Odd Things

oldironnow
This is why 'Engineering':

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Golden-Gate-Bridge-noise-humming-why-wind-sound-15321767.php

I believe Kevin Cameron will small at this.

Re: Odd Things

That’s actually pretty cool but I bet it can drive a person batty if they had to hear it all day.

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
*smile at this

Yes. It seems like the perfect tourist removal system.

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
I think one can find Kevin Cameron and Bandit88 in the comments section:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/separating-value-from-sentimentality/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email

Re: Odd Things

Allred
I read that KC article and could definitely relate to it.

Many years ago I got nostalgic for my 1958 Norton which I owned 1969-1973. Ten years after I had sold it I tracked it down and re-purchased it. It was sitting forlornly in an unlit shed with a Triumph engine in its frame. The Triumph engine had a connecting rod poking out of its crankcases, as had the original Norton engine which was in pieces in a box in another corner of the shed.

I sold the Triumph engine for parts and set to to restore the original Norton engine and return it to its proper place and bring the motorcycle back to its former glory.

All went well with the restoration, but I was surprised when the project was finished and a gleaming "new" Norton cafe racer was complete how much the bike vibrated, and how it didn't seem to be as fast as I remembered, nor was it as comfortable as I remembered, etc, etc. Time had moved on, engineering had progressed, memory had faded, the truth was a little hard to swallow.

I'm glad I did it, I had scratched an itch, but I barely rode the bike and soon sold it for a surprisingly handsome profit. The new owner was thrilled with the purchase and so I guess it was a benefit for everyone concerned.

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
But would you have it, now?

Maybe there's a curve with an inflection point upward to these sensations.

Re: Odd Things

But would you have it, now?Maybe there's a curve with an inflection point upward to these sensations.
No, I'm pretty sure I would desire it even less now.

As the KC article states, we view things during their time with eyes that are also of that time, the items don't change, but the eyes that view them do.

Memories are often best left undisturbed where they are.

A bit like Wolfe's "you can't go home again"

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
Allred wrote
oldironnow wrote
But would you have it, now?Maybe there's a curve with an inflection point upward to these sensations.
No, I'm pretty sure I would desire it even less now.

As the KC article states, we view things during their time with eyes that are also of that time, the items don't change, but the eyes that view them do.

Memories are often best left undisturbed where they are.

A bit like Wolfe's "you can't go home again"

I guess I stand in a place where I enjoy directly sensing the passing of time.

I like that 'things' cast off from before are saved and around to be felt still. If not just to compare to today's 'things,' but also to be able to feel what the designer at the time felt was their best possible effort, and how, even with all of its shortcomings, it was still a revelation of the modern, cutting edge.

I'm reminded of Nicky Hayden lapping Indy on a 1909 Indian that ran in the first race at IMS.

http://goodsparkgarage.com/nicky-haydens-inaugural-lap-at-indianapolis-motor-speedway/

Re: Odd Things

Allred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8KVGr7_dM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTCA_tatqMo

Talking of nostalgia, here is some interesting recent "dragstalgia".  British twins from the 50s and 60s (and some from before) replicating their high speed runs of yesteryear at Santa Pod.

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
Love the 3/4 distance resonance!

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
So this is the edge of Nuclear Winter.

I feel like this is the end of trees in California.
In my travels lately, it appears the burned over areas aren't regenerating the trees that had been there.
It feels like the state is becoming a grassland state.

Re: Odd Things

Man, that looks so bad.
How is your breathing?

Re: Odd Things

Allred

Images of around Redding this week.....................these fires are not of nature's making, they are set by humans, on purpose.

Re: Odd Things

Man, that looks so bad.
How is your breathing?
Orange sky day? Not bad at all. There was a very thick marine layer, and the smoke from thew north was jammed up on top of it.

Yesterday and night, the smoke came to the ground. I wore my 3M respirator for much of the shift.

Re: Odd Things

Allred wrote

Images of around Redding this week.....................these fires are not of nature's making, they are set by humans, on purpose.

.
Nice pics.

I hear it's from chemtrails.

Re: Odd Things

Re: Odd Things

The air in LA has been as bad the past two days as it's been for our Bay Area friends for the past week.  Worse, my favorite road has been overrun by fire at what was a very beautiful section.
Where? Which fire? The Gender Fire?

Re: Odd Things

Re: Odd Things

oldironnow
Anybody gotta guess?

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/the-rider/

Re: Odd Things

motogrady

I was thinking Gary Nixon, but I don't think he ever did any euro racing.
Plus, I believe he passed before the blue pill.

KRoberts, he was after that time.

Who was a dirt tracker and rode street.  All of them when the Grand Nationals were in.
Mann didn't live that lifestyle. Or  Lawill.  Or Reswerber.

It's gotta be an American from the late 50s or early 60s.

12