load them up on my two larger trailers and take to auction.

I see a new business plan in the making.
Screw this glass business stuff.
Now,,, what to do with the 40 or so employees?

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

If it brings $12k I think I need to start buying and taking bikes to these auctions.

Lots of low mileage very nice bikes being sold for much less.
My dad just built a nice light trailer out of some of my scrape aluminum that is made perfectly for hauling a bike. I could use it to go around and pick up a bike here and there and then load them up on my two larger trailers and take to auction.

I see a new business plan in the making.
Screw this glass business stuff.
Now,,, what to do with the 40 or so employees?
LOL, I think my advice is........"don't rush into it"!

;)

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Allred
They're saving that Fatboy until the very last...............Saturday July 18th, calling it the "Star" item!

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/indianapolis-2020/lots/motorcycles/07/18/

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Allred

The 850 Commando sold for a whopping $24,200................but it did have only 28 miles on the clock so basically a new bike.

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

oldironnow
Wouldn't all the seals and hoses be completely ossified by now?

Is the value of the 28 miles just found in expressing its original state, but condemned to survive as a forever non-runner?

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

Wouldn't all the seals and hoses be completely ossified by now?

Is the value of the 28 miles just found in expressing its original state, but condemned to survive as a forever non-runner?
Not that many seals on such a thing, but those that are (fork seals, drive-side crankshaft seal, timing-side ignition seal) are relatively easy to replace. I would figure the carbs-to-airbox rubbers are toast, but also easy to replace (assuming availability). The fuel lines look to be original, and probably hard and brittle and likely to leak as soon as you put any fuel through them.

But the main quandary is just like you state, what do you do with such a thing...........do you preserve the 28 miles and just sit and stare at it, or do you replace the perishables and ride it?

Re: MECUM INDIANA STATE FAIRGROUND AUCTION

oldironnow
I think the only reasonable wealthy-man answer is to buy this 28-mile beauty,
and ALSO buy a race Norton.

Trackday Norton and a shrine Norton.