New or interesting bikes

Re: New or interesting bikes

oldironnow
Thanks for that link.
I normally don't spend time with video reviews, but FortNine's product seems to me to be nearly at movie-level.

Kind of captivating.

And, bitter, yes.

The Shift Cam/over-all GS review is negative, but I think he will not be preaching to the BMW choir. Isn't that market just about whatever the Roundel is glued upon; The more farklery and complex, the better?

That little servo under the valve cover seems to reflect Bandit88's experience owning that BMW Raketenschiff - Things will fail, and they will part of larger systems that one must be as expensive wholes to render the bike usable once more.

I clicked on the Yamaha Ténéré 700 review. More of the same. I feel it was insightful, balanced and fair. Maybe they are trying to excise hype from their world.

Re: New or interesting bikes

motogrady
"It's the new generation,takin ova"

Saw this one over at the CW site.  Made in China under HD license, for the Asian market.  Maybe.
On another forum, half a dozen older guys complained it almost blinded them it was so ugly.

One young guy said he liked it.

Should HD go here?  A 350 Twin, not just for Asia, but Europe and 'merica?

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/photos-reveal-chinese-harley-davidson-hd350/

Re: New or interesting bikes

Hey, thought we needed a place to share news and curmudgeonly views about new bikes,
I've watched several of this guy's motorcycle 'tubes, he's definitely different but his presentations are well thought out and informative.

I couldn't help but sigh at the "innovative" (read that as ridiculously stupid) shaped valve access plug!

I liked his staid valve timing show, lengthy enough for the completely uninitiated to understand, yet concise enough for the already informed to approve.

As he points out, valve overlap is historic, two stage variable valve timing more recent, and continuously variable valve timing a little more recent.............but still a feature decades old on street machines. So for BMW to boast of a fairly archaic two-stage VVT setup is, as he takes great lengths to point out, a little absurd.  My car has had electrically/hydraulically operated continuously variable valve timing for over 20 years!

Obviously BMW needs an off switch for that anti-rollback feature, how did that one get past QA?

The guy is smart, and well informed, and his videos are excellent. He's definitely a bit of a curmudgeon, we should invite him to this forum!

Re: New or interesting bikes

Saw this one over at the CW site...........half a dozen older guys complained it almost blinded them it was so ugly.
I had to wear dark welding goggles just to look at it!

When are they going to come to their senses and quit making these deformed, hunch-backed, one-eyed, praying mantis monstrosities ?

Re: New or interesting bikes

"It's the new generation,takin ova"

Saw this one over at the CW site.  Made in China under HD license, for the Asian market.  Maybe.
On another forum, half a dozen older guys complained it almost blinded them it was so ugly.

One young guy said he liked it.

Should HD go here?  A 350 Twin, not just for Asia, but Europe and 'merica?

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/photos-reveal-chinese-harley-davidson-hd350/
I saw that too,, I have to wonder,,, in most countries its the Americana of Harley that they want. That is not Americana.
I would thing a 350 cruiser would be a better fit. I guess cruisers aren't big there.

Re: New or interesting bikes

Allred
While this video is titled "Fastest Bikes" it is nevertheless a decent overview of seven 2020 motorcycles......albeit all of them very fast!

The longevity of the Hayabusa (it's over 20 years old now!) simply amazes me, and if I were to buy another motorcycle it would be the one.

195 hp from a V-Twin, coupled with Italian looks, make the Duc Panigale R pretty impressive.

The 'Saki H2 & H2Rs define the meaning of "Grotesque" and "Ugly", both bikes are extremely ugly and their prices are grotesque!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEVkHOzpQM

Re: New or interesting bikes

Allred

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/2021-ducati-superleggera-v4-first-ride-review/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&tp=i-1NGB-Et-Psj-14HL6Q-1c-12Y9c-1c-14HNAR-l4wK7o0lfV-PvYyH

At $100,000 I don't think anyone on this forum will be putting their name down for one of these 500 limited production Ducati Superleggera V4s, but what an example of a beautiful looking motorcycle.......complete with mini-winglets even!

Mad4, I think you would look good on the Crest on one of these?

Re: New or interesting bikes

oldironnow
The small HD reminds me of the BMW GS310.
Mad's next motorcycle is gorgeous. I can feel the lightness from here.

Re: New or interesting bikes

Allred wrote
At $100,000 I don't think anyone on this forum will be putting their name down for one of these 500 limited production Ducati Superleggera V4s,

.

I put my name down,,,, and was laughed at. Told me that my name needed to be Antonio, Angelo, Santo, etc.

Re: New or interesting bikes

Re: New or interesting bikes

"Mad4, I think you would look good on the Crest on one of these? "

I sure would. I'd be the best looking poser you've ever seen. The poorest too.
How'd that ad go.........."Buying a Superleggera..... $100,000.   Riding it on the 'Crest......... priceless!"

Re: New or interesting bikes

oldironnow
Buy the 100-Grand Ducati?
Or purchase a Moto2 bike?

If I could even afford one, I'd likely buy both

Re: New or interesting bikes

oldironnow
Only $18K.

Triumph Moto2 'replica."

Much nicer to me than the naked Daytona.

Re: New or interesting bikes

Re: New or interesting bikes

I wish it looked more like a Moto2 bike. As it is, it looks like a 675R Daytona with a bigger engine and longer, sleeker exhaust. Also, for that 18K you don't get the latest electronics, like cornering ABS. I think the Ducati V2 is a better bang for buck, although if you like Triples the Duc's extra power and electronics might not be enough to offset the twin's relative coarseness.
That's how I ended you at Triumph's website; Watching today's Moto2 race inspired a casual search to see if I could buy a Kalex or SpeedUp for trackdays.

I think it is not possible, likely both legally and financially.

I did find a website that made your same suggestion - Just get a Duc.

Re: New or interesting bikes

The YZF-R3  Monster Energy Motogp Edition is the bike I would throw into the Interesting List but ain't buying.

I saw one of these at the dealer and liked the looks but a 321cc is not Motogp territory.
I'm sure it would be a great back road burner but small cc bikes suck for anything more than that. You have to ring their necks to get them going and to listen to them scream as you run the slab just makes me cringe.

I know the thimble size pistons are made for high rpm's but I just can't stand it. I like big cylinders but I have no self control. sigh,,,, I'm a Vtwin rider. That's all there is to it.

Re: New or interesting bikes

The YZF-R3  Monster Energy Motogp Edition is the bike I would throw into the Interesting List but ain't buying.

I saw one of these at the dealer and liked the looks but a 321cc is not Motogp territory.
I'm sure it would be a great back road burner but small cc bikes suck for anything more than that. You have to ring their necks to get them going and to listen to them scream as you run the slab just makes me cringe.

I know the thimble size pistons are made for high rpm's but I just can't stand it. I like big cylinders but I have no self control. sigh,,,, I'm a Vtwin rider. That's all there is to it.
I know that what I am about to say is possibly more relative to 50+ years ago, but I think it is also relative today. If I were 16, and living on an apprentice's wages, I wouldn't be able to sleep because of that little Yamaha! A pseudo-MotoGP bike that I could, maybe, afford to buy, and insure!  Oh boy, my first step to a bigger, faster, real-McCoy MotoGP machine......well, at least an R1, or a CBR1000RR, or a GSXR1100RR, etc, etc, etc.

I guess what I am saying is, this is actually a good thing, it is a machine to temps future larger capacity riders into the fold.

Re: New or interesting bikes

oldironnow
I've been dallying over these R3s lately.

Just idly thinking of getting a new bike. One that would be fresh, and without used-600cc bike worries, and not crazy expensive in case I have to excess it.

I rode one not long ago. A street-demo near laguna Seca. The experience was interesting.

I've lost the review here at the Estate, and it was on The Forum, so it's all gone.

Of the nine (10?) bikes I rode that day, I do remember it being a solid Yamaha bike. Neutral, composed and quietly competent like a Midwest farm wife. You wouldn't see her in the crowds on Broadway, but if your antenna and head are screwed on right - there's your lifelong partner.

Deciding to flog it, because it was 'theirs' (kind of a mountaineering pun - I know, one shouldn't explain the jokes) - that's where the interesting happened.

Out on the two-lane highway, cramming it all the way down into first, or levering all the way up into sixth when trolling slowly in the group as we approached the stoplights, no matter the gear, no matter the rpm, it just seemed to have the same engine 'character.' Never too stressed, and never flustered with bogging.

It's like the torque curve was not a wavy line, but instead the entire rectangular box in which the curve is always printed, and one could pick any point in the box for whatever reason.

It's like the MotoGP engine corralling tech is being used to create both a 100% usable machine in the face of any newb ham-fistedness, and also a machine can't be forced to do stupid things so it stays in it's mechanical and emissions sandbox.

FI with ride-by-wire or dual sets of butterflies?

Re: New or interesting bikes